Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo rear wiper motor

rizwan quraishi

Hi, anyone owning a mk2 Toyota aygo had problems with the rear wiper motor prematurely failing?

I have. I bought my wife a low mileage 2016 Toyota Aygo . After a few months, I noticed that when you switched the rear wiper on, it started to wipe the rear windscreen quite slowly…thinking the arm may be stuck with dirt and debris I cleaned it but it made no difference then after approximately 2 weeks it just stopped working and stopped in a vertical position. I had the fuse checked which was fine. I then set off looking through the numerous Toyota forums on this and didn’t really find many issues of these motors failing so I wasn’t convinced on how a low mileage Toyota with 50k , the rear wiper motor could fail…..unless, the previous owner had abused the use of the rear wiper by leaving it on constantly during rainfall…which they are not engineered for. To cut a long story short after looking through many eBay sales , breakers yards etc, i rang the local Toyota dealer spares dept up and made some enquiries ….the sales chap quoted me £247 for a new wiper motor . I asked if they had sold many of them to gauge if there was an issue with these motors to which he said they hadn’t sold many. The mk1 Toyota rear wiper motors are cheap and plentiful across breakers yards and eBay but not so plentiful for the mk2 and prices are ridiculously close to the price of a new one. I struck lucky where I found one for sale for around £30 . My mechanic took the old one off and tested it using his voltmeter and said it was knackered. We fitted the one I had bought in 20 mins and hey presto…perfect. So, i was glad it was the wiper motor that had failed in one respect and not some complicated electrical fault that would take days to locate but by the same token, deeply disappointed that it had failed so prematurely.this is something I never thought would be an issue on such an otherwise ultra reliable brand. I have also acquired a mk1 Toyota Yaris 1.0 from 2002…what a car..what superior build quality for a 20 year old car from Toyota. Rear wiper still like brand new !. No corrosion underneath or on the wheel arches or sills…runs like a dream with its vvti engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the Aygo shares a lot of parts from the PSA parts Bin, including electrical, it may have bound up from the lack of use, then used a lot, burning the motor out

Not a 100% but it's likely a Valeo part, oem Valeo is built right down to a price

Back wiper motors on any car can break too from having to push against a large weight of snow on the window.

Sometimes engaging the reverse gear with front wipers still on already engages the back wiper so the owner is not always aware. And that's why it's better to always clean snow completely before driving away.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same thing has just happened to my 2014 Aygo struggling to remove the old motor from the car any ideas?.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links