Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Range and efficiency/consumption

bZ4xSupra

I was just looking up id4 spec out of interest. The latest model I think has reduced hp and so therefore also increased efficiency from 12 to 21 kwh/100km . 0 to 60 mph is also much slower as a consequence. 77kwh Battery and so will get better range.

This is what is on the Toyota website now:

At the minute I am getting 411km on full charge with hvac off.

"The range indicated was tested according to WLTP [Worldwide harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure] regulations. Please note that the EV range of Electric cars are influenced by environmental and internal factors. Such factors that can affect the range include but are not limited to: the external temperature (for example, the optimal external temperature for an electric car is 22 degrees C), the temperature of the Battery, use of the vehicle (urban, motorway), average driving speed and driver behaviour, and the use of electrical features such as air-conditioning. As a result, the achievable range of each specific car depends on these, and other factors, and the average range may be lower during daily usage. For example, during winter months (temperature below 10 degrees C), the range may vary between 320km to 390km. Whereas during summer months (above 10 degrees C) the range may vary between 390km and up to 500kms. Further deviation from these values might also be possible under prevailing conditions."

1000 km challenge by TB

P. S. If you are curious this is the one of the best video you can find to see how AHS works. It after 12:30. You can see how Toyotas matrix led works greatly! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bZ4X said:

1000 km challenge by TB

Thanks Ugur

Amazing test, and very informative.  The table is a revalation !

What is AHS ?

TeslaBjorn-1000Km Tests.JPG

Just now, ernieb said:

AHS - Adaptive Highbeam System ???

Yes, Adaptive Highbeam System

14 hours ago, bZ4X said:

1000 km challenge by TB

P. S. If you are curious this is the one of the best video you can find to see how AHS works. It after 12:30. You can see how Toyotas matrix led works greatly! 

interesting to see he said it was noisy depending on the surface.  i found that as well on some tarmacs driving at higher speeds ; found it quite hard to hear the radio. in contrast driving in an underground carpark with smooth surface was super quiet though.

• 2 weeks later...

Energy efficiency in kWh/mile now displayed in MyT app 

I've not seen this before- possibly a recent MyT update or maybe just missed it as it is not easily accessed?  Under Services/EV Coaching/Overview. Go to bottom of screen and you can scroll through various bits of driving information including one called 'Your average Energy Consumption' (in kWh/100ml). There is daily/monthly/yearly info. The PC/web-based MyT does not have the kWh/100ml (although it does have all the other stuff such as average speed, hours driven etc...)

The numbers there seem to match well with my own calculations based on kWh from charger.

IMG_3249.PNG

IMG_3248.PNG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dab1054 said:

I've not seen this before- possibly a recent MyT update or maybe just missed it as it is not easily accessed?  Under Services/EV Coaching/Overview. Go to bottom of screen and you can scroll through various bits of driving information including one called 'Your average Energy Consumption' (in kWh/100ml). There is daily/monthly/yearly info. The PC/web-based MyT does not have the kWh/100ml (although it does have all the other stuff such as average speed, hours driven etc...)

The numbers there seem to match well with my own calculations based on kWh from charger.

IMG_3249.PNG

IMG_3248.PNG

I saw this before but thank you reminding it. 

Below is mine I dont know what happend 10.03.2023 😂 it is crazy. 

Screenshot_20230322_214121_MyT.thumb.jpg.8869d015579d0830feb0a2684c23be78.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dab1054 said:

Under Services/EV Coaching/Overview

Great info, thanks, didn't know about this.  For us it is really helpful as our dumb 'smart' charger has no connectivity.

Our figure ( for AWD ) are :

Yearly        37.3 KWh/100 miles

Monthly        33.3 KWh/100 miles

Weekly        27.9 KWh/100 miles

BUT we are doing all urban driving, and it shows average weekly/monthly/yearly speed is only 15mph, typical for London unfortunately.

Our Average Driver score is : 78 / 100 ( yearly ) , not sure if that is good or bad, or just due to all urban driving ?

Does this make sense ?

Extrapolating the  27.9 KWh/100 miles :

64Kw ( usable Battery ) / 27.9 KWh /100miles = 2.294

2.294 x 100 miles = range of 229 miles

And if we were allowed to use the whole 71.4Kw

71.4Kw ( total Battery capacity ) / 27.9 KWh /100miles = 2.644

2.664 x 100 mils = range of 264 miles

25 minutes ago, bZ4X said:

I dont know what happend 10.03.2023

Maybe you drive very high speed ?

On 3/10/2023 at 4:55 PM, dab1054 said:

I used a Vgate iCar Pro

Thanks again for the info. just ordered one of these from the BIG online shopping place.

Is it safe to leave in all the time ( except for when car goes to garage ).   Just wondering is someone could connect to it via bluetooth when the car is parked up.

