Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Several settings on the new Aygo X / How to..

haelewyn

I have been looking quite a while in the car settings on how to make the dark and grey map turn into something that doesn't make you depressed. Easier to read it too.
You can adapt that in the vehicle settings. There is a choice for the screen to be LIGHT / DARK / AUTOMATIC

I guess when you hate the dark maps, you just need to choose LIGHT.
Then all screens will become light though...

Did anybody with a 9" multimedia find out how to set the sensitivity for the automatic lights ?
From the manual I read it can be changed on the 7 and 8 inch versions but I can't find anything about the 9" versions.
Then the only option left would be to let the garage change that with their software.

Did anybody find a way to read the coolant temperature ? I used to have a device called ULTRAGAUGE for that purpose (and a few others) but it doesn't fit on the current dashboard any more..  Went fine on  the older AYGO (2022).
Will shop around to find a replacement.  

Catalyser is not where it used to be any more. They used up some extra cm (inches) in the front.

20230108_143449~2.jpg

20230108_143459~2.jpg

Did anybody have a problem with the new Multimedia system (9 inch) ?

Mine is always asking to connect to my account. Then when I want to do that by reading in (again) the QR code it says in a few seconds : system not available.

Did anybody have this problem already ?
A few days from new I erased the car from my account and tried to add it again.
That had become impossible so I asked the garage to do a reset after which it was ok again.

I wonder what is not going well....

Electronics : in my car the traffic sign recognition is working poorly. Often doesn't see the signs and even more can not estimate at all where a certain speed limit ends.

Not well designed and not fully worked out. 2,5 / 10.

There are better systems in the world...    Annoying..

The navigation becomes not usable because the voice is cutting out the first word.

Right turn now becomes "t turn now" . 

Left turn now becomes the same.

Maps : not great to look at. Dark setting making it unclear what to do.

Voice : not a nice voice.

Overall points for the gps system : 1 / 10. Worst i have seen in my life.

Good points though for the wiper system with so called rain sensor.

It works almost like an old fashioned interval wiper system with variable positions / time setting of when to wipe.

A lot of rain makes it speed up a bit more but in real life when it starts to rain faster, you need to change the speed of the wipers yourself.

With very little rain it is still forgetting to engage wipers sometimes but not as often as on older systems.

After all it's an improvement to the old system (like on auris or any other car of that age) as then the wipers would change to high frequency wiping every 20 seconds and that was a lot more annoying for me.

The AygoX has two wipers instead of one on the mk2 and that already is enough to make it a more adult car to me. I didn't like the one arm wiper before...  it's like I bought a toy at that time.

Lights sensor: set too sensitive and in my car no way to change the sensitivity myself. Will need to ask the dealer.

Multimedia system often not connecting to my account. Then it tells me to connect ... after which a few seconds later it will tell me that service is not available.  Does seem to register the rides I make often though. And some rides not...

Steering system: changed in comparison with the old aygo mk2. Turns shorter now and I need to get used to taking a curve with this car. Steering wheel seems to be power assisted in a different way. Not the same electric system as before.

Aircon  : there is an automatic aircon on this car which works a lot smoother than the old manual Aircon.  That is an improvement too.

Start stop : didn't have one on the mark2 but have one here. It works fast, nearly always and well. Good system.

Driving : this car drives rather a lot nicer than the mk2. This alone, together with more trunk space, would be a reason to buy it.

Gearbox : You can still feel it's the same one. Still cracks in second gear when cold and when you have to use some throttle in first gear. Different spreading for fuel economy. Seemed to have become a little more lazy but I figured out the bars on the Rev counter make you think you are revving it higher than it really is. I used an aftermarket obd reader to see the real revs and that is rather a lot lower than I thought looking at the cars Rev meter. So... obviously you will not manage to go rather fast if you switch up too soon.

Clutch: still damned high biting point. But running smoother though. Still need to have a look before I believe they ditched the old cable system.  Not sure now...It drives better without the shaking and hassling of the engine before. Either they did this electronically,  either it has to do with the bigger clutch plate and maybe 2 mass flywheel (???). Don't even know if they installed one here...

