Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Excel v 2022 Premiere Edition Yaris Cross

KM24

Hi everyone 

Looking for a bit of advice do I wait out for new Excel or go for premiere edition used with 1,600 miles registered feb 2022. 

Anything major I should look at with used Yaris cross and any recommended accessories or mods or top tips

Thanks! 

If I had my time again I’d go for a premier.  I just think I’d prefer the spec.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, anchorman said:

If I had my time again I’d go for a premier.  I just think I’d prefer the spec.  

Thank you! 

I have always had VW Group cars so it’s a bit of change for me. 

any tips or anything I need to ask dealer to do before collecting would be greatly appreciated! 

15 minutes ago, KM24 said:

Thank you! 

I have always had VW Group cars so it’s a bit of change for me. 

any tips or anything I need to ask dealer to do before collecting would be greatly appreciated! 

It’s quite a straightforward design which only tends to be vulnerable to Battery problems if they don’t get used much.  As long as they’re serviced on time they are remarkably reliable.  Mudflaps are a good idea but I’m not sure what else you could ask for.   Whether it’s cameras, TVs or cars, the Japanese are the masters of mass production.  I have some minor criticisms but I can’t think of anything else that I’d be comfortable with.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KM24 said:

Looking for a bit of advice do I wait out for new Excel or go for premiere edition used with 1,600 miles registered feb 2022.

My tuppence worth Kirsty. Plz bear in mind I've only briefly sat in a premier so no experience. I've given the Excel a good test drive and looked it over in detail but have no experience of owning one.

Basically both are the same car. What puts me off the premier are the leather seats. Not sure if they're artificial leather or real but in my opinion, whatever they've used its poor quality.

Irrespective of specification preferences, my decision would be based on price and this is where a brand new Excel trounces the Premier. Doesn't matter if you're using cash or finance, a new Excel is potentially the much cheaper option.

Premier - depends on the price but looking at toyota used cars there is a silver Premier registered 11.3.22 with 1707 miles advertised at £29291.

Irrespective of how you buy the car, Toyota finance are not placing a deposit on it so the price is likely to be around that figure. They quote an APR of 8.4%

Excel - List price of an Excel with metalic paint is 29720. Toyota finance will contribute £1750 so straight away the car is £28k without discount. But many dealers are willing to discount. Use carwow to get quotes or a broker like Drivethedeal. You can buy a brand new Excel with metallic paint for £25k. That's a brand new car for potentially £4000 less than a 1yr old car.

To me an Excel would be a no brainer but it just depends on how much value you place on having a car within a week or so.

Hope thats of some help.

PS - a 1yr old car with 1600 miles on the clock? I'd be asking questions. It may have been a showroom display model so look for knocks and scratches or any sign of 1000 careless people having sat in it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, they are both coming out at exactly same monthly payment. I have really struggled with getting dealers to discount down to even match prices they have advertised for new factory orders on auto trader.  It’s been a very frustrating process with getting “honest” price.  I did spend 4 hours in one dealership going over prices and they had Excel with metallic paint and city pack at just over £29k on 8000 pcp deal.  Most of them have said they are struggling to sell cars. I think this is a big factor at moment with discounting vehicle.   Most they are willing to offer is a free dashcams. 

My warranty runs out in August on my Arona so I’m abit wary about waiting for a factory order. Too much tech to go wrong and heard too many horror stories. All new dealer stock that is incoming is AWD which I feel I don’t really need that. If it snowy I don’t tend to drive to be honest it’s too cold! 

• Like 1

They shouldn't be the same monthly price. In fact it should be even worse for the Premier. Even if both cars were roughly the same price to begin with, because the Premier is a year older, the GFV ( predicted price at the end of the loan ) should be less because the car is a year older.

have a look at both finance examples again - sounds like they're cooking the figures to make the Premier look good.

One piece of advice - completely ignore anything a salesperson says. Get quotes from places like carwow and drivethedeal. These prices are supplied by Toyota UK dealers - it may even be the same dealer you've been talking to. Show the salesfolk you have a much better offer from another Toyota dealer therefore you're going to order the car elsewhere. All they can do is say no.

I've just reordered a Yaris Cross from a relatively local dealer. At first they couldn't discount the car, then they came up with a small discount, then they came up with an alternative solutionto what I actually wanted. I said give me a few hours to think about it. I called them back later that afternoon and said I'd decided not to go ahead and I was going to go ahead with the broker's offer. "Give me five minutes" was the response. 5mins later they called to say they would match the broker. In the space of a few hours, they'd reduced their price by approx £3500. If one dealer says no then try the next. And if none of them will budge, buy via a broker. It's actually much easier dealing with a broker - you get a price and that's it - no negotiating. As a bonus, you're also covered by distance selling laws so you have extra consumer protection. 

Warranty - you say you have a Seat? This is true for VW and I've done this with Skoda so SEAT should be the same. Your warranty provider will be VW finance. What will happen is approx 3-4 weeks before it's due to expire, they'll offer you the option of extending it at a special price. ( it's actually a pretty good deal compared to other used car warranties ). What to do is take up that offer but if say you part with the car in 6mth time, then you can claim back the months that haven't been used. ( pro-rata ). You should find details on the Seat website.

Whatever you do don't panic or worry because that just plays into the salespersons hand. There's always a solution - the only trouble is sometimes trying to find it 🤣  

• Like 3

Excel + City pack.

Get the best price possible. I'm no-nonsense. I get a deal in about 10 minutes or I walk. Know what you can get before you walk through the door. Always have another quote in your pocket; show them you mean business and will walk if they don't give their best price/match/beat another.

In this current climate, buying used at new prices is stupid. Sure, you need to wait, but you know it wasn't crashed or abused.

