Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi Folks. Can I Buy a Valuation For a JDM Import Here?

Alex A G

Hi All,

Just registered, nice to meet you all. I've ordered my first car from Japan - a 1997 Celsior. I was trying to save a bit of money and was dumb enough not to use an import agent, and just assume I could use a shipping agent to clear it from customs and register it with HMRC. The customs and agent part is simple, but the HMRC part isn't. On their website it seemed simple enough - you just fill out a C384 form.

But now they're telling me this:

From 1 October 2022, the C384 form can no longer be used. You will now need to get a Customs Agent to make a customs declaration for you on the new Customs Declaration System. They will calculate any import taxes due and bill you accordingly. Once your agent has completed the relevant paperwork, you will need to email us the following:

•  C88/MRN import paperwork from your shipping agent
  • Bill of Sale or Purchase Invoice or Receipt if the vehicle was bought within the last 3 months OR a current valuation of the vehicle from a UK garage/dealership or motor club (we cannot accept valuations from online sources)
  • Certificate of Title or Registration Document or Export Certificate or Dating letter from vehicle manufacturers to confirm the year of manufacture, make, model and VIN/Chassis number or a photograph of the VIN/Chassis number printed on the vehicle
  • Once the customs side of things has been completed and we issue a NOVA (Notification of Vehicle Arrival) reference, you will then be able to register the vehicle with the DVLA.

For anyone interested - the DVLA have said you need to do the MOT before them and after HMRC. And that you wont be of interest to the police for having it on private property...

So I contacted the Lexus dealership in Swindon and they said they can't give me a valuation. I'm going to try a Toyota delearship next. And as my third option, if I can buy a valuation from this motorclub here, that would be great.

I just don't get how the motor club valuation is valid since you're also an online source?.

I might get away with using the invoice from Japan. But they've said it's only valid for 3 months. As everyone probably knows, it takes a few weeks between the invoive issued and ETD from Japan and then 3 months or so to arrive in the country of arrival, so they couldn't have made that more difficult if they tried. So the invoice will be 10 days out of date if I get the shipping paperwork on the day it arrives.

Apologies for the text dump. But it's dawning on me I could be in a bit of a pickle here.

Alex

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Toyota Owners Club doesn't do evaluations so cannot help.

• Like 1

UK Toyota dealers may not be able to help as they will have no experience of the Celsior as it was never officially exported to Europe. Could approach one of the JDM  car importers to see whether they may be willing to provide a written valuation.

• Like 2

@FROSTYBALLSThanks again. If my inovice is out of date, it looks like the only viable option.

Personally I think the person who told me all of this is wrong, but I'll update the thread however it goes in December.

On 11/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, Alex A G said:

@FROSTYBALLS Thanks.

It's almost like HMRC don't want us importing cars. 🤔

That could well be true.

John

2 hours ago, Alex A G said:

@FROSTYBALLSThanks again. If my inovice is out of date, it looks like the only viable option.

Personally I think the person who told me all of this is wrong, but I'll update the thread however it goes in December.

Hi Alex ,

Isn't the C384 change in October 2022 only for business and not private individuals. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links