Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Does anyone know or have access to an Auto electrician on this forum?

I’m thinking installation of a kill switch to the Start button or Fuel pump or both!

16 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Although it is not possible to see properly it does look like that was a disklok. The thief did not appear to remove the lock from wheel but only cut enough of the lock, maybe the bar, so that the car could be steered.

It looks like they attached the cable then came back later and just plugged the device in, maybe something scared them off.

Could be a new tactic to not to loose an expensive equipment. First they come to cut the wheel arch and attach the cable and then come back later with the actual device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kucyk said:

It looks like they attached the cable then came back later and just plugged the device in, maybe something scared them off.

Could be a new tactic to not to loose an expensive equipment. First they come to cut the wheel arch and attach the cable and then come back later with the actual device.

Good call. I hadn't thought of that and it is far more likely than anything radically new to get at the CAN loom.

Interesting attack on [what looks to be] the disklok. They were clearly not bothered about making noise and it appeared that they only did as much as needed to be able to steer the car.

4 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Good call. I hadn't thought of that and it is far more likely than anything radically new to get at the CAN loom.

Interesting attack on [what looks to be] the disklok. They were clearly not bothered about making noise and it appeared that they only did as much as needed to be able to steer the car.

Oh dear, back to blocking off access to the headlight then.

Anybody got any more information on these brackets that were referred to on page 43/44 ( I think) to stop the front bumper from be pulled forward ?
my gadget that I designed and fitted will stop access via the wing liner but not so sure when it comes to pulling the bumper forward if it also moves the headlight as well.

Terry

I got a call from my dealer this afternoon (Toyota dealer that I got my car from) they had responded to an email I sent to Toyota uk asking about the can-bus attack plates, they said that the plates are free but it’s a £70 charge for fitting, booked it in for next week, I also asked about adding a ghost II immobiliser specifically how it would affect the warranty but they didn’t say, I’ll go with the plates for now.

I need to get her ladyships booked in next too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Renquist said:

I got a call from my dealer this afternoon (Toyota dealer that I got my car from) they had responded to an email I sent to Toyota uk asking about the can-bus attack plates, they said that the plates are free but it’s a £70 charge for fitting, booked it in for next week, I also asked about adding a ghost II immobiliser specifically how it would affect the warranty but they didn’t say, I’ll go with the plates for now.

I need to get her ladyships booked in next too.

Hi, that all sounds like good news. Could I possibly get a copy of the email address you used to contact them, I can only find a contact page. Thanks. 

• Like 2

Can bus plates installation is booked with the local dealer. They had to speak to Toyota first, who confirmed that the customer is only paying the £70 labour charge. Campaign bulletin is WB853, Part no is GBN GAB RACK01

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

Does anyone have a photo of these plates in place?

Only have a photo of one of them, not mine as not been done yet  

IMG_7210.jpeg

25 minutes ago, George22 said:

Only have a photo of one of them, not mine as not been done yet  

IMG_7210.jpeg

Where is this located, as i can't see mines anywhere?

The plate with "obd" on it is fitted over the latch on the plug. You are looking at the underside of the LH headlamp.

The RH side looks the same but is more difficult to get at because there is more stuff in the way.

• Like 1

Took mine back to dealer today to have my dog guard fitted what I ordered when I bought it and bonnet alignment sorted as out, anyway when they booked it in I said about the security issue and plate available and had they heard of it to which they said a few days ago they received a TSB regarding it, whilst in there they said they had got hold of the kit and would fit it as well, they charged me £70 for fitting that was it , all done well happy with them at Ipswich toyota .

You might have saved yourself £70 as your 2023 model RAV4 is, allegedly, unaffected by the problem being that it uses signed CANbus comms.

I would love to have a definitive answer as to which models and years are actually vulnerable and which are not.

I would expect that information to be included in the campaign bulletin - WB853(?) - but it does not seem to be easy to find.

44 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

You might have saved yourself £70 as your 2023 model RAV4 is, allegedly, unaffected by the problem being that it uses signed CANbus comms.

I would love to have a definitive answer as to which models and years are actually vulnerable and which are not.

I would expect that information to be included in the campaign bulletin - WB853(?) - but it does not seem to be easy to find.

Really ! Well they fitted it any way first one they have done apparently too.

