Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

When I started driving in the early 70’s my mk2 Cortina could be opened and started with a flat bladed screwdriver.

in recent years cars became almost impossible to steal without physically having the key, hence the rise in home burglaries to find the keys.

Advances (tongue in cheek) in technology, keyless entry / start, canbus systems have made theft more of a possibility, vehicle security seems to have taken a step backwards, manufacturers really need to step up and identify these weaknesses and make these systems less vulnerable.

I never thought that I’d be buying a Stoplock again but it’s as good a visible deterrent as any

1 hour ago, Dushio said:

Like you, if I had known about this security issue and that it is so easy to get into the car, (about 90 seconds) I would have chosen another car

Please don't take this as me being flippant, it's not intended to be, but what car would you have bought instead? Sadly, most modern cars have exactly the same vulnerability for this Canbus attack, the variability is only how easy it is to access the Canbus wires, which I agree seems a little less hassle in the RAV4. 

It's terrible to have one stolen but the RAV is still not in the top 20 of vehicles stolen per 1000. Best not getting a Land Rover, Range Rover or Ford Focus!

• Like 1

So I really like the hybrid ethos - a CRV hybrid would have been top of the list (I have to exclude Lexus as they have the same issues - although Lexus are starting to address their issues), or the Mazda ( who have recently brought out a plug in hybrid). Neither have the 10 year warranty but there appears little point having a 10 year warranty if the car can be stolen in 90 seconds from almost under your nose!

So for me I stay with the cars I have, with a Stoplock Pro fitted at all times and a discreet sticker from Amazon in the windscreen that says a Viper alarm and immobiliser is fitted for £2.50) plus the car always parked on 1 lock off of centre to make it awkward to get access to the front passenger wheel arch. 

I will only change the cars if the insurance policies come renewal time are stupid. No point having an economical car if the cost of insurance is thru’ the roof. 

So they took the car and dash cams but didn't take out the DCM as you're lucky/unlucky enough to get it back, it was clearly ready to be used with cloned plates

I take it you have the correct plates on the car

4 hours ago, Radoslaw said:

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately my Rav4 was targeted as well.

[snip]

Sorry to hear about your car. May I ask where in Essex you are? Is the London end or further afield?

11 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Sorry to hear about your car. May I ask where in Essex you are? Is the London end or further afield?

Chadwell St Mary (Grays)

Thanks. Pretty close to London then.

Saw this stolen/recovered RAV4 on Copart for sale, the pictures tell the tale of how it was stolen and the lengths they went to try and disable tracking, even down to ripping off the sharkfin. Shocking damage.

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/58573053/clean-title-2021-toyota-rav4-excel-sandy

• Like 1

This security issue is so bad now that if Purchasers knew in advance, they just wouldn’t but these affected Toyota and Lexus models - I know for sure I wouldn’t!

My insurance has increased by 70% this time and that was the cheapest quote out of 15 insurers - a combination of living in an area (London) where vehicle theft is out of control and having a RAV4 that can be stolen in 90 seconds ( if you are foolish enough not to use a Krooklock).

it’s such a shame, my RAV4 when driven gently but at the same pace as other vehicles on mixed roads gives almost 60 mpg and that’s with roof bars fitted. Great car but I think a Tesla beckons for next year - apparently they cannot be stolen at all. A friend told me that Tesla now boast that a Tesla Model Y has the same overall running costs as a Toyota Corolla. 

10 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Saw this stolen/recovered RAV4 on Copart for sale, the pictures tell the tale of how it was stolen and the lengths they went to try and disable tracking, even down to ripping off the sharkfin. Shocking damage.

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/58573053/clean-title-2021-toyota-rav4-excel-sandy

There seems to be to much unnecessary  damage to the car, if it was stolen to make money from it.

37 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

There seems to be to much unnecessary  damage to the car, if it was stolen to make money from it.

That’s what puzzles me, unless the plan is to strip down and sell for spares or to ring a write off 

You are assuming that the folk stealing these cars aren't incredibly stupid ... which they probably are!

And, as an aside, there's little to be gained by giving more detail on how to successfully steal a car on these forums ... 😉

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

You are assuming that the folk stealing these cars aren't incredibly stupid ... which they probably are!

And, as an aside, there's little to be gained by giving more detail on how to successfully steal a car on these forums ... 😉

Yes but why all the damage on the rear door, looks like shear vandalism. 

Sorry Roger, but your question:

52 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Yes but why all the damage on the rear door, looks like shear vandalism. 

My answer:

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also follow a Facebook group for RAV4 owners. There have been a couple of posts this week of interest that I thought I'd mention.

