Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota is again number one for riliability

Derek.w

Toyota / Lexis Hybrids are again top for riliability & infront of all EVs

Consumer report 2022 Annual Auto Reliability survey.

• Like 2

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/

It makes me laugh that the hybrids are still destroying everything :laugh: 

It's quite satisfying when people be like oh they're too complicated and having 2 different motors is just more stuff to go wrong. *smug mode* :cool:

What I don't get is why EVs seem to still keep doing so badly - One of the things they always boast about is how there are vastly fewer moving parts and need little to no servicing, yet they are getting beaten by sports cars?? :confused1:

• Like 3

On 11/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, Cyker said:

What I don't get is why EVs seem to still keep doing so badly -

If you don't have off road parking you cannot take advantage of cheaper charging, charging at rapid chargers is inconvenient and expensive, they need to get charging points like the ones in the video below into our streets and charge a fair price allowing people with no off Steet parking to slow charge at an affordable price overnight.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, Cyker said:

What I don't get is why EVs seem to still keep doing so badly - One of the things they always boast about is how there are vastly fewer moving parts and need little to no servicing, yet they are getting beaten by sports cars?? :confused1:

Agreed - they should be better. Did the article list the top problems? (sorry - too lazy to register 🥱)

I think much of the tech hasn't been tested long enough and many of the problems customers report are software related as most of the car is run by software.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

If you don't have off road parking you cannot take advantage of cheaper charging, charging at rapid chargers is inconvenient and expensive, they need to get charging points like the ones in the video below into our streets and charge a fair price allowing people with no off Steet parking to slow charge at an affordable price overnight.

Yes I agree but I wish people would understand the national grid infrastructure along with the cost and logistics of installation of charging units throughout the UK. 

Sorry don't want to be negative but it will not happen in our life time or if they are lucky at least another two generation's. 

I think people need to understand the enormity and cost. This is no more then the 2030 zero carbon agenda. The motorist is nothing more then a cash cow.

• Like 4

Not a surprise then!

EV isn't for me atm, due to no driveway for a cheaper home charger or even slow charge lamp post on my road. As well some of my long distance driving week long away trip isn't going to work in remote places. 

The summer just gone, we went to visit stourhead national trust, about 115 miles each way for me, no problem with the hybrid. A guy i know made his way in his Nissan leaf 62kwh I think (200+ range). It was not charged fully before the trip, as he doesn't have a driveway nor lamp post plugs where he lives. So it had to have a 30mins rapid charge on the way and another 30mins charge on the return trip. That's the inconvenience I can do without. Winter range is poor. Though it does suit a lot of people EV cars, they have saved a lot of money - driveway and 5p 4 hrs night charge (that's gone now). Would like to have an ev one day for the instant torque and quietness. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Not a surprise then!

EV isn't for me atm, due to no driveway for a cheaper home charger or even slow charge lamp post on my road. As well some of my long distance driving week long away trip isn't going to work in remote places. 

The summer just gone, we went to visit stourhead national trust, about 115 miles each way for me, no problem with the hybrid. A guy i know made his way in his Nissan leaf 62kwh I think (200+ range). It was not charged fully before the trip, as he doesn't have a driveway nor lamp post plugs where he lives. So it had to have a 30mins rapid charge on the way and another 30mins charge on the return trip. That's the inconvenience I can do without. Winter range is poor. Though it does suit a lot of people EV cars, they have saved a lot of money - driveway and 5p 4 hrs night charge (that's gone now). Would like to have an ev one day for the instant torque and quietness. 

The cost to charge EV's will only increase as the drive towards a one tariff system of electricity and the complete phasing out of gas takes place. Once this is achieved the cost will spiral on both car and home energy. Ask yourself one question who always pays dearly for government policy.  YOU.

• Like 3

EV charging will cost probably just as much as petrol when there isn't the cash cow to milk for duty+tax, or charge tax per mile. 

• Like 3

Yeah I'm not very optimistic at the moment; Theoretically mass deployment of solar and wind power should be reducing electricity costs but as usual things that should make prices go down are slow to filter down to us while things that make it go up come through straight away!

• Like 1

The chancellors announcement that electric vehicles will eventually incur road tax charges is no surprise.  Cast your minds back to the 60s and early 70s when the government announced that nuclear power stations would either provide free or low cost energy for everyone.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah I'm not very optimistic at the moment; Theoretically mass deployment of solar and wind power should be reducing electricity costs but as usual things that should make prices go down are slow to filter down to us while things that make it go up come through straight away!

Cyker, I think anyone who is sensible and rational must see that whist this relentless push for wind power and alternative power sources drives government's to the fanatical 2030 fixed date it is ruining our lives.

