Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Edge vs Pure

51Sqn

Hi All,

New member considering the purchase of a new Aygo X ... apart from a few trim and colour options ... does anyone know,

or have opinions on the choice of a Pure against an Edge version of this vehicle. I would be looking at the Automatic version for info.

Any opinions / thoughts are gratefully received !

• Like 3

I've just ordered an Edge, seems to have far more useful extra kit as standard compared to the pure, and plus I couldn't get my favourite juniper blue colour in the Pure, so the Edge was chosen. I have ordered the automatic, the gearbox change to the CVT has made it a different car.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

I've just ordered an Edge, seems to have far more useful extra kit as standard compared to the pure, and plus I couldn't get my favourite juniper blue colour in the Pure, so the Edge was chosen. I have ordered the automatic, the gearbox change to the CVT has made it a different car.

Horses for courses…..

Auto air conditioning, Automatic wipers, diamond cut alloys, an extra inch on the media display, front fog lights, interior styling trinkets and two tone paint was all stuff I could live without, was more stuff to pay for and was more stuff to go wrong is how I looked at it……!

The smaller wheels give a slightly better ride (although my ride is a bit firmer after putting the correct tyre pressures🙄).

The two tone paint didn’t have enough choices for me and preferred all silver as this was the same colour as my 2021 Aygo. 

I could have afforded the higher spec, but the Pure ticked everything I actually needed for every day.

The only thing I really would of liked was heated seats, but that was crazy money for that spec.

Going on a nice holiday with what I saved 😉

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Pumatron said:

The only thing I really would of liked was heated seats, but that was crazy money for that spec.

Easy enough to retrofit if it really bothers you.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Easy enough to retrofit if it really bothers you.

Nah, I can live without it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pumatron said:

Horses for courses…..

Auto air conditioning, Automatic wipers, diamond cut alloys, an extra inch on the media display, front fog lights, interior styling trinkets and two tone paint was all stuff I could live without, was more stuff to pay for and was more stuff to go wrong is how I looked at it……!

The smaller wheels give a slightly better ride (although my ride is a bit firmer after putting the correct tyre pressures🙄).

The two tone paint didn’t have enough choices for me and preferred all silver as this was the same colour as my 2021 Aygo. 

I could have afforded the higher spec, but the Pure ticked everything I actually needed for every day.

Going on a nice holiday with what I saved 😉

Good for you 🙂 fortunately I had enough equity to cover the next down payment for an Edge without having to pay extra cash. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

iirc the colour choices for the Pure are bit limited for me cos my fav colours are the red and the blue, as above quite happy with the basic spec even prefer the 17 alloys. With our current 2 bugs, worth going for mid spec cos you got handy useful extras + extra safety features, but I'd have go up a spec in Aygo X just for the colour I want!! 

• Like 3

In general the smallest cars entry level models are the most sensible choice for most people, private or fleet. However in this particular case the next trim Edge might be the better choice for private buyers. The price difference it’s only £1000, but you get a lot more and we’ll worth the money. If me , probably will pick that one too, the top ones are too expensive and they go too close to a Yaris hybrid price. Nothing wrong choose either one you like as long as is within your budget and you are happy what you get for your money. 👌🚙

• Like 6

I was thinking from the opposite way - I'm hoping my Mk4 will hold its value a lot better and longer as the HUD-equipped ones will be extremely rare on the used market, especially as you can't buy them any more!

...hopefully that will offset the huge amount of damage it's likely to accrue from being driven on London for most of its life :fear: :laugh: 

• Like 3

Toyota's Aygo was always the posher more well appointed of the bugs and now that Toyota has the freedom to push it more upmarket it has, for example all versions get alloys wheels, reverse camera etc. but they were probably pushed in that direction anyway cos they had to add extra safety tech for new standards, all that tech and running on puny small steelies/wheel trims wouldn't cut the mustard.

The differences between the Aygo X models is a fag paper compared to the Mk1 versions and less so the Mk2s, but at least they are have a city car in their range unlike many others, sad as it is the days of cheap but still safe and reliable city cars like our 107 have long gone, the bureaucrats have seen to that whose policies have hearalded in the Citroen Ami of all things, which is a step backwards even from our 107 imo, so I will happily pay the premium for the Aygo X.

• Like 3

Choice of trim levels on cars always cause me a slight problem.  Generally, I go for the lower spec levels but nowadays I always insist on LED headlights as standard which some basic models don’t have.  Additional extras like electric foldable/heated side mirrors and touch sensitive tailgates do appeal to me but I’m not interested in state of the art satnavs as I never use them.  As previously mentioned, when you choose a top spec car the price is sometimes as much, if not more, than the next model up.  For example, years ago I nearly purchased a high end VW Polo but went instead for a basic VW Golf which was around the same price.

