Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What is this ?

Louie

Hi Guys

Shortly after the onset of cold weather my Corolla is starting to throw wobblies. After starting up yesterday for my normal daily run my car starting to misbehave. The first was i could not restart the engine after stopping at a large road obstacle and after repeated attempts the Corolla threw up these "off" messages and decided to restart and i was able to move on. After arriving at home i was unable to lock the car using the remote and had to lock it using the supplied key. This morning i discovered that the problem was not a fully locked rear hatchback door now the warning that this was still open was not displayed on the screen yesterday when i repeatedly tried to lock it yesterday but gave a long beep. I undestand the screen warning indicates "hybrid failure" so can any of you kind gentlemen tells me what that means ? is it Battery failure ? Battery needs charging ? The car display shows the engine charging the Battery. i did have the smaller battery replaced this year in the summer as it had failed.

regards

Louie

2022-12-10_15-15-39_872.jpg

Perhaps low voltage in the 12v Battery. Not able to lock with the remote because of one door not been properly closed, did the car sound continuously beep to warn you about that ? 

• Like 1

The two OFF messages on your screen means cruise control and lane departure warning are off.

That could be because the camera is obscured by snow/ice/condensation.

The long beep when you try to lock indicates a door is no closed properly or a key left inside the car.

Those are messages you can get up by using the steering wheel buttons.

1 hour ago, APS said:

The two OFF messages on your screen means cruise control and lane departure warning are off.

That could be because the camera is obscured by snow/ice/condensation.

The long beep when you try to lock indicates a door is no closed properly or a key left inside the car.

This is correct. You do not have a 'Hybrid Failure'. I reckon it's a weak 12v Battery as Tony has suggested. Get it checked out as when voltage gets low they tend to fail quickly especially in this cold weather we have have now.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, bigblock said:

This is correct. You do not have a 'Hybrid Failure'. I reckon it's a weak 12v battery as Tony has suggested. Get it checked out as when voltage gets low they tend to fail quickly especially in this cold weather we have have now.

If a door has been left open, to me this would confirm the Battery drain.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

All your comments are much appreciated.

My Corolla appears to be working fine despite the warning messages so its probably Toyota messing with the cars on board menus  via on line updating car settings . 

It would be really nice if Toyota informed their customers of impending software changes after all we have something called the internet. 

Having said all that i still dont understand why my car refused to start after turning off the engine while sitting in traffic.  I was met with a totally confusing set of messages why it it was a no go followed shortly by the whole plot springing into life. Yes i did hit the brake pedal so we can start and move but that just got ignored until the third attempt.

Happy Xmas  Guys 

2 minutes ago, Louie said:

Hi Guys

All your comments are much appreciated.

My Corolla appears to be working fine despite the warning messages so its probably Toyota messing with the cars on board menus  via on line updating car settings . 

It would be really nice if Toyota informed their customers of impending software changes after all we have something called the internet. 

Having said all that i still dont understand why my car refused to start after turning off the engine while sitting in traffic.  I was met with a totally confusing set of messages why it it was a no go followed shortly by the whole plot springing into life. Yes i did hit the brake pedal so we can start and move but that just got ignored until the third attempt.

Happy Xmas  Guys 

Perhaps the car did not recognise the key fob is nearby, sometimes when cold or key fob been placed to magnets or credit cards can turn itself off and stop sending signals to the car. Even when you press unlock the red indicator may not show any signs of life. Just happened two days ago with mine. , been resting my iPhone with magnetic case on the key fob, such a mistake. 👍

• Like 2

Hi Tony

Sfunny you should say that yesterday my vehicle started telling me that my key fob Battery was on the way out problem is which mine or the wive's. All of sudden my key started flashing a red light so i changed Battery in both to be on the safe side.

regards

Louie

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Louie said:

Hi Tony

Sfunny you should say that yesterday my vehicle started telling me that my key fob battery was on the way out problem is which mine or the wive's. All of sudden my key started flashing a red light so i changed battery in both to be on the safe side.

regards

Louie

Thinking about it, this may be what has been causing you the problem. Rather than a 12v Battery failing it may well be a key fob Battery failing instead. Interesting.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links