Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

This brings back memories of when I had a hidden switch on my Mini which cut of the ignition and worked. Are we getting too clever now with fancy electronics

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roker said:

This brings back memories of when I had a hidden switch on my Mini which cut of the ignition and worked. Are we getting too clever now with fancy electronics

It was a simple job back then, break into the LT side of the ignition coil and hide a switch somewhere in the cabin, the way modern electronics are I wouldn’t know where to start.

Keyless entry and Keyless start both solutions to a problem that didn’t exist that has quite literally opened the door for the thieves.

• Like 1

Went to my local dealer (single showroom, independent) explained what I am after and got the initial reply that RAV4 mk5 does not have a canbas vulnerability and the part number is not a Toyota part code. Had to show youtube video of RAV4 theft, picture of the fitted part and say that Auris Catlock part number is also starting with GBNGA, in the end we agreed that they will raise a case with Toyota. Not the best customer service, but will see what they come back with.

2 hours ago, George22 said:

Just been to my dealer and he looked it up with the part number. I watched him find the part online and buried in the page said “cost £4.20” he didn’t notice I had seen this, then he said part cost £70 and around £130 labour. What a rip off I thought. I said I would think about it, hopefully it will becom a recall issue. The picture was the same as below Part no GBN GAB RACK01. (Picture taken from another post) 

IMG_7210.jpeg

Hello, Is this part to stop the bumper being pulled off or to block access to the light plug via the wheel arch liner.Sorry but can't quite work out where that pic is on the Rav 4

Terry

3 hours ago, Roger_N said:

I would say it's to stop access to the connector for the headlight.

Thanks Roger, I have already blocked that one. It's those brackets to stop the bumper being pulled off that I am interested in.

regards Terry

37 minutes ago, Adaml99 said:

the guy (Ian Tabor) who discovered the vulnerability (and got his black RAV4 stolen) gave a detailed presentation last week on how the CAN BUS exploit works.

So he is actually publicising how to steal the Rav4 using the Canbus exploit - very helpful to some  non-Toyota owners !!

Do we really want this displayed?

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So he is actually publicising how to steal the Rav4 using the Canbus exploit - very helpful to some  non-Toyota owners !!

Absolutely not. Am I right in assuming that that is on utube for all to see?Terry

27 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Posts hidden - we really don't need to be publicizing this on an open forum. Youtube can do what it wants ......

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Posts hidden - we really don't need to be publicizing this on an open forum. Youtube can do what it wants ......

Thank you

regards Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I don’t see the difference between what has been discussed at length in this thread to what is shown in the presentation. In fact, this presentation can be used to help explain the security vulnerabilities to those who don’t realise their cars are in serious danger of theft, therefore needing to mitigate against it as a matter of urgency. 

It’s a bit naive to think that car thieves are just using this open forum as a source of information. But it’s your call, you are the admin.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Adaml99 said:

It’s a bit naive to think that car thieves are just using this open forum as a source of information.

There was no implication that theives are just using this open forum as a source of information - but including this video on a site largely dedicated to Toyotas isn't helping matters, especially when it is an open forum which allows guests to read posts, etc.

It is also unhelpful of you to highlight where in the video, there is a list of makes and models the hacking device can be used for. 

Now move on.

• Like 2

Is this another one ?

"They then double back as one tampers with the front nearside corner as the other acts as a lookout. In around a minute the car thief has managed to open and start the car, with his accomplice jumping in shortly afterwards and they then speed off towards College Road in the Kingstanding area."  

"“I spoke to Lexus and asked then ‘when are you going to roll this out as a recall’. They said: ‘we only roll out for safety issues.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/moment-aston-villa-fan-50k-27797506

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shared said:

“I spoke to Lexus and asked then ‘when are you going to roll this out as a recall’. They said: ‘we only roll out for safety issues.”

The system that DVSA operate is only for prospective safety issues, and manufacturers cannot use this system to contact owners for other problem areas.

Security weaknesses won't be covered, and it is down to the manufacturer to take whatever action they see fit to address these other issues. Seems that Toyota have gone down the Toyota Service Bulletin route, and Lexus will have their own equivalent.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Roker said:

Yep, my Dad did this and I did this back in the day.   So simple and so effective.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rav4ster said:

Went to my local dealer (single showroom, independent) explained what I am after and got the initial reply that RAV4 mk5 does not have a canbas vulnerability and the part number is not a Toyota part code. Had to show youtube video of RAV4 theft, picture of the fitted part and say that Auris Catlock part number is also starting with GBNGA, in the end we agreed that they will raise a case with Toyota. Not the best customer service, but will see what they come back with.

The dealer got back to me. Toyota advised them that the plates are not available to all dealers yet. My dealer will need to do an allocation request and will find out cost at the same time.

I watched the video before it was “hidden” and one of the guys said that “Direct Line have stopped insuring Range Rovers because of the theft issues”

I hope the insurance companies don’t take this approach with the affected Toyota models or massively hike the premiums up through no fault of the owners.

• Like 2

Not just Direct Line who are refusing to insure Range Rover vehicles, other insurers are refusing to cover these in London, where theft is very high.

Think the numbers of Rav4s being stolen are way below Range Rover levels.

DVLA released the top ten most stolen cars in the UK earlier this year, and no Toyotas were included then. Range Rover was at no.2 and Discovery at no.5 - with thefts up by 47% and 52% respectively.

Fiesta was no.1, with thefts up by 53%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigsby said:

I watched the video before it was “hidden” and one of the guys said that “Direct Line have stopped insuring Range Rovers because of the theft issues”

I hope the insurance companies don’t take this approach with the affected Toyota models or massively hike the premiums up through no fault of the owners.

Have just renewed mine and it was a ~50% increase on last year. Not specifically because it's a RAV but because there are similar increases across the board.
If I lived nearer central London that may be a different story.

18 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Have just renewed mine and it was a ~50% increase on last year. Not specifically because it's a RAV but because there are similar increases across the board.
If I lived nearer central London that may be a different story.

Renewed mine in March and was very happy with the cover and premium but obviously concerned with all the negative publicity around the CanBus attacks that premiums may increase by more others.

Costs for repair of all car are increasing but newer cars, like Hybrids, PHEV’s and Electric vehicles, with the cost of ECU’s are pushing up repair costs the most. As can be seen from the start of this topic with cost of the wiring loom at £2000 to be replaced.

As The Car Care Nut said in one of his videos get gap insurance as an accident can easily right off a Rav4 if the damage is to the left-hand front side, as this is where most of the electronics are.

• Like 2

So I have my car booked in with Listers Coventry on 3rd November.  They said Toyota provide the parts free and that Toyota have marked it as 1 hour of labour, so I will pay that one hour.

I got the chap to guarantee that even if it took longer I wouldn't pay more.  I'm the first one being done there.

Their labour cost is £135, I know some charge less but it is by far my nearest dealer.

I will reach out to Toyota Nuneaton about this. They are a sister to the Toyota Coventry. Having read some more recent replies has the 2023 HEV had some update to improve the security and de-risk this?

Does anyone know if a Toyota warning sticker is placed on the car once the CANBUS theft deterrent is fitted, to stop them damaging the car before they discover its protected?

15 minutes ago, George22 said:

Does anyone know if a Toyota warning sticker is placed on the car once the CANBUS theft deterrent is fitted, to stop them damaging the car before they discover its protected?

No, annoyingly, so people are having their own done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links