Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Near misses and one near fatal

RHYSF00

Hi all. So i not long got bzck st time of writting this but on my way back from a shop i took a long route back so i can have fun. I wasnt going above speed limit nor driving drangously (can't spell it). Ialmost hit an animal afters hump bridge causeing me to brake and turn. I was also pushed off into a wall of another hum btidge over a river. And the fatal one was on the dual carriage way. I was doing 30 plus when coming ot of turn onto the straight. And was going to start mergeing but a truck wasnt chznging lane so when he was close i slammed on brakes and steered away from him. He did almost the same but he had a car over taking. The straight is so small after the bend.

I am personally shaken up. Please to get home safe

• Confused 1

That sounds like a bad day Rhys, did you actually hit the wall on the 2nd bridge then?

If so I hope you got dash cam of the other vehicle, to support any insurance claim.

And the dual carriageway, have I got it right that the truck had nowhere to go to avoid you, had you pulled out?

I had a similar thing many years ago, pulling out of the stibbington truck stop on the A1 on a Kawasaki.

It was raining, and I couldn't see properly with all the rain on my visor and glasses, so it was entirely my own fault, luckily the truck driver was on the ball , and gave a good blast on his horn to warn me in time.

I would have been wiped out if he had not been so alert.

I was on my way to Dover for a ride around France and maybe Spain,it rattled me so badly, that what with the heavy rain and all, I turned round and went home after half an hour of panting and shaking.

Better to lose the ferry fare I thought, rather than lose my life.

I did ride many more miles after that in rain, but never really got comfortable with it, I suppose I was a fair weather rider.

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That sounds like a bad day Rhys, did you actually hit the wall on the 2nd bridge then?

If so I hope you got dash cam of the other vehicle, to support any insurance claim.

And the dual carriageway, have I got it right that the truck had nowhere to go to avoid you, had you pulled out?

I had a similar thing many years ago, pulling out of the stibbington truck stop on the A1 on a Kawasaki.

It was raining, and I couldn't see properly with all the rain on my visor and glasses, so it was entirely my own fault, luckily the truck driver was on the ball , and gave a good blast on his horn to warn me in time.

I would have been wiped out if he had not been so alert.

I was on my way to Dover for a ride around France and maybe Spain,it rattled me so badly, that what with the heavy rain and all, I turned round and went home after half an hour of panting and shaking.

Better to lose the ferry fare I thought, rather than lose my life.

I did ride many more miles after that in rain, but never really got comfortable with it, I suppose I was a fair weather rider.

I didn't hit anything. I was starting to merge but car struggled to get fast.

It's a tough call. There is a junction near here that is a bend with very short run-up before you need to decide whether to go or stop. I tend to roll at 40-50 MPH, judge the traffic, and if it is busy or I can't find a gap quickly enough, I stop and wait. Cars behind can be a problem though as the bar stewards will sometimes jump into a gap rather than wait their turn.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links