Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre pressure warning light

Michael L

Happy Christmas, first of all.

The low tyre pressure light has come on on my Touring Sports. I've checked the pressures and they are all correct. Any clues about this and how to turn the light off would be great.

Thanks

May well be to do with the low temperatures -where cold causes air in the tyres to contract, and the light will probably go out after the car has been driven and the tyres have warmed up. Common issue with any TPMS. Also see:

Merry Christmas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael L said:

Happy Christmas, first of all.

The low tyre pressure light has come on on my Touring Sports. I've checked the pressures and they are all correct. Any clues about this and how to turn the light off would be great.

Thanks

This does not appear to  be the cold tyre issue but a mismatch between the correct pressures and TPMS. 

If the pressures are indeed correct then the TPMS needs to be reset. 

• Like 1

Thank you. I don't think it is temperature related because we have 9C here today and the light did not come on during the recent cold snap. I fear a trip to the dealer coming on...

Michael

If you are sure your pressures are 100% correct, try resetting the TPMS via the cluster / combimeter and see if the light goes off. 

• Like 2

Thank you Chris. I just tried this following the instructions in the handbook. It all went fine and the warning light flashed three times as described. I came out of the system and set off but the warning light came back on. I noticed on the menu that there was a Change Wheel below the Set Pressure button but that is not referred to in the instructions. Perhaps I have to reset for each wheel?

As far as I know it is universal reset for all sensors. I think (subject to anyone’s correction) that the change wheel option is used if you change the wheels on the car (I.e. summer to winter) or have a new sensor fitted. Carista (and probably other OBD tools) will tell you the pressures on each wheel - and therefore if there is a sensor at fault. 

• Like 2

Just as an experiment, inflate all tyres about 4 lbs over your normal pressure and see if the warning light comes on again. If it does I would suspect a faulty sensor. If it doesn't try another reset at the higher pressures and see if the warning light comes on again. If it does then it must be a faulty sensor I would guess.

• Like 3

All fixed! Apparently the reset doesn't become immediately effective after following the handbook instructions.  You have to drive around a bit before it clears. In my case it cleared after about 5 miles from the reset.

Happy Christmas

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, Michael L said:

I believe you need to drive slowly and turn left and right and possibly 50 miles or more. 

It would be hard to design a more counter intuitive system. 

• Haha 2

On 12/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, Michael L said:

All fixed! Apparently the reset doesn't become immediately effective after following the handbook instructions.  You have to drive around a bit before it clears. In my case it cleared after about 5 miles from the reset.

Happy Christmas

Excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @bigblock. I'm having the same issue with the tyre pressure warning light, it's currently on most of the time, even though the tyre pressures are correct. However, I've been unable to find any information on resetting the TPMS system in my manual, nor by pottering around on the car dashboard etc itself. Did you manage that just through the settings on the touchscreen, or is there another way?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

The instructions are in the handbook. You use the settings control buttons to the left of the steering wheel not the touch screen. However although I indicated above that the problem is fixed, this is not so. It recurred after a few days and further resets and checks of the pressures have been no good. I am going to ignore it until service time.

Michael

36 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Isn't it a 22 car? 

Ah yes. Seems unlikely that would be the cause then.

Yes indeed mine is 2022. For Steve, the instructions are on page 145 of my handbook. It's important that the pressures are spot on before the reset. It sets to whatever is in the tyres at the time.

28 minutes ago, Michael L said:

Yes indeed mine is 2022. For Steve, the instructions are on page 145 of my handbook. It's important that the pressures are spot on before the reset. It sets to whatever is in the tyres at the time.

Thanks for that info, Michael. Turns out I was looking in the wrong manual, I was using the .pdf version on which page 145 is about opening and closing doors! Once I realised you were referring to the physical book in the car, everything fell into place. In the end though I have to admit that I'm embarrassed at not having figured out the TPMS reset process on my own. It's exactly where it should be, in logical terms. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve Trice said:

Thanks for that info, Michael. Turns out I was looking in the wrong manual, I was using the .pdf version on which page 145 is about opening and closing doors! Once I realised you were referring to the physical book in the car, everything fell into place. In the end though I have to admit that I'm embarrassed at not having figured out the TPMS reset process on my own. It's exactly where it should be, in logical terms. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Don't be ashamed!

After just two weeks with the car I decided to deactivate the smart key function and I don't know what happened with the "alarm system" as well, but we couldn't start the car again. After several hours of reading the manual in German and trying to find another version in English or Spanish, we finally accepted our defeat and called Toyota's Emergency Services. We tried to follow a technical process along them, didn't worked, and they called the Road Assistant Services, it's called ADAC in Germany, and they could not start the car either.

ADAC called a huge crane and the car was back with the dealer on a Sunday's night just after a few hundred kilometers driven...

I found comfort in knowing that not only us, but Toyota's technical service and ADAC's personal couldn't found what was the issue or how to start the car. Nonetheless the shame returned quite fast the next morning when I went to rescue our car: We only needed to put the car in "accessory mode", change the smart key function settings again and then do the procedure to cancel the "alarm system" that was maybe activated because we tried so many times to turn the car on. All was done and dusted in less than thirty seconds.

It was embarrassing indeed, specially after knowing it was something I initiated, and a substantial amount of resources were deployed to "solve" an inexistent issue.

🤪

1187952900_ScreenShot2023-01-09at13_58_57.thumb.png.deee2ef984e6557aef2a648f99233ac7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was always told that you can’t break these technical things, looks like you can 🤣😂

• Haha 3

As mentioned in previous threads the TPMS is generally very sensitive to cold temperatures.  To avoid false warnings set the tyre pressure to 2psi below what you require (when tyres are cold), reset the TPMS, and then add the final 2psi.  Any slight fluctuation in pressure due to cold weather should not set the sensor off due to the 2psi leeway.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links