Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross (hybrid) - Fuel gauge (remaining fuel) wrong indications

Manolis K

Hello all. Greetings from Greece.

I am new member here, so I would like to wish everyone happy, healthy, prosperous new year 2023!!!

I am owner of a new Toyota Yaris Cross (hybrid, active plus edition) acquired on August 2022. 

Please find here below a detailed description of the issue I am facing. Apologies for my English but I am not a native speaker.

Since mid-December, the MyT app has been malfunctioning, and many routes are not displayed, therefore many Kms are not shown ("as if it didn't happen").
At the same time, the tank gauge suddenly rises on its own (without refueling) and the "remaining Kms" value changes upwards to show a wrong indication.
For example from 2/4 goes to 3/4 and the fuel level in the MyT app from 55% goes to 65% respectively!!

On 20/12/2022 I visited the dealer's workshop (where I bought the car from) where after the necessary diagnostics, the supervising engineer informed me that there was a problem and with a reset - which was successfully completed - the problem was fixed and the indicators returned to normal operation.

In the next few days and until 29/12/2022 and after a trip where I performed about 420 kms, I did not notice any malfunction and everything seemed normal (before the trip I had full fuel).

When I returned back to Athens, the fuel indicator had reached almost halfway (2/4) and showed me a range (remaining Kms) of about 350 km.
On my MyT app it was showing 55% fuel level.

But on Friday 30/12/2022 while when I started the car the readings were the same as before, after a few seconds the fuel gauge went up again by itself and went to almost 3/4, the range on the car dial went up to 420 km and on my MyT app it was showing 65% fuel!

Another thing I've noticed (and I don't know if it's related to the problem) is that while the car currently has 1337km on it, once the key is turned the indicator showing how many kms are left until the 15000km service is incorrect. It shows 13715 km instead of 13663 km, i.e. as if the car has done 1285 km instead of 1337 km. I don't know if this mileage difference has anything to do with the whole problem.

Any thoughts?

Just let your dealer sort it out. No one here can really help you on the fuel gauge thing. The distance to service is only less than 50km off, personally I wouldn't worry about it at all, that's nothing to do with the fuel gauge. 

• Like 1

Dear Mojo1010, that is what I intend to do. However, I asked if a member has experienced the same or similar problem, just for me to be better prepared. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Manolis K said:

Since mid-December, the MyT app has been malfunctioning, and many routes are not displayed, therefore many Kms are not shown ("as if it didn't happen").

Unfortunately this is "normal" at the moment with some trips not showing. 

Another feature is only part of a journey being recorded.  There is a recording limit of 2,000 events.  This occurs after about 3 hours driving.  This is a known feature.  If you take a break every 3 hours and switch off the data will be uploaded and the remaining route will be correctly recorded (unless it isn't 😊). 

• Like 1

Hello Manolis, thanks for your good wishes for 2023, and welcome to the TOC. As your car is only months old it is under warranty. As the Yaris Hybrid Cross is a new car on the scene then sometimes there’s teething problems. My policy is document it in writing, take it to the dealership and they will either reassure you that nothing is amiss or will sort the matter.

• Like 1

Dear Roy124, from all I have noticed so far, this is irrelevant with the driving duration etc. But I cannot understand whether the application issue is affecting somehow the actual indications on car's display.

35 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hello Manolis, thanks for your good wishes for 2023, and welcome to the TOC. As your car is only months old it is under warranty. As the Yaris Hybrid Cross is a new car on the scene then sometimes there’s teething problems. My policy is document it in writing, take it to the dealership and they will either reassure you that nothing is amiss or will sort the matter.

Dear Bernard Foy, I have already booked an appointment with dealers' workshop, for next Tuesday 10/01/2023. I will keep you posted. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Manolis K said:

Dear Roy124, from all I have noticed so far, this is irrelevant with the driving  duration etc. But I cannot understand whether the application issue is affecting somehow the actual indications on car's display.

I only mentioned the duration issue as it is an undesirable feature. 