3 hours ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

That's my point: I am not convinced that the dealer network really knows about or understands the problem, which models are or are not affected or what they should be telling customers.

It is tempting to think that they know more than they are letting on but then I am reminded to apply Hanlon's Razor.

That said, I have a good relationship with the guys at my dealer and I hope that my next conversation with them about this will be fruitful.

• Like 2

Looking at the photo of the "plate", it's hard to put it scale, but compared to the connector size, it looks quite small. Hard to believe it's £70 worth of labour, and if some of the other suggestions are true, where the dealer has tried to charge for the part, about £150 for the part.

Obviously something is better than nothing but I'm not convinced I'd rely on this for protection over other methods being employed. As well as there still being the issue of damage before discovering the plate is fitted, and the likelihood it would initially slow the attempt to steal, it doesn't look impossible to break it, or pull the wires. It may not have the convenience of a simple plug into the connector, but it wouldn't be too difficult to tap into the Canbus wires.

Seems like a quick "fix" for now but far from a robust and sustainable solution, in my mind.

11 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

That's my point: I am not convinced that the dealer network really knows about or understands the problem, which models are or are not affected or what they should be telling customers.

It is tempting to think that they know more than they are letting on but then I am reminded to apply Hanlon's Razor.

That said, I have a good relationship with the guys at my dealer and I hope that my next conversation with them about this will be fruitful.

The dealer network definitely hasn't got a clue about these thefts or even Toyota fix. I finally got to have a conversation with a guy in my local dealers and the guy was quite taken aback when I told him about it all. He has taken all the details and is looking into it for me.The fact that Toyota are only making this available in the London area is right out of line. Do they think that because I live in Devon I won't get my car stolen and do they also think that we never go to London and the Midlands.They need to get their act together as we all paid good money for these cars. A big thank you to the guy who has posted the part numbers on this page for us all.

Terry

I have an appointment in Jemca Sidcup (London Area) to fit the plates for 70£ on 2nd of November.

image.thumb.png.481f4838b5b0c285a6a44ad1489a3c19.png

1 hour ago, nlee said:

Looking at the photo of the "plate", it's hard to put it scale, but compared to the connector size, it looks quite small. Hard to believe it's £70 worth of labour, and if some of the other suggestions are true, where the dealer has tried to charge for the part, about £150 for the part.

Obviously something is better than nothing but I'm not convinced I'd rely on this for protection over other methods being employed. As well as there still being the issue of damage before discovering the plate is fitted, and the likelihood it would initially slow the attempt to steal, it doesn't look impossible to break it, or pull the wires. It may not have the convenience of a simple plug into the connector, but it wouldn't be too difficult to tap into the Canbus wires.

Seems like a quick "fix" for now but far from a robust and sustainable solution, in my mind.

I saw the dealer screen for the part and it said cost to Toyota for the part was £4.20 

8 minutes ago, George22 said:

I saw the dealer screen for the part and it said cost to Toyota for the part was £4.20 

Don't know what you did see but I can assure you it wasn't the cost price

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Could it be the VAT element of the cost?

I suspect you didn't have your glasses on 👓The part is £64.20 plus VAT, I think you tried to knock £60 off 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I suspect you didn't have your glasses on 👓The part is £64.20 plus VAT, I think you tried to knock £60 off 🤣🤣

Hi, you mention ‘the part’ is it two parts, thought I read somewhere there is two plates, one for the left and one for the right? ’

I’ m sure you are right and also the lack of glasses 😂

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, Strangely Brown said:

can I ask someone with a 2023 model to check to see if theirs has been done already , you can see them easily if you lift the bonnet as just checked they actually did fit them, also don’t know why they pull the bumper off as looks like they would only need to cut the inner wheel arch liner . I have ordered a couple of warning stickers to put onto the side windows to help hopefully.

IMG_1386.thumb.jpeg.7d642404072e690c72acfaca7859bb06.jpegIMG_1387.thumb.jpeg.8fa66fd3fcfb56267e2a6093e72f4e1b.jpeg

On 10/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Rav4ster said:

Can bus plates installation is booked with the local dealer. They had to speak to Toyota first, who confirmed that the customer is only paying the £70 labour charge. Campaign bulletin is WB853, Part no is GBN GAB RACK01

Thanks Ravster for listing the details. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links