First, an "attack" on a RAV4 in the London area. They didn't manage to steal the car but tried hard, despite it having a Stoplock on. Some shocking pictures of the damage. The photos show the importance of fitting the Stoplock in the right place though. If the locking prongs hadn't been either side of the spoke, it's likely it would have gone.

Second, one poster claims to have their car booked into the dealer tomorrow to get the Toyota fix for the vulnerability. It seems to be along the lines of one of our DIY members in installing some sort of metal shield plate for the wiring loom or connectors. Apparently they are charging £240 for the "fix". Another person's dealer has said it's £170. There is a suggestion Toyota will write to owners in due course and offer this modification but they are supposedly focusing on London and the surrounding area first. Mine is in for service on Friday so I might ask my dealer what they know about this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nlee said:

I also follow a Facebook group for RAV4 owners. There have been a couple of posts this week of interest that I thought I'd mention.

First, an "attack" on a RAV4 in the London area. They didn't manage to steal the car but tried hard, despite it having a Stoplock on. Some shocking pictures of the damage. The photos show the importance of fitting the Stoplock in the right place though. If the locking prongs hadn't been either side of the spoke, it's likely it would have gone.

Second, one poster claims to have their car booked into the dealer tomorrow to get the Toyota fix for the vulnerability. It seems to be along the lines of one of our DIY members in installing some sort of metal shield plate for the wiring loom or connectors. Apparently they are charging £240 for the "fix". Another person's dealer has said it's £170. There is a suggestion Toyota will write to owners in due course and offer this modification but they are supposedly focusing on London and the surrounding area first. Mine is in for service on Friday so I might ask my dealer what they know about this.

Yes, I’ve been following those posts, I now ensure that my Stoplock Pro is fitted as you suggest.

The problem with the fix is there is no way for the would be thieves to know if the car they are targeting has had the fix or not, and a certain amount of damage will have been done by the time they find out.

Still at least it’s better than it being stolen and even more damage being done.

It would be a nice gesture if Toyota were to offer the fix FOC or at cost, after all most of us will have shelled out around £40k for a car with an extremely poor security design fault built in.

Absolutely. I’ve bought some professional stickers that state the car is fitted with an alarm and an immobiliser, all for the sun if £2.50. So they might just think not to open the door because an alarm will sound. 
I do not wish to alarm owners of RAV4 2029 onwards but it’s pretty much guaranteed that your car will be stolen within 90 seconds unless you have a Krooklock fitted. 
For £50 you pretty much stop all theft, I know it’s a pain but when you consider the aggro of having to claim for a stolen car it’s so cheap. Oh and a new RAV4  is at least an 8 month waiting list!!

9 hours ago, Dushio said:

I do not wish to alarm owners of RAV4 2029 onwards but it’s pretty much guaranteed that your car will be stolen within 90 seconds unless you have a Krooklock fitted.

That's more than a little alarmist hyperbole. Perhaps you meant to say that your car could or can be stolen rather than will?

10 hours ago, Dushio said:

I do not wish to alarm owners of RAV4 2029 onwards but it’s pretty much guaranteed that your car will be stolen within 90 seconds unless you have a Krooklock fitted. 

Hopefully by 2029 a solution to the Canbus vulnerability will reduce thefts - but by which time thieves will probably have moved onto another method ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, nlee said:

Ouch, £240!!!!   I am that person that made that fix and was giving away all of the details to anyone who wished to make one.I also did put on stickers to say that there was add on security. As said though it won't stop the damage done but at least you will still have your car.

I should have approached Toyota with my design 🤣🤣.

Terry

• Like 5

Hurrah! The solution to the problem has been found. We can all rest easy now.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/keyless-car-hacking-equipment-to-be-banned-to-cut-rise-in-car-thefts/ar-AA1fUZZV

Sometimes I wonder if Westminster has more than two braincells to rub together in the whole place.

• Haha 5

It really does make you wonder if we'd actually be better served by a lettuce sometimes... :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Hurrah! The solution to the problem has been found. We can all rest easy now.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/keyless-car-hacking-equipment-to-be-banned-to-cut-rise-in-car-thefts/ar-AA1fUZZV

Sometimes I wonder if Westminster has more than two braincells to rub together in the whole place.

Ha, so Sammy !Removed! won't acquire this equipment anymore because it's illegal to own it.

I shall now remove my gadget and not bother with the steering lock anymore.

NOT.

TERRY

So cool banning stuff, so pleased these public servants are really on it. I'd hate to think any of us were wasting our money on people who really hadn't got a proper grip on the realities and complexities of criminality.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links