Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toy-older

Bper

50 which didn't feel like 50 till Saga insured me 😂 Yaris Mk one was first Toyota and second car after a Ford Fiesta which am not sure if it had power steering or it just didn't work? also liked watching rally on TV and Toyota Celica rally cars.

• Like 6

On 1/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, Bper said:

You have to laugh. A young neighbour of our's has just bought a used Ford Fiesta and while l was looking at it, jokingly he made a comment that only old people drive Toyota's. Well, after making him read the complete Saga holiday brochure 😅 I thought is he right or wrong? So let's find out how true it is. How old are you Toyota owners? I will start off, I'm 65.

I'm 85, bought my first Toyota, a second hand Avensis in 2001 and in 2006 traded this in for a new Corolla which is still going. I've had to buy two or three new batteries, last year a new alternator and about 4 or 5 years ago a new instrument cluster as the LED indicating turning left developed an intermittent fault which came on hard shortly before MOT. This was infuriating. Why choose Toyota? Simply because Toyota has a reputation for reliability and having had a few Fords and Vauxhalls as company cars I'd had a few problems with  them which of course didn't cost me anything to rectify.

I'm hoping this one will keep going for a while yet, not that it's used a great deal. When Covid started we were encouraged to drive less and I've become quite accustomed to being at home. Not only that some of those we used to visit are no longer here. It's just shopping and taking she who must be obeyed to the hairdressers, doctors, dentists etc. all in all about 1000 miles per year.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Jack Luxon said:

I'm 85, bought my first Toyota, a second hand Avensis in 2001 and in 2006 traded this in for a new Corolla which is still going. I've had to buy two or three new batteries, last year a new alternator and about 4 or 5 years ago a new instrument cluster as the LED indicating turning left developed an intermittent fault which came on hard shortly before MOT. This was infuriating. Why choose Toyota? Simply because Toyota has a reputation for reliability and having had a few Fords and Vauxhalls as company cars I'd had a few problems with  them which of course didn't cost me anything to rectify.

I'm hoping this one will keep going for a while yet, not that it's used a great deal. When Covid started we were encouraged to drive less and I've become quite accustomed to being at home. Not only that some of those we used to visit are no longer here. It's just shopping and taking she who must be obeyed to the hairdressers, doctors, dentists etc. all in all about 1000 miles per year.

Thank you jack many more miles ahead .

• Like 3

Thank you Mark, a bit of a mixed bag of ages at the moment.👍

• Like 2

I passed my test in 1972 at the age of 21. As you can imagine, I have owned a few cars in the intervening years, the first was a Triumph Herald which I did not have too long as reverse gear went AWOL. One of my favourite cars was a Subeam Rapier H120 that I bought in the late 70s/early 80s - that was some car! I don't know why it took me so long, but I did not get my first Toyota, a Corolla, until 2021 and I am now hooked.

Edited by dannyboy413
Amended 2001 to read 2021 (oops)
  • Like 8

18 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

I passed my test in 1972 at the age of 21. As you can imagine, I have owned a few cars in the intervening years, the first was a Triumph Herald which I did not have too long as reverse gear went AWOL. One of my favourite cars was a Subeam Rapier H120 that I bought in the late 70s/early 80s - that was some car! I don't know why it took me so long, but I did not get my first Toyota, a Corolla, until 2021 and I am now hooked.

Selection of nice cars especially the sunbeam . Same age this year as when you passed your test less the 19 if I'm correct.😅

• Like 3

@Bper Okay, I admit it, 71! (72 in a few months). Having said that, my mind is only 31, but the rest of me definitely feels like 71 at, (most), times! 😀. Hopefully before I hit 72 I will have my new eyes to see out of my new Yaris Cross windows. :clapping:

• Like 5

I

17 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Okay, I admit it, 71! (72 in a few months). Having said that, my mind is only 31, but the rest of me definitely feels like 71 at, (most), times! 😀. Hopefully before I hit 72 I will have my new eyes to see out of my new Yaris Cross windows. :clapping:

If by new eyes you are meaning cataract removal op David, then I wish you well, and can offer reassurance that it is easy and painless.

And a marvel of modern medicine, the difference is night and day, I had forgotten what colours looked like properly .

Don't forget to buy some wraparound sunglasses when you have it done, the sun glare is a bit of a nuisance for a couple of days, but then it's great, and you can get your new specs ordered if you need any.🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Rhymes with Paris

23 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

and can offer reassurance that it is easy and painless.