Regarding missing journeys and MPG discrepancies I don't think they are connected as Find My Car is usually correct even if the latest displayed route ended at a previous destination. 

That said, Find My Car is not always correct either as others, besides me, have 'found' our cars miles away when they are actually outside. 

The best thing that can be said of the App and servers is work in progress. 

• Like 1

You don't park on a hill or incline by any chance do you...?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

You don't park on a hill or incline by any chance do you...?

My parking spot is located in the outside (open) area of the apartment building. To enter there, there is a small "slope" (for about 2-3 meters length) but the parking space is straight (without any inclination). 
Moreover, I own the car since August, but this only happened from mid-December and afterwards.

• Like 1

If the slope is the reason shortly after you start driving the car readings will reset itself again. Probably something else. You can disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v Battery for 20 min and then fill up full tank and see if anything changes. However do that only after dealer check the car for you because if disconnect the Battery may wipe any potential codes stored into the ecu, may not but you don’t want to do that and take the car to the dealer straight after. If you take the car to the dealer first, they check and say it’s ok then you can do that with the Battery
Good luck 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If the slope is the reason shortly after you start driving the car readings will reset itself again. Probably something else. You can disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v battery for 20 min and then fill up full tank and see if anything changes. However do that only after dealer check the car for you because if disconnect the battery may wipe any potential codes stored into the ecu, may not but you don’t want to do that and take the car to the dealer straight after. If you take the car to the dealer first, they check and say it’s ok then you can do that with the battery. 
Good luck 

I prefer not to take any action on my own since I am not an engineer. I have already booked an appointment with the dealership's workshop for next week. I will revert with updates then. 

However, I am not particularly optimistic because this is the second consecutive time this has happened within few days. The first time it was only temporarily fixed (they performed a "reset" -they gave me no more details-).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Manolis K said:

I prefer not to take any action on my own since I am not an engineer. I have already booked an appointment with the dealership's workshop for next week. I will revert with updates then. 

However, I am not particularly optimistic because this is the second consecutive time this has happened within few days. The first time it was only temporarily fixed (they performed a "reset" -they gave me no more details-).

Ok, 

so you had been with the dealer already and they tried to fix it. Perhaps you can ask them for more information this time and push them to look further. 

• Like 1

Just now, TonyHSD said:

Ok, 

so you had been with the dealer already and they tried to fix it. Perhaps you can ask them for more information this time and push them to look further. 

I will try to do that, since here in Greece most of the dealerships' workshops are (more or less) non-cooperative, but in a "polite" way.

• Like 1

If the in-car gauge is going up as well as the in-app reading, then this sounds like a fault within the car rather than a problem with the app or servers (which are rather unreliable).

You mentioned it only started to happen recently. Could temperature changes be affecting the operation of the fuel sensor?

Great English by the way.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

If the in-car gauge is going up as well as the in-app reading, then this sounds like a fault within the car rather than a problem with the app or servers (which are rather unreliable).

You mentioned it only started to happen recently. Could temperature changes be affecting the operation of the fuel sensor?

Great English by the way.

Thanks for your kind comment.
I have not noticed any significant temperature change so far... 

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately, the issue persists. I have been many times in my local dealer's workshop, during the previous months , but, they have not resolved this so far. They always perform some kind of "reset", "update", "reprogramming" etc...

Unfortunately, the issue persists. 
After numerous visits in my local dealer's workshop, during the previous months , they have not resolved this so far. They only carried out some kind of "reset", "update", "reprogramming" etc... Last time, during the first annual service, the technician told me that in case of reoccurrence, I must leave the car there for days, in order for them to further inspect and rectify. 
However, because this is my only car, and I need it for my daily transportation, I sent them an email earlier today, that I need a replacement car before I leave my car there. 
They usually don't reply to my emails, and I need to call them in order to get a response. 
However, hope to receive a written response this time otherwise I will call them again.
By the way, does any of you have the contact details of TOYOTA JAPAN CUSTOMER SERVICE (email, phone)?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links