First time I used the window wipers only a dew drops came out. Will need to check if the system is not leaking..

And for the small things : the AygoX even has a small light in the trunk  !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tyres :  a little more roadnoise on the highway now.
Though the high seating position and high wheels do not kill the comfort on this car.

Back seats
For whoever has not driven this car yet :
If you want to take passengers in the back, the seat there doesn't provide a good position and you kind of feel trapped there.
You should only buy this car if you just let the kids in the back sometimes or when (like me) you will only take passengers in the back very rarely.

Dashboard  : also here a more 'adult' design. To me it looks less like a toy compared to the Mk2 and I am happy for that.

Driving assist systems :  

I find it nice when I cut a corner a bit and would go over a full line for 20 cm the car corrects me and goes around the line perfectly.
A disadvantage : the last few weeks the system has started beeping in situations where it thinks oncoming traffic will colide with my car ..  not considering the driver there as well as me will turn the steering wheel to follow the road and not collide.
The messages are gone in a short amount of time and I never had the time to read what the car wanted to tell me. Just hearing the fast and alarming beeping.

On the highway I think I need to use the throttle a bit more to avoid the AygoX will break for a car that comes in front of me but is speeding up. I must learn to deal with that more.

An other thing about the start stop : i need to learn that when i stop and the start stop goes on, the engine will restart when I take off my belt to get out of the car. Pity...In other brands the car would just switch off after I got out.

• Like 2

Seat heaters :                

They only work on one speed. Luckily it's full power so that the seats are warm very fast in winter. Disadvantage is that you can't keep them on cause the seat becomes too hot fast and on really cold days you will have to switch them off.

Not the luxury of 3 positions seat heater with heated steering wheel but it will do.

Engine and driving

So the gears can not be changed from 2 to 3 any more at 110 km / hr. You can go up to 90 km/hr now in second.

Its not my style to do so but in the first weeks of ownership I kind of figured out how to move fast on a hilly road or on a steep entrance of a highway.

Pull up to 50 - 60 km/hr in second and at least up to 90 in 3th gear makes it a bit acceptable.

On hills where you drive at low speeds, you will need to go one or two gears down often and I think the car is not really suitable for constant driving anywherr else than the flat landscape where I live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Seat heaters :                

They only work on one speed. Luckily it's full power so that the seats are warm very fast in winter. Disadvantage is that you can't keep them on cause the seat becomes too hot fast and on really cold days you will have to switch them off.

Not the luxury of 3 positions seat heater with heated steering wheel but it will do.

Engine and driving

So the gears can not be changed from 2 to 3 any more at 110 km / hr. You can go up to 90 km/hr now in second.

Its not my style to do so but in the first weeks of ownership I kind of figured out how to move fast on a hilly road or on a steep entrance of a highway.

Pull up to 50 - 60 km/hr in second and at least up to 90 in 3th gear makes it a bit acceptable.

On hills where you drive at low speeds, you will need to go one or two gears down often and I think the car is not really suitable for constant driving anywherr else than the flat landscape where I live.

I was just about to say, how come you got heated seats on the Envy model, then I saw that you are outside of the UK.  Lucky you to have the "too hot" problem😀.  We in the UK get nothing unless we bought the Ltd Edition 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I consider myself 'lucky' and realise at the same time I paid well to have it. 😊

Thanks for your help to keep the topic alive 👍

• Like 1

An other thing I could say something about is the sound of the car.
There are less vibrations than before but I do think the noise has gone up a bit.
Like they wanted to make the car sound a bit like an Alfa Romeo or something.
To me it seems like I can hear the exhaust more than before under pressure, when accelerating. Not something they had to do for me ... I like cars as quiet as they can.

If one day I would have to replace the exhaust, that would make me searching for a more silent one.. But hopefully it is built to last many years.

The car being a tick more slow could be because of the larger wheels.
No idea but I am suspecting the sound has changed a bit by raising the car 5 cm or so too.

