Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fensport Yaris

Nizan

Ok so i hear fensport have a project Yaris on their hands, now does anyone know the score on the engine conversion? ive heard conflicting reports on the 3sgte lump (as found in celica GT4, 2ltr turbo) not being used and the celica 190 engine being used instead.

i really hope they can get the 3sgte to work :P

ive tried contacting them myself but if youve ever tried you know how hard it is to get through to them guys, mega busy i gess!!!

so anyone with any gossip, lets hear it :D

Niz :thumbsup:

all i can say is the celica 190 engine wont go unless its LHD or extensive work is done to the front end

the 3S will be a squeeze to get in but the main problem is the ECU's in this case

old toyota engine into new toyota car, very very complicated but can be done

hence the corolla they have

hmmm well ill keep adding to the savings then when they have their yaris finished it might be a good time to talk :P

i read on thier website about the ecu's sounds pretty complicated :blink:

cant u jus use the old ECU an scrap the yaris one an all its electrics?

nope

the 3S ECU controls the engine and the engine only. cars that had this lump as std ie the MR2 and Celica, all the other electronic systems were 'stand alone'

the ECU in the yaris controls EVERYTHING, from the engine to the alarm system to the airconditioner, instrument panel and so on........

if you remove it, nothing but the engine will work! so its got to be there and the two have got to be made to interface with each other which is not an easy task.

the only other way to really do it is fit a full on stand alone engine management system such as a MOTEC which can be built to specification and do both ECU jobs but i doubt youll see the good side of 2 grand!

where did u hear this from nizan? and is it a customers or their own???

tis only a rumor at the minute, nothing definate is happening

:thumbsup:

nope even MoTec cant control the car side of things. the fennie corolla uses the same M4 pro unit mine does and adrian still had to leavethe stock ecu to do its bit. would be possible to run without the stock ecu but would mean new clocks (MoTec dash would work but at £2000 it aint cheap) then bin the aircon and make up a new loom.

not heard about the yaris, got to call them today so i'll ask

cheers

lee

The 3s-gte Yaris was something that Adrian mentioned to me at JAE but don't know what he's done about it yet.

as i said not an easy job then :P

i heard the rumor a while back TBH after speaking to Fenny about what can be done with the engine at !Removed!

mmm well like i said ill keep my fingers crossed and keep saving :P

cheers for the insight guys :thumbsup:

mmm well like i said ill keep my fingers crossed and keep saving :P

cheers for the insight guys :thumbsup:

Will have to save a lot of pennies for that job :eek: When they did the 3S-GTE Corolla AE111 Adrian said that it took about 2000 (yes two thousand) man hours to get it right. I've asked the guy who did my 4A-GZE conversion about a 3S-GTE in my Corolla and he said by the time I've paid for his time and bought all the parts I'd be looking at £6000. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

id say you lookin at 6 k minimum aswell

theres a silly amount of developing to be done to bung the 3S in the yaris

possible - yes

cheap and easy - you gotta be joking!!

also a few factors youve got to take into account is the weight of the 3S. for a starter the front end of the yaris is already very heavy as most people have learnt to find out!! so with even more weight on the front end things may start to get a little hairy!! would be awesome in a straight line but i think once you hit the bends the back end will tend to get even more twitchy

its put me back a little on the idea of it all so im gonna be concentrating on getting some good power out of the std lump which is very possible believe it or not! after a bit of research through the net theres actually alot available and Nicks pointed me in the direction of some good ideas (thanks mate!) so i think thats the way forward.

ok so a highly tuned 1nzfe is only going to be as powerful as a standard 3S! but the engines still light and in a light car and if you dont breach a ton with any added extras youve still got a high power to weight ratio

also the added bonus of using the 1NZ gearbox over the 3S box ensures quite tight gear ratios so acceleration (as long as you can put it down!) will be quite immense! ok so youll probably top out at 130mph but then theroetically youll get there rather sharpish!!

and at the end of the day you dont need to go faster than 70! :P do you :huh::lol:

also on a general note of transplating any alien engine into a car it wasnt intended for you get a little thing called 'teething problems'!

and i can gaurantee you wont walk away after shelling out 6k+ in order for it all to be fine and dandy! youll more than likely be back and forth with little niggles and and even lighter wallet to get it spot on!

my advice is to develope the 1NZ unless your minted, have won the lottery or are a company in search of making quite a spectacular show car to demonstarte your potential.............and also minted!!

also on a general note of transplating any alien engine into a car it wasnt intended for you get a little thing called 'teething problems'!

and i can gaurantee you wont walk away after shelling out 6k+ in order for it all to be fine and dandy! youll more than likely be back and forth with little niggles and and even lighter wallet to get it spot on!

You're not kidding there. Even though my transplant for over a year ago I'm still ironing out problems now. Is it ever going to work properly? Of course it will - it just takes time and money.

You're not kidding there. Even though my transplant for over a year ago I'm still ironing out problems now. Is it ever going to work properly? Of course it will - it just takes time and money.

AMEN TO THAT :lol::lol:

so there you go! from the horses mouth two chaps who have done engine transplants

and (correct me if im wrong guys) those engines are fitted to a derivative of the same car (levin??) so its almost a straight swap aswell and they still get the little problems all the time!

trust me if you was to drop a T-Sport engine in a 1.0 yaris youd experience the same thing again!

nah its a POP ........lol

i agree the 3s is an awsome engine but it wouldnt suit every car.

been down to fennies today. it was only somthing they had thought about and were never really going to do it for the above reasons.

however rob ever thought about lobbing one in the back of Elanor???

i'll go b4 he gets tempted

on further consideration it would be very difficult and would be like the same way the F1 cars are with the gear box visible only sitkcing out of the yaris's rear bumper lol

:lol:

now a 3S powered, mid mounted, rear drive yaris has been one thing to cross my mind!

BUT and thats a very big but!

You will have to totally rebuld the car as far as i am concerned and then your easily pushing tens of thousands of dollars!!

no doubt it would be an awesome machine but for the amount of money and work that goes into it, then it simply wont justify!

Don't forget, the Yaris T-sport is just the next evolution of the Starlet Turbo, but without the turbo... The Starlet Turbo is still one of the fastest hot hatches to be put on a boat after auction...

So just turbo the bugger!! You've got a 1.5 to turbo now instead of the Starlet's 1.3.!!!

as far as im aware the yaris and starlet use the same block

but a different head

or so ive been told

well im really happy with the feedback on this tread cheers guys some very valid point and views and insight form the people who have experienced engine swaps :thumbsup:

i agree with rob the t-sport lump could be tuned very well im sure, and the extra weight of a 2l lump had been my main concern, even with adjusting the coilovers i still doubt the handling would be as good as it is now.

....suppose its time to research uprated internals, turbos, etc etc etc

but ill still be dreaming about the 3s :D

cheers fellas top job :thumbsup:

Niz

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links