Sit in them both.  I’m about 13.5 st and I hate the bolsters in the Excel.  Only the skinniest person will fit between them and be warned, they seem fine at first but after an hour you feel them - they’re very hard.   The Premier is much better.  

• Like 1

OTOH, at 5 10 and 13st 6 I don't have any issue with the Excel.  Never tried the Premier. 

• Like 2

Screenshot_2023-03-08-11-04-54-348_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2febf5bfabf8d7ddbe5f7dff1050e88c.jpgShould re-read Ron's post above, good advice. The cross has a fairly good lead time so August should be plenty enough for new car. Yes PCP should not be the same, Ron is right they are probably cooking the figures. 

Here are the broker's price with and without metallic paint. Screenshot_2023-03-08-10-58-51-564_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.0610119fc7f64893c3407fa5556b6e60.jpg

• Like 2

It seems like we are heading into more normal times when the new cars will be with good discounts again. People cut on spendings. iPhones are at their lowest ever sales figures. In a year time there will be plenty of brand new cars available but not many customers and the market will stabilise. Waiting is the key. 

• Like 2

Premiere gives you the HUD which is exclusive to this model. It also comes with JBL Speakers as standard which is an option for other trim levels (supply permitting).

The exclusive feature on the Excel is the heated steering wheel (probably nice to have just now). Personally, I’m not keen on the taupe seat fabric on the Excel. But I’m sure others do.

Hi everyone 

Funny enough all dealers have called back with deals and they have been calling 3 times a day to try and secure my business on new Excel. Throwing in dashcams and AWD into mix to try seal deal too. It’s been very frustrating why they could just put a good deal on table first place is beyond me! 

I’m going to look at Premiere on Saturday so it will be decision time then! 

Thank you for all advice! Any tips on things to look at on used Yaris Cross or when I eventually get one would be much appreciated ☺️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KM24 said:

Any tips on things to look at on used Yaris Cross or when I eventually get one would be much appreciated ☺️

Anything that is extra like Dashcam.  Other than, cars a goodun. 

That's what they do, get as much money as possible. Always do your research on car prices beforehand ie broker prices. Good luck with whichever version you go for. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KM24 said:

Hi everyone 

Funny enough all dealers have called back with deals and they have been calling 3 times a day to try and secure my business on new Excel. Throwing in dashcams and AWD into mix to try seal deal too. It’s been very frustrating why they could just put a good deal on table first place is beyond me! 

I’m going to look at Premiere on Saturday so it will be decision time then! 

Thank you for all advice! Any tips on things to look at on used Yaris Cross or when I eventually get one would be much appreciated ☺️

Buy the new one...get them to match best deal from Carwow.

• Like 2

Hi everyone 

So end up going with Premiere Edition as HUD display and bi tone with most of features of Excel won me over. It been really look after by elderly gentleman who had to give up driving. 

Couple of things since I picked it up though -

app didn’t connect up properly so I’m now using two MyT apps instead of one and software update on car keeps saying it’s too busy to update. Has anyone else had this problem? 

Also wipers sound really noisy is that normal for Yaris Cross? 

Looking to do a couple of things such as changing interior lights to LEDs, adding side steps and scuff plates.  Any other recommendations or best settings on car to use? 

thanks ☺️ 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KM24 said:

Hi everyone 

So end up going with Premiere Edition as HUD display and bi tone with most of features of Excel won me over. It been really look after by elderly gentleman who had to give up driving. 

Couple of things since I picked it up though -

app didn’t connect up properly so I’m now using two MyT apps instead of one and software update on car keeps saying it’s too busy to update. Has anyone else had this problem? 

Also wipers sound really noisy is that normal for Yaris Cross? 

Looking to do a couple of things such as changing interior lights to LEDs, adding side steps and scuff plates.  Any other recommendations or best settings on car to use? 

thanks ☺️ 

The oe me wipers are Denso - the best money can buy.  Try gently cleaning them with water and detergent.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In simple plain english, what EXACTLY is the difference between the Excel and Premiere Edition ?

Is the Premiere meant to be a higher spec ?

Someone mentioned the Premiere doesn't have a heated steering wheel, but I'm struggling to find out what else ??

I've seen some Premiere's with AWD and some not.  I know about the HUD, leather (ISH) heated seats, JBL system, I'm assuming it has all the other trim levels that the Excel has, keyless entry, blind spot monitoring, front and rear sensors, auto folding mirrors etc !!

I think the safety packs are different. My preference has been to stick with Excel.

53 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

In simple plain english, what EXACTLY is the difference between the Excel and Premiere Edition ?

in plain English, about 15 letters.

Toyota has recently released a facelifted model, so you need to tell us what car you're talking about. Is it the old Premier Edition that was released when the the Yaris Cross first came to the UK ( as discussed above ) or the latest Premier Edition that's currently available to order?

• Haha 1

At both these trim levels, I can't see what would be different on the safety packs !!

Just now, RonYarisX said:

in plain English, about 15 letters.

Toyota has recently released a facelifted model, so you need to tell us what car you're talking about. Is it the old Premier Edition that was released when the the Yaris Cross first came to the UK ( as discussed above ) or the latest Premier Edition that's currently available to order?

Certainly NOT the NEW Premier Edition, way way out of my budget.  So the older version 2022/23 plate.

Well apart from the obvious twin tone paintwork and full leather, the PE came with heads up display and  JBL sound system as std. Both cars could be specified with additional packs but I believe the safety pack was std on the Excel but optional on Premier.

A Premier Edition owner will be able to confirm that. It's kinda difficult to know what the std specs were without brochure because many folk add packs to their cars.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links