Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

aygo mk1 remote key stopped cranking car

zerberus

Hi there,

I have a mk1 aygo.

I have two keys, one remote key and one spare key. The remote key's black plastic enclosure was failing, I bought one from eBay and replaced it. After the replacement, the remote fob opens and closes the car easily. However, the remote key won't start or crank the car, whereas the spare key has no issues starting or cranking the car. 

I can also use both keys manually to open and close the car. But again with the remote key, the car won't crank.

I wondered if it was the remote key Battery, but then again if the Battery was failing, the car wouldn't respond to the remote key fob. 

Thanks

Z

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hope you still have the old black plastic case Jay!

When you swapped the cases did you remove the little chip that's inside the old black plastic case and place that inside the new case??

It's the most obvious thing I can think of with the symptoms you describe.

Hope you get it fixed.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, flash22 said:

:withstupid:

1559096243_mk1aygokeychip.thumb.jpg.59cf4b960bb590ea695e7a71cd563571.jpg

That's the feller! Easily missed if you didn't know it was there. Great pic Flash

• Like 3

Oh, yes, not the first time someone has lost the chip or binned it

At least the OP has a spare key for the car, unlike so many other Aygo's i have come across

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As you have the spare you can add a new key to the car, techstream or a higher end scan tool will be the best approach

• Like 4

So an option is either get technstream and the right odb2 usb dongle, or alternatively go to a local timpsons which also does car keys?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zerberus said:

So an option is either get technstream and the right odb2 usb dongle, or alternatively go to a local timpsons which also does car keys?

An alternative to Timpsons would be a good locksmiths. Lots of them offer services for dealing with car keys etc and they're likely better equipped.

• Like 2

Fob programming is just for the remote locking, Not the immobilizer chip, the likes of Timpsons can only clone an existing key

the chip is an ID70 (Type 33)

where are you in London ??

• Like 2

Yes ordered the transponder chip from eBay, will be a while until it arrives. I will then either get techstream or a local locksmith.I only commute to London for work minus car. 

• 1 year later...

Hey. I just had the same problem and google found this thread. Though my Aygo would crank but not run. So thanks for all for posting the solution.

Gryffron

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links