Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water in boot

FairyGlen

Just wanted to say to anyone who has bought an Aygo X to check the boot under the carpet. I picked my car up on Friday, which in only 7 months old and yesterday discovered about 1/2 inch of water in the boot. Had to take the mat out and stand it up against the radiator all afternoon and night to dry it. Car been returned to garage today for investigation, but on looking in the hire car boot, which is the same model, discovered that is soaking wet as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

The aygos have always been prone to this but I'm very surprised it's still a problem on the aygox!

Please let us know what they find - I'm curious to know if it's still a leak from e.g. the tail lights, or if there's a drainage plug that they forgot to remove or something

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Surely not....did Toyota not learn anything from this issue with the previous Aygos!!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

The aygos have always been prone to this but I'm very surprised it's still a problem on the aygox!

Please let us know what they find - I'm curious to know if it's still a leak from e.g. the tail lights, or if there's a drainage plug that they forgot to remove or something

Only after research did I find that this was a problem with the aygo. The garage admitted to this today, so yes I agree, a huge car manufacturer like Toyota should have solved this by now. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Surely not....did Toyota not learn anything from this issue with the previous Aygos!!

Clearly not, which is why I have put it on this forum in case other people need to take action. I'm not happy to say the least.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FairyGlen said:

Clearly not, which is why I have put it on this forum in case other people need to take action. I'm not happy to say the least.

Please keep us all informed on what your Toyota Dealer intends doing about this.  For sure, they should feedback this to Toyota GB.  I'll be checking my boot (under my spare wheel) regularly.   Hopefully because my car is in my garage 90% of the time, it should be dry.

• Like 7

Lets hope its a easy fix like lifting up the rear boot rubber and applying some silicon removing a drain plug is not a fix.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Please keep us all informed on what your Toyota Dealer intends doing about this.  For sure, they should feedback this to Toyota GB.  I'll be checking my boot (under my spare wheel) regularly.   Hopefully because my car is in my garage 90% of the time, it should be dry.

Yes I will let you know how I get on. They do seem to want to try and sort it, but I am worried I have just purchased a very expensive load of trouble and have said I might be asking for my money back. Will be discussing this with the boss of sales tomorrow. I said they should be checking all of the aygo x's on their forecourt now they know this as many customers won't probably discover this until they need to access the wheel filler.

• Like 7

Just now, Derek.w said:

Lets hope its a easy fix like lifting up the rear boot rubber and applying some silicon removing a drain plug is not a fix.

I will let you know. I agree about the drainage plug. No good if the carpet keeps getting soaked as eventually the car is going to stick.

• Like 4

Just now, FairyGlen said:

Yes I will let you know how I get on. They do seem to want to try and sort it, but I am worried I have just purchased a very expensive load of trouble and have said I might be asking for my money back. Will be duscusding this with the boss of sales tomorrow. I said they should be checking all of the aygo x's on their forecourt now they know this as many customers won't probably discover this until they need to access the wheel filler.

Just be sure to mention that you will be updating the TOC Aygo X members on the Forum.  I often mention the Forums, so they don't mess you about and give you some load of waffle.  You need to get them to explain exactly what they intend doing and what the actually do to rectify it.  Possibly get them to show you what they do.  It will then be easier for you to update us 👍

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Just be sure to mention that you will be updating the TOC Aygo X members on the Forum.  I often mention the Forums, so they don't mess you about and give you some load of waffle.  You need to get them to explain exactly what they intend doing and what the actually do to rectify it.  Possibly get them to show you what they do.  It will then be easier for you to update us 👍

Thanks for the advice. Will update everyone tomorrow.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, FairyGlen said:

I will let you know. I agree about the drainage plug. No good if the carpet keeps getting soaked as eventually the car is going to stink.

• Like 1

There was certainly a problem with the early versions of the Aygo, so much so that another company manufactured a second set of seals for the rear hatch, I was under the impression that that such leaks on the later version were reduced significantly.  The fact that this has appeared in the Aygo X from literally day one is worrying.

• Like 6

Agree, we have similar Peugeot 107 (Mk1) and newer 108 (Mk2) and comparing the 2, the mk2 rear end is a complete redesign i.e. recessed 3rd rear brake light etc so water leaks are a lot rarer and the front door seals also have secondary seal and have sealant in the gap. So they had improved things, so to hear about this on Aygo X is a concern, hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

• Like 5

Just thought I'd update everyone on the leaky boot. One week on and I'm no further forward. Garage replaced a bolt towards the bottom of the tailgate under the boot lid and that hasn't solved the problem. Today I have been asked where I park my car. Is it on the flat or a slope and how far from buildings is it parked. To say I am speechless is the understatement of the century. Mentioned again today that they can have the car back, give me a full refund and they can take it up with Toyota (I will add that I have purchased the car from a main Toyota dealer) not some back street garage. This appears to be falling on deaf ears and I am incredibly frustrated. I am going to try again at the weekend and if I still get no joy, I fear I may have to involve a solicitor. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

I recomend moving to a diffrent Toyota garage then after that a solicitor if time allows.

