Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Just dropped my car off for work and woman in front with RAV4 was being informed about the availability of a free tracker. Service guy doing his best to say it was a good thing without panicking the woman about her car's vulnerability.

Mildly confused reading recent posts. I own a 2023 PHEV which I gather isn't exposed to the CANBUS theft. I can see where my vehicle is and I can see if doors are open etc...... So, it already has a tracker fitted by Toyota? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, JimRoyle said:

Mildly confused reading recent posts. I own a 2023 PHEV which I gather isn't exposed to the CANBUS theft. I can see where my vehicle is and I can see if doors are open etc...... So, it already has a tracker fitted by Toyota? Thanks.

Yes, and no ... The car reports its position back to Toyota using the DCM system at the end of every trip. The owner can therefore track its location (Find My Car) using the My Toyota app. To that extent all modern Toyotas can be tracked by their owners.

But this relies on communication between the car and Toyota, Toyota updating the information on their servers and the app collecting the information in a timely fashion - and this is somewhat less than 100% reliable ... 😉

The car is not fitted with a recognised Tracker that can provide information to law enforcement officials. So, the current state of play for RAVs vulnerable to CANbus attack is to fit protection plates (which are better than nothing but can be 'overcome') and a proper Tracker to increase the chance that the car can be recovered after it has been stolen.

But you've got a post 2022 car and a PHEV so you really don't care! 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JimRoyle said:

I can see where my vehicle is and I can see if doors are open etc...... So, it already has a tracker fitted by Toyota? Thanks.

That's not classed as a security tracker - it's just Toyota location / smart services that can easily be disabled by a car thief.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments. Fully understood. 

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Yes, and no ... The car reports its position back to Toyota using the DCM system at the end of every trip. The owner can therefore track its location (Find My Car) using the My Toyota app. To that extent all modern Toyotas can be tracked by their owners.

But this relies on communication between the car and Toyota, Toyota updating the information on their servers and the app collecting the information in a timely fashion - and this is somewhat less than 100% reliable ... 😉

The car is not fitted with a recognised Tracker that can provide information to law enforcement officials. So, the current state of play for RAVs vulnerable to CANbus attack is to fit protection plates (which are better than nothing but can be 'overcome') and a proper Tracker to increase the chance that the car can be recovered after it has been stolen.

But you've got a post 2022 car and a PHEV so you really don't care! 🙂

So my September 23 HEV dynamic should be ok also even though my dealer fitted the plates for me ?

18 minutes ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

So my September 23 HEV dynamic should be ok also even though my dealer fitted the plates for me ?

Yes - that was a waste of a set of plates! 😉 (Particularly as there is now some evidence that 'they' can get around the plates anyway!)

Unfortunately, nothing would stop the cretins from trying and failing, doing damage to the car in the process but c'est la vie ... 🤷‍♂️

Thank you , I use an old school krooklock if I leave it anywhere anyway as can’t be too careful.

Just read another post on a Facebook group with a 2nd attempted theft in as many weeks where the bumper has been cut and the light harness pulled through. Both cases were reportedly in North Lincolnshire so please stay vigilant if you are in that area.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/9/2024 at 7:36 PM, chilaspt said:

Have you checked your cars for recalls recently? Mine shows a recall now and it didn't have anything a couple of months ago... Not sure what it is though... I'll need to call the dealership and ask tomorrow AM.

I'm at the dealership, and I can confirm that the outstanding recall is in fact to get the tracker fitted...

I thought it was not possible for toyota to do this as it did not pose a safety or fire risk...

I'm just booked for an MOT today, will have to come back for the Tracker when they and I have time, (maybe for the next service) 

On 10/10/2024 at 7:52 AM, Strangely Brown said:

This will not be done as a recall as that is only for safety related items. This will be a campaign and will not show up in the recall checker.

That said: I checked anyway and got this:

"Recall Checker
Error
Sorry, there is an issue with the data we have available on this vehicle. Please contact your local dealer who will be able to assist further."

Looks like I'll be talking to the dealer anyway.

Toyota in Guilford told me about it when I arrived for the MOT today, and they confirm that the recall is for the tracker to be installed.

