Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Range and efficiency/consumption

bZ4xSupra

3 hours ago, Graham100 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.263ac1bd867190e9204801cab9e685cf.jpeg

When 100% charged (confirmed by MyToyata app) I typically see 212 miles (341km) on the "GOM". As you can see from the attached, I achieved (154+28) 182 miles (293km) the other day with little/no heating or aircon.

I have achieved as low as 150ish in cold 6C weather with heating on and just 2miles left on the GOM. 

These ranges are a far cry from the following statement found on a Toyota website! "For the all-wheel drive bZ4X Motion, the official range is 285 miles (3.9 miles per kWh)".  "Officail range"??.

No, I don't have a heavy foot - indeed Toyota estimates I am a 9/10 driver!!

I hope the promised software upgrade this month improves things.

Has anyone had this yet?

The software update is scheduled for the end of May. 

3 hours ago, Petro Luigi said:

212miles/341 km on the GOM on a full charge with no AC/heating on seems awful low. 

My one displays around 425-450 km, no AC/heating On on a full charge. 

Mine in full charge is araound 420km.

When I charge to 90% I will have around 370km. 

• 2 weeks later...

In our Premium AWD model I'm driving like Miss Daisy with no heating or AC on.

Driving under speed limit, regen and eco on...getting around 3.6 to 3.8 Miles per Kw

What's yours??

Similar topics merged.

28 minutes ago, tonyj154 said:

In our Premium AWD model I'm driving like Miss Daisy with no heating or AC on.

Driving under speed limit, regen and eco on...getting around 3.6 to 3.8 Miles per Kw

What's yours??

I have a FWD. I drive normal speed (not Miss Daisy) and i get a 4,1 miles/Kw. However I live in a warmer climate.

8 hours ago, leosayer said:

I have a FWD. I drive normal speed (not Miss Daisy) and i get a 4,1 miles/Kw. However I live in a warmer climate.

FWD and use ECO (A/C) and eco drive mode. Around 25% long trips/motorway and the rest is just local or day trips. Recorded my efficiency since I had the car.

Nov 22 - 3.8 ml/kWh

Dec 22 - 3.1 ml/kWh

Jan 23 - 3.3 ml/kWh

Feb 23 - 4.1 ml/kWh

Mar 23 - 4.0 ml/kWh

Apr 23  - 4.1 ml/kWh

May 23 - 4.7 ml/kWh (so far)

• Like 4

I noticed that above is a fake video, please disregard it. I can't delete it I don't know why. 

But I found below video, like it. 

On 5/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, dab1054 said:

FWD and use ECO (A/C) and eco drive mode. Around 25% long trips/motorway and the rest is just local or day trips. Recorded my efficiency since I had the car.

Nov 22 - 3.8 ml/kWh

Dec 22 - 3.1 ml/kWh

Jan 23 - 3.3 ml/kWh

Feb 23 - 4.1 ml/kWh

Mar 23 - 4.0 ml/kWh

Apr 23  - 4.1 ml/kWh

May 23 - 4.7 ml/kWh (so far)

These numbers look very good. 👍 Anything over 4m/kWh is a good result. These cars can get efficient even on long motorway runs as long as you stick with 60mph cruising speeds and avoid “keep up with traffic” which means racing you easily get great m/kwh 

On 5/21/2023 at 10:38 PM, bZ4X said:

I noticed that above is a fake video, please disregard it. I can't delete it I don't know why. 

But I found below video, like it. 

Tesla Bjorn has now released the top video, of BZ4X post software update, part 1. I think you must've been referring to his live stream

And there's also now a range test video with new software 

In conclusion, the efficiency doesn't seem too bad, what seems to be the main thing in my mind, is that Toyota are limiting the useable capacity massively in what is supposed to be a 71.4 Kwh Battery (obviously done for longevity). If useable capacity was more like everyone was expecting, i don't think there wouldn't be anyone complaining about range as it would be as expected.

