Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Transfer and Proof of Car Ownership

Cyker

We were just talking at work while staring at progress bars moving slowly across the screen, and this subject came up - Is there a legal way to register car ownership?

As most will know, the logbook/V5C clearly states it isn't proof of ownership, so what is?

From what we could discern, the only way to prove ownership is with a receipt for the car, but for instance when I gave my original Mk1 to my brother there was no receipt or direct transactions involved so he effectively had no way of proving the car was his. Also, some of the receipts I've gotten from 2nd hand dealers (Esp. my 2nd Mk1) look like they were written by a 5 year old and could be very easily forged!

We were just thinking, what's to stop someone making a fake receipt for a private sale and then claiming said car was theirs? It'd just be your word against theirs??

• Like 1

Yes Cyker,it does seem strange that the V5 emphasises that it is not proof of ownership, apart from being necessary for  company cars, borrowed, hired cars etc.

I do remember when I bought that old Talbot autosleeper, the previous owner did not send his part of the V5 off , and the DVLA sent me a declaration form for me to declare ownership, date of purchase and so on.

Which is even more puzzling, given that only then could I have a new V5 , clearly stating of course, that it didn't prove I owned it.

If someone did fake a receipt though, and try to claim ownership, I can only guess that it would be settled on a balance of probabilities, although that does seem a bit weak.

• Like 4

That happened to my brother recently - His BMW got written off, and then some weeks later he got a load of speeding fines as neither he nor the insurance company had sent the change of ownership slip to the DVLA!

Thankfully he could prove he wasn't driving it and that the car was no longer in his possession!! Still, makes me wonder how they could write off the car so easily if it could be back up and running in such a short time... :g: 

• Like 3

Yes it is strange but It's true to say how do you prove ownership of many things, take any white goods as an example. The only proof of ownership is a receipt. The same with a car, when you buy or sell or gift the vehicle you should always have or give a written receipt with as many details that you can to identify the goods you are selling. What else can you do when there is no legal way to prove ownership.  😃

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That happened to my brother recently - His BMW got written off, and then some weeks later he got a load of speeding fines as neither he nor the insurance company had sent the change of ownership slip to the DVLA!

Thankfully he could prove he wasn't driving it and that the car was no longer in his possession!! Still, makes me wonder how they could write off the car so easily if it could be back up and running in such a short time... :g: 

Was it really back up & running or was someone running around on cloned plates?

As for write off, I've dealt with one in the past & I sent the V5C of via the post to the DVLA filling in the name & address of the insurance company that had insured the vehicle.

You can also now inform them online.

Tell DVLA your vehicle has been written off - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Like 2

The actual 1864 law pertaining to this is as follows:

"Any article,chattel,pig, goat, wife,coins of the realm,or ox carts, hackney carriages and other means of transportation, shall immediately become the rightful and lawful property of the borrower upon being lent to a friend, neighbour,relative or other miscreants."

Never repealed, so that must be still in force.

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links