Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Have and Have Knot

Bper

Whilst not a car related question I need some advice

thought I would raise this very unusual occurrence that has been going on for a couple of years and would welcome comments on how this strange phenomenon happens.

We have venetian blinds in the windows of our 3 bedrooms. Every week we dust these blinds down and at least every two weeks the cord that pulls the blind up has a basic overhand tight knot half way up it. We pull the blinds up every week to clean round the inside frames and always check this cord.

It takes a minute or so to undo the knot because it is that tight.

Now it is absolutely impossible for this knot to happen in any of the bedrooms unless someone is physically doing so.

The blinds are not touched other than on these weekly cleans and we are at a loss to understand how these tight knots can happen.

You would think it strange to have this happen in one bedroom but alternative bedrooms every couple of weeks is beyond belief.

So I would very much welcome any comments of how this can happen.

• Confused 1

Bit of a knotty problem ....

• Haha 5

Knot sure why that’s happening, is there a knotty person living in your household..??🤪😂.

• Haha 3

Looks like Bob might or might knot be blind to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Do you have a cat? Plays with the cords?

• Like 4

Mike, I know this makes people laugh by the comments so far but it really is strange. We do not have any pets. There is only me and my wife in the house.

As I said in the original post it is impossible for this knot to happen in different rooms in the same place each time. How do you get a knot in this and the other cords at least once a fortnight. 

I would love for someone to answer this one.🤨

• Like 1

Do you have the windows open? Wind would quickly do this. Or someone walking/brushing past them.

Either tie the cord to a hook on the wall or tie a weight at the end of it and see if that makes a difference.

• Like 4

Strange indeed. Perhaps for experiment, put some taping to that part and see if there are going to be anymore after. If there is then you know what.......

• Like 4

7 hours ago, APS said:

Do you have the windows open? Wind would quickly do this. Or someone walking/brushing past them.

Either tie the cord to a hook on the wall or tie a weight at the end of it and see if that makes a difference.

No windows are open as we have sliding vents at the top, no wind and as the cord is a hard nylon you would have to physical tie it to give this knot.

Tying a hook to the wall would be practical if any of comments you mentioned was likely. All three bedrooms end up at different times with this knot in the same place.

This is really bizarre 

It's one of those age old questions, and included in such things as how has my phone's handset cord twisted itself into an impossible knot, and my favourite one at work, where I put a bunch of e.g. network/ipad/usb-c/headphone cables in a tub, take it to another building, and go to take one out and they all come out because somehow they're all tangled up! :eek: 

Some people theorize cords that are spun together with twists will tend to twist up and create a knot, but I don't see how that would work unless such a cord can defy the laws of matter to pass through itself.

Maybe one of you is a sleep-knotter?? :confused1: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cyker, you would think one bedroom that this happened in would be strange but how do you explain all three and the knot in the same place on the same cords in the same place every couple of weeks .

We originally thought it was just one of those things but each time this happens it takes me over a minute to undo the knots it is that tight.

How does this happen?

7 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Strange indeed. Perhaps for experiment, put some taping to that part and see if there are going to be anymore after. If there is then you know what.......

If this was just one window then I would agree but this happens on at least one of the  four window's every couple of weeks. One would be strange but on all this is bizarre to say the least. And as i have mentioned the knots are that tight it takes a minute to undo. 

And how can you explain in exactly the same place on cord in each bedroom on different weeks.

I meant by wrap taping around that area in all the rooms so it cannot be tied the same knot there, then see what happens. Has this been happening for a while? Does seem eerie. 

• Like 1

@Bper

I am convinced that we have a ghost in our house. Although she is an old lady we have named Ethel, she seems to like playing with our television - switching 'Netflix' on, even though we don't have an account, switching audio description on and occasionally changing channels or the volume. However, she does not do it all the time. In the, sometimes, weeks that she is behaving, maybe she has spirited herself over to Norfolk? Incidentally, I am serious as I am convinced I once saw her, wearing a pink nightgown, in front of the television.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well David, I will give you another example .

Every remembrance day my wife puts metal poppy badges on our coats, the type that has a push on pin at the back to hold it in place.

Well a day after remembrance day we went for a walk and after walking through the town  my wife notices that the Badge was loose and nearly fell off her coat. She looked in her clothing just in case the gold coloured back pin had dropped inside her coat.

Unfortunately it wasn't so we thought it was a good idea to try and retrace our steps to see if this brightly coloured back pin was on the floor but despite our efforts it was not to be found. 

When we got home we looked everywhere just in case it dropped off but with no luck. We decided a couple of days later to look online for a replacement but you had to buy more then one so left it till later as it wasn't that important at the time.

A couple of weeks later I was cooking our evening meal and my wife was upstairs when I put my hand in my hoodie and felt what I thought was a small object. I pulled this out of  my pocket and my heart went ten to the dozen it was the back pin of the Badge.

Now this hoodie had been in the wardrobe for weeks and had not been taken out. But i had been wearing it for a few days and apart from my hankie nothing was in either of the pockets . When my wife came down we both stood there in amazement.

There was no way ever that this back pin could have possibly ended up in my pocket. Understanding these things are often solved by logical or simple explanations but when no explanation is available we should be totally open minded to other possibilities and I am.👍

• Like 4

I do not disbelieve in these things. It seem like whatever it is, it's not physically harming you, though its disturbing nonetheless. 

• Like 2

Some things just can't be explained.

When I was a child, for 9 consecutive years we rented a large three floor semi in a village on the Llyn Peninsula.

One of four large houses built in the late 1800s for a sea captain and his three daughters.

In the 8th year we stayed there, my sister walked up from the beach by herself, and, as she entered the drive, looked up at the house and saw a woman in grey standing in one of the front bedroom windows looking out at her. When my sister entered the house she searched from room to room but no-one was there.

My father admitted afterwards that he'd also seen a similar woman in the house on more than one occasion.

The last year we stayed there, on the last evening we were all in the rear parlour. We all heard quite distinctly someone walking along the first floor landing towards the large bedroom at the front of the house.

My one sister stood at the bottom of the stairs in case someone came down, whilst five of us went up to the two upper floors and into every room, and then double checked the ground floor and all the windows and external doors.

There was nobody else in the house apart from our family.

The next day we said to the owners what we'd experienced, and they were really off with my father. We didn't re-book.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bper said:

Tying a hook to the wall would be practical if any of comments you mentioned was likely. All three bedrooms end up at different times with this knot in the same place.

This is really bizarre 

I think this is at a stage where you could set up cameras and live stream it on the interwebs. Then you could sell it to the discovery channel. "The blind date mystery - will they tie the knot ...or not?"

:angel_not:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Think 'they' are making you aware they are there, but not to cause any harm? Perhaps this were their home.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, APS said:

I think this is at a stage where you could set up cameras and live stream it on the interwebs. Then you could sell it to the discovery channel. "The blind date mystery - will they tie the knot ...or not?"

:angel_not:

Yes that's true or maybe do a remake of the old soap opera "knots landing".😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think 'they' are making you aware they are there, but not to cause any harm? Perhaps this were their home.  

Well I'm not concerned by this just curious as to the possible causes. However, if it was a spirits home and if I do meet them by chance I will ask if they are going to be living here permanently then I would like them to pay rent and contribute to the heating bills 😂

• Haha 2

Theory - Central heating or sunlight

heat cycling the string causes the string to contract or expand, maybe where it has been previously tied the material has a memory and the strands get knotted

either that or you have a crack team of spiders tying knots when you're not looking

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links