We all have a budget to spend and individual preferences will differ from person to person.  So, whatever you think is the best value to you, just go for it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

Good for you 🙂 fortunately I had enough equity to cover the next down payment for an Edge without having to pay extra cash. 

It’s your money and your choice 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

In general the smallest cars entry level models are the most sensible choice for most people, private or fleet. However in this particular case the next trim Edge might be the better choice for private buyers. The price difference it’s only £1000, but you get a lot more and we’ll worth the money. If me , probably will pick that one too, the top ones are too expensive and they go too close to a Yaris hybrid price. Nothing wrong choose either one you like as long as is within your budget and you are happy what you get for your money. 👌🚙

I hear what you are saying and I’ve just reminded myself of the price of these Aygo X’s.

An Edge with a CVT gearbox is £18185!  (Feb 2023 prices)

Obviously you can probably negotiate a bit off, but as you have said, starts to get close to a Yaris at those numbers.

I paid £13900 for my manual Pure Aygo X in September 22. There is no way I’d of paid more considering I paid less than £12k for a new Aygo X-Trend in 2021. 

The price of new vehicles is frightening to be honest. You can easily spend £40-£50k on a family car now, and with today’s society and standards of driving and care? Yeah, I’m out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pumatron said:

I hear what you are saying and I’ve just reminded myself of the price of these Aygo X’s.

An Edge with a CVT gearbox is £18185!  (Feb 2023 prices)

Obviously you can probably negotiate a bit off, but as you have said, starts to get close to a Yaris at those numbers.

I paid £13900 for my manual Pure Aygo X in September 22. There is no way I’d of paid more considering I paid less than £12k for a new Aygo X-Trend in 2021. 

The price of new vehicles is frightening to be honest. You can easily spend £40-£50k on a family car now, and with today’s society and standards of driving and care? Yeah, I’m out.

Fully agreed with you 👌👍

• Like 2

I get that with my Mk4 - When I tell people how much it was they are confused why I didn't get a Corolla :laugh: 

New cars have always been expensive - If you're on a budget it makes no sense to buy one when second hand cars that are just as good can be had for much less.

Buying a car new has always been a luxury extravagance.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I get that with my Mk4 - When I tell people how much it was they are confused why I didn't get a Corolla :laugh: 

New cars have always been expensive - If you're on a budget it makes no sense to buy one when second hand cars that are just as good can be had for much less.

Buying a car new has always been a luxury extravagance.

See I disagree, yes it’s been a bit expensive to buy new (usually second biggest purchase after a house) and isn’t for all budgets, but it wasn’t that long ago you could get a brand new car for £6k-£7k, real term new car costs have risen significantly in the last few years.

• Like 3

I dunno, it was a pretty long time ago if you're talking about the original Aygo!! :laugh: There haven't been many new cars in that price bracket for many many years, maybe the Dacia Sandero, but definitely nothing in the same class as the Yaris or higher.

And even then it didn't make financial sense, e.g. paying for a poverty-spec brand new Aygo vs a second hand full-spec Yaris for similar cost.

The prices have definitely gone up as you say, but it's a mix of inflation and the tech levels - A Yaris with all one-touch window controls, a HUD and limited level 2 self-driving? This is stuff you don't see on cars that are much more expensive!

But I think the days of 'cheap' new cars is dead - Partly the problem is the new regs mandating cars having all this ADAS stuff makes it impossible for a car to be made that satisfies all the regs and has a high EuroNCAP rating and be cheap, but add to that the incoming ICEpocalypse which is an automatic 5-10k hike in price just because of the Battery and it just isn't very likely prices will ever go down.

• Like 3

It wasn't that long ago that the cheapest UK car was in the £6-7,000 bracket. Dacia came to the UK in 2013 and the cheapest Sandero was then £5,995. even in 2019 it started from £6,995. Whereas the cheapest Aygo was around £8,000 in 2014 and (for the facelift) £9700 in 2018.

As regards the Yaris being a better second hand buy than a new budget car, it depends on one's situation. A new car would come with the new car warranty, be effectively unused, etc. Also with the turmoil the used car market is in currently, one could be paying more for a used Yaris than a new Aygo or new Yaris. 

Nowadays budget cars start from £13-14,000 (Sandero £12,995, MG3 £13,795, etc), and that is where we are. 

Depends what people want, and for a lot of people the lure of a new car is stronger than that of a used car in a similar price bracket.

• Like 4

When we got our Mk1 107 new back in 2008, I was amazed how they made it for the price, yes it was a basic and cheaply made car, but comparing it to my sister's Mk3 Fiesta she bought new in 1990 for roughly same price and the 107 had power steering, airbags, CD player, leccy windows, remote locking, immobiliser, ABS, etc. etc. and they were both same level in their model ranges.

As mentioned when we got our new 107, we were looking at used 107s, but got a great deal on new 107 compared to year old versions so it was no brainer to buy new but when we got our Mk2 108 10 years later even pre registered were out of budget so back to buying few years old used.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links