Do you have a cradle / holder for the phone so you can see the data in the app when driving ?

25 minutes ago, lightboxcar said:

Maybe you drive very high speed ?

Don't think so, 598 kwh? Looks like a glitch. 

1 hour ago, lightboxcar said:

Thanks again for the info. just ordered one of these from the BIG online shopping place.

Is it safe to leave in all the time ( except for when car goes to garage ).   Just wondering is someone could connect to it via bluetooth when the car is parked up.

Do you have a cradle / holder for the phone so you can see the data in the app when driving ?

I just leave it plugged in- I don't think it is powered on unless the car is activated. Doubtful if anyone could connect via bluetooth and in any case nothing can be altered by the OBD app. I don't have a holder for the phone yet but just using the Car Scanner app to monitor (and try to make sense of) some of the EV data. For example, I have never seen the Battery heater active, even below zero - the Battery just sits at whatever the external temperature is.  Possibly the Battery heater only comes on when it is REALLY cold or maybe Toyota have a plan to eventually use the heater for battery pre-conditioning to speed up DC charging when it is cold? Who knows...

• Thanks 1

Does this make sense ?

Extrapolating the  27.9 KWh/100 miles :

64Kw ( usable battery ) / 27.9 KWh /100miles = 2.294

2.294 x 100 miles = range of 229 miles

Yes, I think that's a very accurate way of calculating range with a high level of confidence for your own car and driving style. Of course, it only applies to your most recent week of driving and the range will gradually increase as we move into summer. Supposedly, the optimum temp is 22C for the Battery efficiency so we might even start to get close to the WLTP numbers from June onwards.

• Thanks 1

And if we were allowed to use the whole 71.4Kw

71.4Kw ( total battery capacity ) / 27.9 KWh /100miles = 2.644

2.664 x 100 mils = range of 264 miles

Theoretically that is correct but I don't think Toyota (or any EV manufacturer for that matter) would ever release the whole Battery capacity. But they could easily free up another 4kWh to be in line with Tesla, Kia etc which could give an extra 20 miles of range in summer conditions.

• Thanks 1

I have started to now get some much better range as the weather is warmed up. Today on A and B roads across Somerset and Dorset I got 4.3miles per KW over 71miles. However, on the way back it was 12 degrees and raining (so had to use HVAC to clear windscreen) and only got 3.9miles per KW over the same journey. There was 101 miles left on the guessometer

What I have found is I can drive more efficiently than the car can. In my experience, using Adaptive Cruise and One Pedal driving is more efficient for the driver but not for the Battery.

I hope as we edge towards temperatures in the top teens and low 20s plus the software update that this will become closer to the advertised WLTP range

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, G S said:

What I have found is I can drive more efficiently than the car can. In my experience, using Adaptive Cruise and One Pedal driving is more efficient for the driver but not for the battery.

That's rather obvious really ... Adaptive Cruise Control is basically looking one car ahead and slowing down / speeding up as the car ahead does. While that is better and more efficient than an inattentive driver might manage, a good, attentive, driver would be assessing what is happening across the traffic streams as a whole and adjusting accordingly.

One pedal driving is fundamentally inefficient by design - it applies regenerative braking when it would be far more efficient to coast. (Coasting makes use of the kinetic energy you already have; regenerative braking converts kinetic energy into electrical energy which you can then convert back into kinetic energy - and both transformations are relatively inefficient.)

Of course, adaptive cruise works pretty well when there isn't too much traffic about - it's just a question of knowing when to turn it off because the driver can do better. And light pressure on the brake pedal will give you regenerative braking - mechanical braking only comes later ...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dab1054 said:

IMG_3249.PNG

IMG_3248.PNG

I have the myT app fully updated, but I can only see the diver scores and nothing else. Does that have to do with the phone Ι use, which is an android?

2 minutes ago, leosayer said:

I have the myT app fully updated, but I can only see the diver scores and nothing else. Does that have to do with the phone Ι use, which is an android?

Not sure about Android. I have an iPhone. There are some dots . . . . . . below the window with driver scores if you touch these it opens up a new set of graphs. On my iPhone the kWh/100ml is on the fifth section.

6 hours ago, dab1054 said:

Not sure about Android. I have an iPhone. There are some dots . . . . . . below the window with driver scores if you touch these it opens up a new set of graphs. On my iPhone the kWh/100ml is on the fifth section.

I can see the dots but they are not active in any way.

1 hour ago, leosayer said:

I can see the dots but they are not active in any way.

I'd never noticed them before until dab1054 posted. 

I have an Android phone, and had trouble with viewing them earlier today.

With a combination of clicking between weekly, monthly, yearly and all trips, combined with scrolling left and right on the blank area of the screen above the dots, I've managed to get them to populate with info

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links