Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Could not get out of Manual Mode

RBT51

I have just bought a 2019 aygo. I drove a few km in manual mode to try out that part of the system with no problems changing gears but when I stopped I  could not get it back to neutral. Foolishly stopped the engine then could not get it to start - as it was in gear. Any ideas on why this would have happened?

Hi Brian,

If you had a manual gearbox first thoughts would be a failed clutch but think from your remarks that your Aygo has one of them there new fangled beasts bolted to the engine. Others here will be able to advise you as they have exceptional good technical knowledge.

I realize I didn't make it clear from my post. The gearbox is automatic with a fully automatic slot and a manual [clutchless] slot. I was trying the manual, changing using the paddles on the steering wheel. When I stopped the car I could not get the stick to move back across the automatic slot and into neutral.

17 minutes ago, RBT51 said:

I realize I didn't make it clear from my post. The gearbox is automatic with a fully automatic slot and a manual [clutch-less] slot. I was trying the manual, changing using the paddles on the steering wheel. When I stopped the car I could not get the stick to move back across the automatic slot and into neutral.

No Aygo pre Aygo X has a fully automatic transmission they are all Multi-mode latterly X-shift which are manual transmissions with robotised shift and clutch function no function of these are "clutchless2 and care should be taken to avoid wearing/slipping the clutch such as using the throttle to hold the car on a hill ror sitting stationary in gar with foot brake applied.

There is a function were just like a manual transmission you can leave the car in gear to prevent the car rolling away (either reverse or E) depending on which way you face. un this instance the owners manual states:

• Turn on ignition ( do not start )
  • Depress brake pedal and shift to N,
  • Once display shows N start car.

Manual also states:

If the shift lever cannot be shifted (vehicles with a multi-mode manual transmission)

If the shift lever cannot be shifted with your foot on the brake pedal, there may be a problem with the shift lock system (a system to prevent accidental operation of the shift lever). Have the vehicle inspected by any authorized Toyota retailer or Toyota authorized repairer, or any reliable repairer immediately. Also, when the vehicle’s Battery is discharged, the shift lever cannot be operated.

• Like 4

Thanks. I will take it in for inspection and in the meantime only use it in automatic mode.

• Like 2

I've been able to switch between manual mode and E or fully automatic mode without stopping. Sounds like there is something wrong with yours.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links