Hopefully Toyota will allow people to refuse the recall if they don't want the tracking device fitting to their vehicle.

But will this affect one's insurance if you don't have the tracker fitted and the car gets stolen?

On 10/10/2024 at 7:46 AM, Strangely Brown said:

Well, the posts from "Toyota UK" do state quite clearly that the device is available and can be fitted FoC. It would appear that you may have to get this organised through cr@toyota.co.uk to ensure that the dealer knows it is not be charged but that is no different to the plates when they were first available.

So, do I bother chasing this and getting one? Not sure. If it's free and is fitted invisibly then there is nothing to lose but it doesn't solve the problem. All this does is mitigate the consequences and, IMHO, that's not enough. It's a fudge, not a fix. No doubt the Toyota bean counters have decided that this is "affordable" whereas a retrofit of newer technology from the 2023> cars is not.

Maybe time for a chat with my friendly service manager.

51 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Hopefully Toyota will allow people to refuse the recall if they don't want the tracking device fitting to their vehicle.

My local dealership had no problems with me not having it installed today, so I think it's not mandatory 

45 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

But will this affect one's insurance if you don't have the tracker fitted and the car gets stolen?

Some owners may already have paid to have a better Thatcham insurance approved tracking device fitted to the vehicle.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Some owners may already have paid to have a better Thatcham insurance approved tracking device fitted to the vehicle.

Yes, but those who haven't ...

Just tried the Recall Checker, entered both the VIN and VRM it comes up with the details of my car, click “confirm this is your vehicle” and this comes up.

Will have to contact the dealer.

IMG_0138.png

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes, but those who haven't ...

Up to them if they want it fitting or not.

If an insurance company insisted on a Thatcham approved tracking device for theft cover then it's a good idea.

Thing is most insurance companies don't care about tracking devices on Toyota / Lexus vehicles affected by CAN invader theft issue.

The insurance companies either refuse to offer cover OR insist on a secondary Thatcham or TASSA immobiliser to be fitted instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rigsby said:

Just tried the Recall Checker, entered both the VIN and VRM it comes up with the details of my car, click “confirm this is your vehicle” and this comes up.

Will have to contact the dealer.

IMG_0138.png

Likewise ... this morning it was saying the there was a data problem and to contact the dealer.

Either way, it suggests that cars like ours, that are affected by the CANbus vulnerability, are not subject to a current service campaign or safety recall. 

it will not be on the recall checker as it is not safety-related, and there is no Toyota-wide campaign on the TSB system

the only relevant tsb there is

24SD-022T  

Wire harness rework for Accessory 2nd Immobilizer on Multiple Models

dated. 05/03/2024 (revised from the original in 2022)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, flash22 said:

it will not be on the recall checker as it is not safety-related, and there is no Toyota-wide campaign on the TSB system

the only relevant tsb there is

24SD-022T  

Wire harness rework for Accessory 2nd Immobilizer on Multiple Models

dated. 05/03/2024 (revised from the original in 2022)

I was at the dealership today for an MOT, when I arrived they told me there was a recall, I asked what it was, the guy said it was for the immobilizer to be installed. The DVLA recall checker also says there is a recall. I don't have a 2nd immobilizer. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

I was at the dealership today for an MOT, when I arrived they told me there was a recall, I asked what it was, the guy said it was for the immobilizer to be installed. The DVLA recall checker also says there is a recall. I don't have a 2nd immobilizer. 

And still no "recalls" on mine - but I live in rural Powys and the sheep don't tend to nick cars, while you are in "Greater London" (where they do). It could be that some slightly surprising intelligence has been applied! 😉

• Haha 2

I am down ere in Devonshire where we grow straw out of our ears!
Went in for an electrical fault last week and when I collected the car they told me that they had fitted the tracker whilst it was in!  In fairness to the dealer I had been giving them a hard time over recent months about the alleged security upgrade they were supposed to have done by April this year. Don't have a problem with it personally.

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Toyota have gone all Oprah with these trackers.

You get a free tracker, you get a free tracker, you get a free tracker 😅

Also see the protection plates for RAV4 now free of charge fitment mentioned more then once. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links