Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Oil Consumption

nek09

Hello everyone!

I am new to Aygo, as i bought a second-hand one with 90.000km, 2008 model.

I noticed that after 4500km from the last oil change (Total 94.500km), my oil indicator was at the lower level. I used 10w40 oil, as in my country is the most common type used (Related to weather conditions). Has anyone came up with same oil consumption, or i have to check my aygo further? I didn't notice any leakage or white smoke from the exhaust. Now i tried with 15w40 but i am full worried about that.

Aygo engines are known to use some oil when they get a bit older but they are also known in that case to reach double km and more than that, as long as you keep filling them up in time.

Something with the pistons... A little too much , too early in your case and maybe the car you bought was driven a bit more rough, cold, than average.

Or maybe they didn't give it new oil when they should..

General idea since many years about oil consumption: as long as you don't consume 1 liter per 1000 km, it's ok.

I don't always agree with that rule but that's what many car brands advice.

Knowing there is less than three liters of oil in your Aygo engine, you see the importance of filling up in time.

• Like 4

I would say that using 10w40 is the reason why earlier your car has started to consume oil. Oil viscosity should remain exactly as what the car was out of the factory, perhaps in this Aygo was 5w30 A5 type . Check and replace oil with exact spec and don’t go for 15w40. 
Best to do an engine flush and new full synthetic oil. 

• Like 2

Aygo's dont burn oil per definition, even with age. It seems to stem from neglect or poor service at some point in its life. Sadly, Aygos do tend to get a reputation for burning oil as they get older - any neglected car would, it's just that Aygos are cheap, and people seem to neglect cheaper cars more than expensive ones. 

• Like 2

Appreciate your responses. For sure, i am going to change the type that i used (I' ll go for 5w30) and i am going to check again the consumption. If you feel free to propose me, in pm, an identical oil trademark for my aygo, it will help me. (As the previous owner just wrote in service book "Oil Change 10w40").

• Like 2

In the end , engines do wear out.
The V8 does ... The 1000 cc atmosferic does too. With it's 68 hp it had to work hard to get the car going. It's not going to last for ever altough in perfect circumstances, there are engines that did 300.000 miles / 500.000 km.
There are also cats that live for 24 years. I try to keep my cats healthy but they always seem to die around the normal age of 12-14 years.
If this engine lasts 200.000 km (again imho) it has done it's job well enough and the best years are surely in the past.

Don't expect miracles if you step away from the 10W40 , which is really not SO bad imho.
Use an oil type that was recommended for your car in 2008.
If you use 10W40 now and would change to 5W30, something is telling me that you are not going to get a perfect result.

Maybe changing the oil type (using a higher numbered one still recommended by Toyota for this car) will make the oil consumption a bit smaller but it's not going to be 0.

Whoever has a good idea about what oil would make your life better could also just put it in the group.   There are no secrets about it.

• Like 1

I told about pm's, in order to avoid any complains about promoting or etc.. Every proposal is acceptable!Thanks again 🙂

• Like 1

I have been experimenting with oils and I know from personal experience that once the oil consumption started there is no way of stopping it unless physical repair, parts replacement and cylinders honing.
The thicker oil does not mean necessarily it will provide more protection at high temperatures especially when we are comparing mineral vs semi or full synthetic engine oils, the later can withstand higher temperatures better, remain clear for longer time preventing formation of sludge and reduce the risk of piston rings getting stuck and glazing the cylinders walls.

We don’t know what exactly is the cause of higher oil consumption in early miles however we noticed that not exact type engine oil been used.
It makes sense to me to run a engine flush, replace oil and filter, replace PCV valve too and monitor overall engine performance and oil consumption. If things goes better, great, if not then at least you know you had done the right thing trying to stop the problem going any further.
I had worse oil consumption in one car with Liquy Molly 10w40 oil vs 5w40 Shell helix. The oil brands also differ and in between some offers better oils within the same general specs.
My best results with 10w40 oil were with Castrol magnatec, if this is the viscosity you prefer to stay you may try this particular oil and hopefully you get similar results to mine. 👍

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-752-castrol-magnatec-10w-40-a3b4-car-engine-oil.aspx

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had this oil consumption myself.  When I bought my Aygo, it only did 48,000 miles.  It just happens ever since I own this car, which consumes 500 to 600ml of oil every 1000 miles.

I've tried Engine flush (hoping to free up the oil control ring) but no success.

Having realised my car is an oil burner, I switched to the low SAPS oil, hoping it will preserve the life of the Catalytic Converter. (5w30 C3 & 0w20 C5).

It is currently at 82,000, still running fine.  Just had to top up the oil every once in a while and keep up the oil change (6000 miles).

BTW, just because the oil is burned, doesn't mean you don't have to change the oil & filter.  I've changed the oil and filter on many oil burners, a lot of them came back and told me the car felt much more better after the oil change - less engine vibration, less noise, better acceleration.  Some consume less oil or doesn't drink any oil for the initial 3K miles.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi

I bought a Toyota aygo 2010 by 130000 mile , I adjusted clutch pedal because I think a little was up and change engine oil and filters,  now my question is how I can check engine health , please tell me if have an experience about it 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links