Maybe in a few years time when other vehicles have lost some of their original capacity, us BZ4X owners may feel a little happier with what they have done

• Like 3

1 minute ago, egg said:

In conclusion, the efficiency doesn't seem too bad, what seems to be the main thing in my mind, is that Toyota are limiting the useable capacity massively in what is supposed to be a 71.4 Kwh battery (obviously done for longevity). If useable capacity was more like everyone was expecting, i don't think there wouldn't be anyone complaining about range as it would be as expected.

Maybe in a few years time when other vehicles have lost some of their original capacity, us BZ4X owners may feel a little happier with what they have done

That make total sense! But I wish we could hear this from Toyota itself. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use a GPS tracker in my car, I have been monitoring the difference between the Odometer in the BZ4X & the GPS over the last 5000 miles & the Odometer constantly reads 5% below the GPS milage for every journey, so assuming that the GPS is more accurate - That means that the BZ4X driving range is actually 5% higher than i thought 🤷‍♂️, so instead of 250 miles from my AWD I am in fact getting 262 'real miles' 🤫 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy BZ4x said:

I use a GPS tracker in my car, I have been monitoring the difference between the Odometer in the BZ4X & the GPS over the last 5000 miles & the Odometer constantly reads 5% below the GPS milage for every journey, so assuming that the GPS is more accurate - That means that the BZ4X driving range is actually 5% higher than i thought 🤷‍♂️, so instead of 250 miles from my AWD I am in fact getting 262 'real miles' 🤫 

On the other hand, the odometer distance is based on revolutions of the wheels - so accurate to a few millimeters each time the wheel goes round. GPS location is accurate to a few meters each time the GPS updates its position. Why would you assume that the GPS value is more accurate? 😉

42 minutes ago, philip42h said:

On the other hand, the odometer distance is based on revolutions of the wheels - so accurate to a few millimeters each time the wheel goes round. GPS location is accurate to a few meters each time the GPS updates its position. Why would you assume that the GPS value is more accurate? 😉

Fair enough - looks like a can of worms 🤯

https://timeero.com/post/gps-vs-odometer#:~:text=Although there are mechanical%2C digital,the number of wheel rotations.&text=The main difference is in,accurate than their mechanical counterparts.

Car GPS is typically +/- 3 metres and very much dependent of sky view, open space fine, towns with tall building it may get worse, the update frequency will also affect the reported distance. 

I think there are two important factors when measuring travel distance with GPS: 1 - because GPS updates location in periods of time, it "cuts" corners or sometimes travels (wonders) away from the actual road; 2 - elevation, with personal GPS (phone) it's not very accurate, when you travel up and down the hills, for GPS you're only on flat road

I got the software today in Ireland.  This morning I had it fully charged up and was getting 456km. After the update I charged up to 100% again and total range was 458km .so practically nothing added from reserve. I did notice the greater range with ac system on and was really good with auto and eco selected and 21C , it only took 10km off. Outside temp 24C.

I got the update done at the start of June. GOM was 440km. GOM now showing 462km.

My GOM shows less than before the update with the AC on, down from 430 to a 410km range. 

Indeed, the range displayed with AC on, looks improoved. 

I'd say the GOM values are based in the previous driving type, and as i do mostly motorway, is normal to show a bit less than others, who have 450km and up. 

Something else noted post update, is that the Battery percentages on the dashboard are not the same with the ones on the Carscanner app. 

100% on the dashboard corresponds to a 95% ish on the app. 

28% on the dashboard corresponds to a 29-30% on the app. 

Before the update, these values were the same. I suspect this is another "fine tuning" brought by Toyota, in order keep the Battery healthy for a longer time. 

In any event, I'm very happy with the car. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Software - Old, Poor Range

The Toyota Press Release last year claimed the AWD Range to be "up to 285 miles".

I'd have been happy if it normally achieved 10-20% less than this.

I have been awaiting warm weather and the new software and was encouraged that the predicted range on my first full charged showed 242 miles.