I hope you are right Paul, although a couple of other people have said similar. The Doctor was a bit graphic when I was at the hospital a couple of weeks ago, when he was explaining what would be happening!:sick:.

22 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Don't forget to buy some wraparound sunglasses when you have it done, the sun glare is a bit of a nuisance

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I

If by new eyes you are meaning cataract removal op David, then I wish you well, and can offer reassurance that it is easy and painless.

And a marvel of modern medicine, the difference is night and day, I had forgotten what colours looked like properly .

Don't forget to buy some wraparound sunglasses when you have it done, the sun glare is a bit of a nuisance for a couple of days, but then it's great, and you can get your new specs ordered if you need any.🙂

Hi, Paul I think many us have this done as we get older and you are absolutely right that it is painless. They give you some drops to put in your eyes for a week or so. It can take a for a few people a little while for your eyes to settle down but it really makes a difference if you have suffered from cloudy vision etc. I didn't need glasses after it was done but mine was after I suffered a retinal detachment, not a good thing to have but they fixed it back with a gas bubble and head down for a day or so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dannyboy413 said:

@Bper Okay, I admit it, 71! (72 in a few months). Having said that, my mind is only 31, but the rest of me definitely feels like 71 at, (most), times! 😀. Hopefully before I hit 72 I will have my new eyes to see out of my new Yaris Cross windows. :clapping:

David, I am sure after you have your eyes done and you get your new yaris you won't be CROSS eyed. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist it. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

@Rhymes with Paris

I hope you are right Paul, although a couple of other people have said similar. The Doctor was a bit graphic when I was at the hospital a couple of weeks ago, when he was explaining what would be happening!:sick:.

Thanks for the tip.

Oh , it's nowhere near as gruesome as the doc tells you.

It's usually done in batches of six or seven people, I was the last one due to having previous hospital acquired MRSA, long since cured, but they don't take chances at Barlborough.

So maybe a bit of a wait,as they prepare all of the patients at the same time, so maybe take a book,if you can see the print that is, and a smartphone to read Toyota owners club posts.😁

Although the actual op only takes 20 mins or so, it's all the waiting about and prep that takes the time.

The Barlborough treatment centre near Chesterfield has a very good staff and patient canteen, but if where you are going does not, then take a sandwich and a drink.

And of course, remember to cue up a lift there and back home, you cannot drive for a day or two, or week or so after this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Based on the replies so far, it would appear that the average age of Toyota owners range from late thirties to mid forties with a few in the fifties, and seventies onwards. I will now tell my young neighbour that he is wrong and it's not just old people who own Toyotas. But I guess when you are in your late teens, 40 would seem old. I will now stick the Saga travel brochure up his Fiesta's rear end.😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I get a bit touchy about revealing my age but I will admit that I’m in my late 60s.  However, due to a rigorous exercise regime, strict diet and applying copious amounts of Grecian 2000 to my wispy hair, quite a lot of people think I have the youthful look of a 67 year old.  

I like new technology and look forward to the future with a positive attitude.  But - the youth of today are quite into designer colognes and hair gels while I’m still content with Hai Karate or Brut after shaves and Brylcream hair styling emulsion.

Wonder what I’ll be like in my 70s!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tell your young neighbour he is wrong. Young and older people have Toyota's. I was 23 when I first branch into Toyota with a corolla. Had 2 Yaris since then, a 3rd one, MK4 coming end of year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, Bper said:

You have to laugh. A young neighbour of our's has just bought a used Ford Fiesta and while l was looking at it, jokingly he made a comment that only old people drive Toyota's. Well, after making him read the complete Saga holiday brochure 😅 I thought is he right or wrong? So let's find out how true it is. How old are you Toyota owners? I will start off, I'm 65.

Lol, 77 when I bought my first Toyota.  But...... 

I was put off Toyotas for many years.  I was given a lift by a young man, I was 26, in a Celica.  It was like having my bum an inch off the floor.  I bought a SAAB 99 from the brochure.  Five SAABs followed. 

In my late 30s I was given a lift from Edinburgh to Nairn up the infamous A9, no limits or cameras in those days.  The younger driver (he was going blind even then) pulling on a pair of driving gloves should have been a warning. 

• Haha 6

Hi Roy,
Well it's better late than never, you are not alone. This is the third Toyota we have had but if you take away the 2 Lexus' then it is the only branded Toyota we have owned. At 65 I thought it was late but as mid to late forties appears to be the average age it is also good to hear that many people in their 60s and 70s are also first time owners. 👍

• Like 5

If there is a correlation between the age of owners and choice of make, I am guessing that it could be an accumulation of knowledge by drivers who are interested in cars.

