Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing chain replacement advice on Toyota auris 2009 1.33 petrol

driver10

Hi all hope you are doing well. I recently had a p0016 code. I took it to a garage and the mechanic said my timing chain must’ve stretched slightly as there was no obvious tell tell signs of timing chain is gone such as the tik tik sound when the engine is running.

he advised me to get the timing chain changed. Has anyone changed their timing chain on a 1.33 auris and where did you get part from? Local parts shop don’t have it ready 😞 Do I just need the chain or the do I need to provide the sprockets aswell (the two circular objects )

my car has done 97000 miles.

Hi, have you done research online what can be the issue other than stretched timing chain? Sensor perhaps, wire harness? Toyota chains usually last longer than that. Has the car been serviced on time always, good quality oil used ? Maybe second opinion and another check. Timing chains usually has a yellow paint mark on them and if the paint is still there and intact means the chain it’s fine and no need replacement. You can lift up the cam cover and inspect that plus the tension of the chain when crankshaft is set at the marks 0° 

When car is parked up for a few hours and the car is started again. I do hear a rattling noise. This has happened a for last 3 years, but only recently I got the p0016 error code 

7 hours ago, driver10 said:

When car is parked up for a few hours and the car is started again. I do hear a rattling noise. This has happened a for last 3 years, but only recently I got the p0016 error code 

Well, rattling noise on cold start is typical for timing chain hydraulic tensioner failure or vvti sprocket. It will need dismantling and checking all parts in question and then decide what needs to be changed. It might not be the chain itself but any of the other two above. YouTube plenty of videos about similar issues on Corolla. You can watch mayocars and the car care nut channels, they explain well about it. 

One or two times I heard this kind of noise since I have the car, it was the one way valve of oil filter, has not been able to retain the oil inside the engine; changed the oil and filter, problem solved !

How often did you change your oil?

I would get second opinion before doing anything.

8 minutes ago, furtula said:

How often did you change your oil?

I would get second opinion before doing anything.

Oil is changed annually. I have changed it every year since 2017

3 hours ago, tavy said:

One or two times I heard this kind of noise since I have the car, it was the one way valve of oil filter, has not been able to retain the oil inside the engine; changed the oil and filter, problem solved !

May I have a link to which oil filter you use please.

Someone can do 30k miles, and some can do 5k miles annually. I was more interested at what mileage.

2 hours ago, driver10 said:

May I have a link to which oil filter you use please.

mann filters, in general I'm happy with them, but I think at that time I used Denso... 

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Someone can do 30k miles, and some can do 5k miles annually. I was more interested at what mileage.

Happened at aprox 20k miles on the clock. 

I'm doing 5... 7k miles annually with this car. 

Problem happened at starting the car after few weeks, oil reached chain tensioner after few seconds, not a big deal... 

Sorry for multiple posting. 

• Like 1

Most chain tensioners has a one way valve built in to keep oil inside for when engine is off. With the time the valve gets clogged or stop retaining oil properly and that’s why only on cold start the engine can rattle. Once the engine build in oil pressure the oil pressure itself adjust the tension of the chain and no more rattling. 
Engine flush, New Oil change and new oil filter change. Use quality oil within the spec of the car , not newest C types. See how it works and replace tensioner as first steps, open valve cover and inspect timing chain first. 👍

• Like 2

I reckon Tony's right - chain tensioner or VVTi sprocket.

Chain tensioner is fairly self-explanatory.

The VVTi sprocket has a peg which locks it in place when the car is switched off, but if it gets stuck the VVTi will flop around knocking against its stops when the car is started, until oil pressure builds up.

If the car is slightly more hesitant to start than usual, that leans it more toward the sprocket/cam phaser.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I changed camshaft sensor and changed my oil, the code has returned. I will need to change my timing chain.

can I just change the chain or do I need to change the gears aswell?

also any links where I can purchase what I need ?