Sadly, yesterday, I nearly ran out of electricity having achieved only 186.9 miles. (See photograph below).  With supposedly 5 miles left in the tank, that would give a range of just 191.9 miles.

Better that the 145 miles, yes, 145 miles achieved in January when the temperature was 2C. (See photograph below).

Of particular interest are the half way readings, i.e., when the Battery was at 50% (See photograph below).  91.4 miles achieved on 50% of Battery and 121 miles predicted for the remaining 50% - a very poor forecast.  During the second half of my journey, I tried to find out at what speed the range prediction would be accurate – this appeared to be between 40mph and 50mph! Note the 3.2 miles per kWh that I regularly achieve.

Yesterday, these readings were supposedly under reasonably ideal condition; 17C - 20C, hardly any aircon, a light-footed driver who achieves a 9/10 score calculated by Toyota's own app!  Most of the mileage was done between 50mph and 70 mph, mostly on dual carriageway under cruise control.

I'd welcome your thoughts, but I have decided to draw these readings to the attention to the Advertising Standards Authority and my solicitor.

191.9 Miles Range ‎02 ‎July ‎2023.jpg

145.0 Miles Range ‎15 ‎January ‎2023.jpg

Half Way Range & Prediction 02 July.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham100 said:

New Software - Old, Poor Range

The Toyota Press Release last year claimed the AWD Range to be "up to 285 miles".

I'd have been happy if it normally achieved 10-20% less than this.

I have been awaiting warm weather and the new software and was encouraged that the predicted range on my first full charged showed 242 miles.

Sadly, yesterday, I nearly ran out of electricity having achieved only 186.9 miles. (See photograph below).  With supposedly 5 miles left in the tank, that would give a range of just 191.9 miles.

Better that the 145 miles, yes, 145 miles achieved in January when the temperature was 2C. (See photograph below).

Of particular interest are the half way readings, i.e., when the battery was at 50% (See photograph below).  91.4 miles achieved on 50% of battery and 121 miles predicted for the remaining 50% - a very poor forecast.  During the second half of my journey, I tried to find out at what speed the range prediction would be accurate – this appeared to be between 40mph and 50mph! Note the 3.2 miles per kWh that I regularly achieve.

Yesterday, these readings were supposedly under reasonably ideal condition; 17C - 20C, hardly any aircon, a light-footed driver who achieves a 9/10 score calculated by Toyota's own app!  Most of the mileage was done between 50mph and 70 mph, mostly on dual carriageway under cruise control.

I'd welcome your thoughts, but I have decided to draw these readings to the attention to the Advertising Standards Authority and my solicitor.

The press release quoted WLTP test figures - so a range that might be achieved over a specific set of conditions in a lab at 23 degrees C. All manufacturers use the same WLTP test figures and make it reasonably clear (in the small print) that these figures don't represent real world performance - they simply allow potential purchasers to compare different models under the same conditions.

Toyota never claimed that the new software would increase the vehicles range. Rather it would present the information in a way more suited to the way drivers / reviewers indicated that they would like to see it.

Toyota have since provided a Range Calculator to provide a more useful indication of expected range under particular conditions. According to this calculator an AWD on 18" wheels on the motorway at between 15 and 20 degrees C with aircon in Eco  mode would achieve a range of 195 miles - which accords pretty well with your reported observation. (With 20" wheels that drops to around 170 miles.) 

The range remaining estimate - many describe it as a 'guessometer' - seeks to provide an estimate of how far you can go on the remaining charge based on the recent consumption rate and driving conditions. It is always an estimate - nothing more.

While I can well understand your being disappointed in the range that your bZ4X delivers I can't imagine the Advertising Standards Authority finding fault or your solicitor recommending legal action ... 😉

It does annoy me that the WLTP ranges are so inaccurate - They made that test to address the same problem mpg figures used to have, only to be blindsided by EVs, and that short-sightedness means they're going to have to waste colossal amounts of money developing yet another test regime!

If they'd listened to me and included my Boy Racer test cycle, the rated figures would be much more achievable in the real world :naughty: :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links