Not of course, ignoring that the younger owners may learn a bit quicker than me.😐

And priorities differ with age of course, mine are reliability, and comfort now, but in my twenties were cheapness, power, and showing off.

If anyone asks me now for advice on which car to buy, I first say look at something with Toyota or Honda written on it, then look at the previous owner.

Not that many people ask, but carry on buying stuff that runs ok for a month or so, then is a load of trouble and expense,in the older car market.

My last few cars, apart from that disastrous V8 Jag, have been Toyota, Honda, Lexus, and dare I mention, a well built mitsubishi.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

And priorities differ with age of course, mine are reliability, and comfort now, but in my twenties were cheapness, power, and showing off.

For comfort I would say accessibility as well. 

In my 20s my first was a Ford Anglia at £540 rather than the Cortina I really wanted. Two years later I could afford £850 for my Triumph 1300 and comfort became dominant.  The next was a SAAB 99 with the larger Dolomite engine at £1054 duty free. 

Power wise that was 39 to 61 to 86 bhp. 

None of those had any OEM media fit. 

Now my essentials are cruise control, automatic, and aircon together with accessibility, comfort and economy. 

• Like 7

On 1/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Hello Mark,2003 is the year of registration of my Yaris.😂

My age is a mystery, even to me, I was what is known as a foundling, left on the steps of the office of the Grimsby fish filleters guild on codgut street,in a hessian bag.

But to give some context, I bought a Toyota pick up in the 80s, with its head gasket on the way out.

I might be making some of this up though.

You could be Moses, he was found by an Egyptian princess in a basket 🧺🤣😂

• Haha 7

Aye Roy, I was forgetting accessibility, can't remember now which car it was, but one of them had the habit of smacking me in the face with the side window when getting in and out.

I think it was a frameless job .

I bet you were chuffed when you got your Saab.🙂

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

If there is a correlation between the age of owners and choice of make, I am guessing that it could be an accumulation of knowledge by drivers who are interested in cars.

Not of course, ignoring that the younger owners may learn a bit quicker than me.😐

If anyone asks me now for advice on which car to buy, I first say look at something with Toyota or Honda written on it, then look at the previous owner.

Not that many people ask, but carry on buying stuff that runs ok for a month or so, then is a load of trouble and expense,in the older car market.

My last few cars, apart from that disastrous V8 Jag, have been Toyota, Honda, Lexus, and dare I mention, a well built mitsubishi.

Hi Paul,

You mentioned Honda and whilst I have always liked Honda's, apart from hiring a Honda Accord many year's ago, the only one we owned was a Prelude auto who's name Prelude was originally trademarked by Toyota but amicably given to Honda to use.

We liked the car in the showroom but the one drawback was the colour, gold. So after much deliberation and a few drinks in a nearby pub we decided to buy it.

The first point of call was to take it to be re-sprayed in a really cool black, that was when re-spray costs were reasonable. It looked amazing and had all the bells and whistles that you could want or perhaps would not have experienced before in equipment.

After a couple of weeks of driving, one day I went to kick down and it completely lost all drive just at the point of joining from a slip road on to a main A road and it was only through pure luck that nothing smashed into the rear. The drive came back after I shifted the auto box out of drive and back again but then only had one gear. We had to limp miles back to the dealer and the car was in for 2 weeks but despite assurances it was fixed, a few days later the same thing happened to my wife but fortunately it was just as she was pulling away in a London street.

Back again it went this time for 8 weeks and I was again told it was fixed but after contacting the workshop manager he advised they did not know what the problem was. They believed it was swarf in the box but could not diagnose the problem.

Well by this time we had lost all faith in the car. They bought it back off us but we lost the re-spray cost which was £450.

Over the years we had looked at buying one again but never got round to it. My wife likes the CRV because of the height but I did read that some models suffer from vibration due to an issue with the auto box. Still never say never.😁

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I also had a V8 Jag - and XK8. I wouldn't call it disastrous but it made a good stab at it - tensioner issues, steering rack (spotted by me on test drive fortunately) then sensors, the gearbox mysteriously locking up and having to be unlocked manually, then the whole dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree with just about every warning light - that was scary because, until it was correctly diagnosed it was going toe  a dashboard out job for a new network controller (if I recall the name correctly). I just lost confidence in it. A shame because it looked great, sounded great, went and rode well (when it was working). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had an Accord 2.0 back in the day.  It was the first car I had with cruise control and it absolutely freaked me out the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links