2 hours ago, driver10 said:

I changed camshaft sensor and changed my oil, the code has returned. I will need to change my timing chain.

can I just change the chain or do I need to change the gears aswell?

also any links where I can purchase what I need ?

Best to check with Toyota dealer first for prices and then you can get oem part numbers from here https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota

and search on eBay and Amazon. If you are after aftermarket parts look for febi or blue print brands for timing chain and all related parts. They are high quality. 

Timing chain gone with only 97k miles?  Not keeping up with the oil changes, or going for longer oil change intervals?

Have you tried replacing the tensioner first? It's only 2 screws and it's relatively easily accessible as it's on top of the engine, towards the passengers.

There's even a few videos online on how to do it, as there's a small clip to hold it in, and you need to rotate the engine manually after installing, to release the tensioner.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, driver10 said:

Hi all hope you are doing well. I recently had a p0016 code. I took it to a garage and the mechanic said my timing chain must’ve stretched slightly as there was no obvious tell tell signs of timing chain is gone such as the tik tik sound when the engine is running.

he advised me to get the timing chain changed. Has anyone changed their timing chain on a 1.33 auris and where did you get part from? Local parts shop don’t have it ready 😞 Do I just need the chain or the do I need to provide the sprockets aswell (the two circular objects )

my car has done 97000 miles.

I will be very suspicious with your mechanics telling you that a Toyota timing chain strech.  They never have this issues. You can see the timing chain yellow painted marks (3 points). If they are still bright yellow, they are never been overheated and can be reused for another 400k miles.  The common problem is the intake VVTi Sprocket.  you only need to replace the sprocket with the updated version, put the guides, tensioners, chain back and done.  The mechanics must know how to clean the timing chain cover really-really well and replace the timing chain top guide (very top) that often need replacement and get the most beating from rattling.  It is labor intensive job, always get genuine parts from local dealership.   Probably you will need genuine silicon sealant, updated sprocket, tensioner, and top timing chain guide.  The rattling have different level. If it is only during cold start for less than 1 second, you can still drive it for another 100k miles like I did with my old car and I sold it without fixing it at 200k miles.  

• Like 1

I got my timing chain changed. Managed to find a kit.  hopefully my issue is sorted. The mechanic told me the chain was slightly stretched. Hopefully that’s the end of this problem.

• Like 1

@driver10 Let us know how it goes. Do you also change the top chain guides and intake vvti sprocket? Those 2 are the first things failed. I never heard any Toyota timing chain failure unless the rattling on thr sprocket was left for 100k miles or more.

On 12/25/2022 at 11:01 PM, AisinW said:

@driver10 Let us know how it goes. Do you also change the top chain guides and intake vvti sprocket? Those 2 are the first things failed. I never heard any Toyota timing chain failure unless the rattling on thr sprocket was left for 100k miles or more.

Yes the chain, the 2 gears/cogs, the chain guides were replaced. Last few days it’s been cold and car has been parked over night. When starting the car I have not heard any rattling. No sign of the original error code. I will message again if I get the error code again. 

• Like 3

Slightly stretched chain is fine for that mileage.

I guess the kit includes the new tensioner, this could have been the only thing that needed changing, atleast i would start with that, cheapest/easiest option first.

Hope the issue does not come back, and keep up with regular oil change interval, best way to keep your chain long lasting.

• Like 2

The chain never stretch under normal usage in Toyota, it may get overheated from rattling hitting the chain guides caused by failed tensioner or sprocket that eventually break the top chain guide. Early morning 1 second rattle is still ok, but more than 3 seconds, we must change the sprocket, tensioner, and top chain guide, usually the rest are still ok if we cought it on time. 

• Like 3

I have been driving the car regularly went on a few motorway trips. The engine management light has not returned and also I have not heard any rattling when I start up the car. 

it looks like I have resolved my issue. It was a costly fix but hopefully my car should last for a long time now. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links