I don't think anyone would disagree that a cleaner energy efficiency society would be good for the planet, but it can be done but at a far slower pace. Why 2030 and not 2050 or the year 3000. The whole of society is being changed by this policy to suit an agenda that has no thought care or empathy for us all.

• Like 2

To be fair, the worry is it'd be too late by then; The original date was 2040 for the EV switchover but it was brought forward 10 years because of that fear, but otherwise you're so right - I get the sudden knee-jerk reaction, as they really should have gotten the ball rolling for this decades ago, but the problem is the same problem that has always existed:

The people in charge are in an ivory tower and don't understand the consequences of their decisions as it doesn't affect them.

It doesn't help that they also seem to just use environmental concerns as justification for whatever hare-brained scheme they want to push through - The ULEZ is one of my favourite ones; Caused massive hardship for the majority of London drivers, esp. the ones that bought into the whole Buy A Diesel They Are Good For The Environment story they were selling before, but has made almost no difference to the emissions levels in London because most busses and many taxies are still diesel and they are a majority contributor, and also things like mass deployment of LTNs and 20mph zones and signals changed to deliberately slow traffic flow have made the pollution worse!

It's also becoming increasingly clear that none of these schemes - the LTNs, lowered speed limits or even the ULEZ - have anything to do with the environment and are just a cynical attempt by KHAAAAAN! and local councils to fleece motorists for more money to fund their pet projects and to plug the holes in their finances. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimota said:

The chancellors announcement that electric vehicles will eventually incur road tax charges is no surprise.  Cast your minds back to the 60s and early 70s when the government announced that nuclear power stations would either provide free or low cost energy for everyone.

And when North sea oil was about to come on stream.

It sounded as though we were going to get near enough free petrol, from a speech I heard locally by a MP.

And a few years later,a speech from another MP saying that if elected they would ensure that the revenue from that oil would be found somehow,as the assertion was that the incumbent government had either concealed it or squandered it.

Exciting times, the 1970s, pleased that I was, and still am very cynical about what politicians say.

And news articles of course, but these were live speeches direct from the horses mouth.

Funnily enough, one of them resembled a horse in face shape, and teeth size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At least I’m able to sit in a lovely candlelight ambience with an electric blanket wrapped round me and a tea cosy on my head.  I had to sack the butler last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

How much electricity is used to recess the charging point into the pavement?

I dont understand why with so meny rivers we dont produce electric from water wheels.

Durham city use to have a ice rink and it was self powerd by a water wheel.

Thats free electric just like a wind poweed system once you build them and it wont take 10+ years

for them to come on line like nuclear power. 

• Like 1

A lot good comments, I still not convinced about EVs, especially as they still not cracked a small city car ala Aygo etc cos Battery size/range. Also already seeing the steady slide from free EV charging / free home chargers and EV car subsidies to charge/charge/charge, which had to happen, just timing is terrible as EVs+infrastructure still growing. I also waiting for the environmental backlash about car batteries production will actually cost the planet.

I too not convinced 'they' will be anywhere near ready for 2030 with the infrastructure, they only just got the Elizabeth line working, I was working/commuting into London when that was an idea decades ago and they eventually started work on it, fair play they built it, but too late for me as I now retired and as ever it over time and budget, but in fairness doubt it would saved me much commuting time and surprise surprise it was out of action few weeks ago cos overhead power line issue.

With the current cost of living, people struggling run/maintain ICE cars even secondhand ones so not sure how they can buy/run more expensive EVs and afford dealerships prices for maintenance etc cos there still lack of back street garages capable of looking after them, another infrastructure issue.

But fear not the government's push to a high wage/ high skill economy will sort it all out, just a shame you need a bed rock of other jobs/skill levels to support it all, hence the mess we are currently in.

Yeah I've been quite disappointed by the progress; I started saving for an EV ages ago but the progress has been so slow I got ULEZ'd before a suitable one has even been on the drawing board, never mind production, so I'll have to start saving again since I blew most of that money on the Mk4!

It's worked out well tho' since the Mk4 is now cheaper to run than most EVs on public charging! :laugh: 

The lynch pin is still the Battery chemistry, and until a major breakthrough is found and brought to market I can't see them being suitable for me any time soon.

The sad thing is I think Toyota's strategy was right all along - The Mk4 only uses a 700Wh Battery vs e.g. the 70kWh-ish Battery that is becoming the standard size for EVs with non-joke range.

That means with the lithium you need for every EV, you could build 100 Yaris Mk4's!!

And I'm pretty sure 100 Yaris Mk4's would have much lower emissions than 1 EV and 99 normal cars...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links