2 hours ago, FairyGlen said:

Mentioned again today that they can have the car back, give me a full refund and they can take it up with Toyota

Your contract will be with the dealer you bought the car from, rather than Toyota. I would be inclined to find out details of the Dealer Principal and write to them to put pressure on the dealership. 

Have a look at: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

• Like 3

This is worrying, I hope its a one off. I still haven't ordered a new Aygo yet, I'm trying to sell my house first, so I've renewed my service plan with my current Aygo for another two years, and will be running her until the finance contract runs out.

16 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

This is worrying, I hope its a one off. I still haven't ordered a new Aygo yet, I'm trying to sell my house first, so I've renewed my service plan with my current Aygo for another two years, and will be running her until the finance contract runs out.

I think I'd be advising you not to have an Aygo X, as the garage gave me a courtesy car the first time they had the car back, which also had a very wet boot.

• Sad 1

@ Fairy I don't want to trouble your mind more than it already is but .. if one thing, I would like to break a few dreams from people outside the "industry".

Yes, you are right.. you CAN expect an expensive thing as a car to be made right from the first try. But often the world is not perfect.

Sometimes things are made or designed not well enough. And I am not arguing that toyota sometimes Mod edit with cars too, sometimes the factory does, sometimes the after sales reacts too slow.

The main thing I want to advice is to be patient. Things are not always diagnosed fast nor are repairs successful from the first try.

I took my renault back to the dealer (f.e.) maybe 8 times for the radio blocking up. After many interventions with courtesy car supplied always, they replaced the radio by a more recently produced one and the problem was occurring less but still not perfect.

We all know how a perfect world would be and I guess we all know the world isn't perfect.

No idea about how laws are there about giving the car back. Here, it's simply not happening. Never.

At this time, my car has been parked outside in rainy conditions for a few weeks and no rain has gotten into the trunk. So it can be done...

I am sure the aftersales people can solve this for you. If not this week, maybe the next.

I hope you can, after this first Mod edit from toyota, still enjoy and love your car. After all, if a 15 cent seal was made or installed wrong, it doesn't mean you bought an utterly bad car.

Hope you enjoy the ride and the car and this won't ruin your mood for the entire moth or year.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:21 PM, FairyGlen said:

Just wanted to say to anyone who has bought an Aygo X to check the boot under the carpet. I picked my car up on Friday, which in only 7 months old and yesterday discovered about 1/2 inch of water in the boot. Had to take the mat out and stand it up against the radiator all afternoon and night to dry it. Car been returned to garage today for investigation, but on looking in the hire car boot, which is the same model, discovered that is soaking wet as well.

Just emptied my boot and bone dry and I left it on the drive last night in the pouring rain (it's normally in my garage overnight).  However, I will be frequently checking that area.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2023 at 6:53 PM, FairyGlen said:

Just thought I'd update everyone on the leaky boot. One week on and I'm no further forward. Garage replaced a bolt towards the bottom of the tailgate under the boot lid and that hasn't solved the problem. Today I have been asked where I park my car. Is it on the flat or a slope and how far from buildings is it parked. To say I am speechless is the understatement of the century. Mentioned again today that they can have the car back, give me a full refund and they can take it up with Toyota (I will add that I have purchased the car from a main Toyota dealer) not some back street garage. This appears to be falling on deaf ears and I am incredibly frustrated. I am going to try again at the weekend and if I still get no joy, I fear I may have to involve a solicitor. 

Do you have another update?

I'm currently dealing with the same issue, leaking water into the boot and the dealership isn't being helpful. Just purchased the car 2 weeks ago and I'm lost for words. The customer service is terrible. 

• Sad 3

On 4/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, darknessa said:

Do you have another update?

Not the same car.

• Like 1

I would contact Toyota UK direct. You shouldnt have to put up with this. Go into the dealer, stand and have a massive rant in front of potential customers. Show them the scathing complaint letter you are writing to Toyota and name the individuals who are unhelpful in it. Be a general nusiance and refuse to leave until something is done etc. Sounds like you are just being fobbed off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links