Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing chain replacement advice on Toyota auris 2009 1.33 petrol

driver10

Happy to hear your problems are solved 👍

I believe what John means is that all that needed perhaps might had been only a new tensioner. Although even car care nut says that those never needed replacement after I had replaced mine the cold start rattling from time to time has disappeared. 

For hybrid owners here to note that sometimes the car can rattle for a second on initial engine start and that rattling sound and thud is normal and has nothing to do with the chain or vvti sprocket. This event can happen when the parking pole is locked in odd position away from its place between two tooth. 👍 

• Thanks 1

It is a good info Tony. Timing chain tensioner change first is a cheap effective bet before tearing down the timing chain cover.  I think only older non hybrid 1.8 L,  some 2.5 and 2.7 sometimes have sprocket issue.  

How long the rattling caused by tensioner? The sprocket issue usually more than 1 second

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

It is a good info Tony. Timing chain tensioner change first is a cheap effective bet before tearing down the timing chain cover.  I think only older non hybrid 1.8 L,  some 2.5 and 2.7 sometimes have sprocket issue.  

How long the rattling caused by tensioner? The sprocket issue usually more than 1 second

Hi John, 

the rattle lasts usually a second and it’s exactly the same noise when you change the oil and start the car for a first time after the new engine oil was put in, same sound. I think vvti sprocket rattle is louder usually and you are right it might lasts longer too. This valve train noise can also happen when the car been seated for long, perhaps few weeks. If oils drains out of the tensioner. The tensioner teeth are only for proper installation and to adjust itself if the timing chain stretches a bit. 

DE281CAE-10F3-4C30-8892-DE3EF6610792.jpeg

Thanks, that's exactly like what I had long ago with my Nissan Altima with QR25DE engine. It is split of second and that is normal from the tensioner building the pressure after cold starts (overnight). A good oil filter with silicon antidrainvalve reduce the rattling time. 

• Like 1

Here on this video the rattle is very likely from the vvti sprocket as I did something stupid, forgot to plug in the vvti solenoid after I had it out for check and cleaning. When vvti sprocket rattle the noise is like metal to metal impact and when it’s from the chain the noise is very much like when you have a chain I. Your hands and you play with it. 
New chain tensioner was installed few days before that. All good ever since. 

A51FBCBF-7BD7-4EEE-8DF1-D111468EB4BE.jpeg

A161232F-5936-4B54-89E7-C52EDF4773C0.jpeg

6B7DF2E0-2453-44A6-BEA4-743850033A65.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links