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out to become a kind of complaint about all things that go wrong when you buy a new Aygo X..  Some of these things seem to be common for models that also receive the same 9" multimedia.
A few more things that have come to mind :

The car was not redesigned between the front seat and the trunk. That causes some kind of blind spot if you want to look to your rear right (or left in UK I presume).
It can be partly solved by putting the passenger seat forward. But then there is not enough space for somebody to sit in it.

Multimedia :  restarts after crash regularly. How regularly ?  Yesterday, it did it one time on a 20 miles trip and once again on the return trip.

Still often not connecting to the account (as in 'never') and not possible to connect it. Then it goes into 'guest' account..

Reason why I write this : as a memorypad for myself, whenever I would ask Toyota to fix the car (is there any hope for that ?) and to tell newer members this is not world shocking if they experience things like this.
Seems to be rather common on the new MM devices.

• 4 weeks later...

An other detail about the new Aygo X I bought.

There's a function that warns you when you have put something on the back seat. When you switch the car off it gives a warning "check the back seat".

Today I put 4 pages A4 size on the back seat...?

Damned ! The Aygo X picked up that there was something on the back seat !

Must be very sensitive I guess.. cause if there is nothing on it, it doesn't warn me. Maybe it detected I opened the back doors , nobody sat down, safety belt wasn't used.

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:09 PM, flash22 said:

The cat is in the same place as it's the same basic engine (1KR)

I do wonder what they did with the clutch and gearbox. Feels like it runs with a double mass flywheel. They changed something rather major. I doubt it's just a 1 cm bigger clutch plate but no idea what the exact changes are.

I'm convinced too that this car makes a more rough exhaust sound. Don't know what they changed there...  Sounds like they cut a hole in the tailpipe somewhere but I guess that's not it.

I wonder how different the exhaust, clutch and gearbox are compared to the Aygo 2021..

• Like 1

I think that function is more of security warning.

Mine notifies me of this when I have opened the back door for any reason (for example to put my jacket on the rear seat).  When I switch the engine off, I get the message you have mentioned.

An example would be possibly, some git sneaking into the back of your car at a petrol station etc.  To be honest, this warning is far too late, because, the big scary person is already in your car whilst you drive away !!!

This is why, I ALWAYS lock the car when filling up at a petrol station.  I use the BPme app and pay on my phone, so I'm not that far from the car anyway, but I just lock the car as a routine now.

• Like 5

The warning is I believe a mandate to remind people there is something in the back, children, long lost relatives, dog, cat, parrot etc etc…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pumatron said:

The warning is I believe a mandate to remind people there is something in the back, children, long lost relatives, dog, cat, parrot etc etc…

What !! And no big scary person 🤣

• Haha 3

We have put two sports bags on the back seat every morning since last June and never had any message. Exclusive model. 

That's odd.  You should at the very least get the "check the rear seat" message, presumably if you have put them on the rear seats using the two passenger doors, rather than through the tailgate.  Your bags are obviously not heavy enough to simulate a rear passenger with no seat belt on, because you would have got a message, pop up for that.

Actually, thinking about it, I think I saw a setting that you can change to deactivate that "check rear seat" message, when I first got my car and I was checking all the options.

Edited by 152bobby
More info
  • Like 1

Menu you can enter using the left button of the steering wheel..

Weight is not necessary as my aygo x reacted today on 4 pages of paper, A4 size.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 152bobby said:

What !! And no big scary person 🤣

No, the wife sits in the front next to me. 🤫

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, 152bobby said:

That's odd.  You should at the very least get the "check the rear seat" message, presumably if you have put them on the rear seats using the two passenger doors, rather than through the tailgate.  Your bags are obviously not heavy enough to simulate a rear passenger with no seat belt on, because you would have got a message, pop up for that.

Actually, thinking about it, I think I saw a setting that you can change to deactivate that "check rear seat" message, when I first got my car and I was checking all the options.

I think the rear seat thingy is switched off as both bags are weighty.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links