Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AYGO - Westfalia Bike Rack Wanted

Wallydug

Hi

Am looking for a Westfalia bike rack for my wife's Aygo (2013).  Can anyone help?

You may find your manual for the Aygo says no towing or bike racks although I know Brink at one time did a tow ball hitch for the Aygo solely for the purposes of mounting a bike rack. My Aygo is an Aygo X 2022 and unfortunately any form of rack is forbidden. If I use one I will have no insurance. I live in hopes that Brink produce a version approved for the Aygo X but…….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donrald said:

You may find your manual for the Aygo says no towing or bike racks although I know Brink at one time did a tow ball hitch for the Aygo solely for the purposes of mounting a bike rack. My Aygo is an Aygo X 2022 and unfortunately any form of rack is forbidden. If I use one I will have no insurance. I live in hopes that Brink produce a version approved for the Aygo X but…….

Toyota does an official bike rack for the cross

PW962-0H002 and 13 pin wiring kit

4 hours ago, Wallydug said:

Hi

Am looking for a Westfalia bike rack for my wife's Aygo (2013).  Can anyone help?

Brink do a tow bar for the Mk1 Aygo, then add what ever rack you want as long as it doesn't exceed the nose weight

iirc the Westfalia has been discontinued

Then Toyota rack is tow-bar mounted - PZ4AP-UK942-A0 (Mk1 aygo)

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Toyota does an official bike rack for the cross

PW962-0H002 and 13 pin wiring kit

Will the Parts Dept at my local Toyota Dealer recognise that part number for the official bike rack for the new Aygo X (cross) ?

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

They should do, there are 2 versions of the kit (same part No.) and 2 versions of the 13 pin wiring kit, both are 2 arms and a leg

wiring kit - PW5D0-0H000

£278.95 for the bike holder, towbar and electrics currently not available at the moment and no prices yet available and approx 4 hours dealer fit.

At least I can mull this over until all of it is available.

so after a bit of digging it's only a brink towbar and wiring thats £280

the rack looks like a Thule easy fold

looking at the price list, it shows it as bike rack preparation

a rough translation

Preparation for the rear bike carrier

PW962-0H002

13 pole electrical installation to TZ

PW5D0-0H000

Installation

Install-Aygo X

4 h

that equates to about £650 fitted

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses - yes I know the Westfalia rack is discontinued - I was just hoping someone might have one lying around that they no longer use

Sadly no tow ball hitch for a bike for the 2022 Aygo X. I looked up the Brink one but when I did there were none around and was advised it would not fit the latest Aygo X. Tow bar installers will not fit such to a car that the manufacturers advise cannot have one. At least the reputable ones won’t. It can be illegal.

But if somebody makes one for the Aygo X that Toyota accept then I am all ears!

See the above PDF's they do make them - availability is another issue - also if you look in the PDFs it shows it's homologated, so road legal

see the 2nd page

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/89e1ef17-c098-4f80-85d3-51e23d2061a2/Aygo_X_Bike_Holder_Support_Bracket_PW962_0H002_AIM_006_127_0.pdf

TBH it takes a while for the aftermarket to catch up

51 minutes ago, flash22 said:

See the above PDF's they do make them - availability is another issue - also if you look in the PDFs it shows it's homologated, so road legal

see the 2nd page

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/89e1ef17-c098-4f80-85d3-51e23d2061a2/Aygo_X_Bike_Holder_Support_Bracket_PW962_0H002_AIM_006_127_0.pdf

TBH it takes a while for the aftermarket to catch up

That's interesting 👍.  I can't work out if there is a bumper cut or not ? And I can see why it has a 4 hour install.  Why do they make such simple things so cumbersome. 

Page 10 of the pdf or page 5

100mm by 5mm cut out

yes i can read them, plenty of practice with Ikea, MFI and kitchen flat packs

book is 4 hours, that gives you time to polish your tools - 90 mins max on a ramp

• Haha 2

We had one of these on our old Peugeot 107, it was a great bike rack

Yes they have been made but for older Aygo. Not for the 2022 Aygo X.  Toyota do not approve the fitting of a tow ball or even other bike racks and their manual so indicates. If it is not a manufacturer’s approved accessory then it is not legal to have one. My tow bar installer has also checked for me. None are available for older models at present and it’s a no go for the Aygo X and if that remains the case your insurer will not be co-operative and may cancel your policy.

This is of course odd for the new car is bigger and different and ought to be able to have a tow ball for a bike rack fitted. One that prevents you using it for towing. It may be in time Toyota will take a different view. I hope so! There are a number of cars that can’t have tow bars. Believe it or not one of the big expensive Jaguars can’t have one.

• Confused 1

Surely if Toyota have designed one and you can buy and get it fitted by them to the 2022 Aygo X, it must be legal ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donrald said:

Yes they have been made but for older Aygo. Not for the 2022 Aygo X.  Toyota do not approve the fitting of a tow ball or even other bike racks and their manual so indicates. If it is not a manufacturer’s approved accessory then it is not legal to have one. My tow bar installer has also checked for me. None are available for older models at present and it’s a no go for the Aygo X and if that remains the case your insurer will not be co-operative and may cancel your policy.

This is of course odd for the new car is bigger and different and ought to be able to have a tow ball for a bike rack fitted. One that prevents you using it for towing. It may be in time Toyota will take a different view. I hope so! There are a number of cars that can’t have tow bars. Believe it or not one of the big expensive Jaguars can’t have one.

Please read above - that is an official part for the Aygo X made by Brink is Homologated (Approved) - Brink part No. 6690, The Aygo X isn't type approved for towing, but a bike rack is not classed as towing, it's a carrier, it's no different to a Roof Rack

As I said above, the aftermarket takes a while to catch up, and for catalogues to be updated

As for no tow bars for the Mk1/Mk2, PF Jones has stock of the Brink tow bars among others brands and suppliers

On 3/16/2023 at 10:48 AM, flash22 said:

Please read above - that is an official part for the Aygo X made by Brink is Homologated (Approved) - Brink part No. 6690, The Aygo X isn't type approved for towing, but a bike rack is not classed as towing, it's a carrier, it's no different to a roof rack

As I said above, the aftermarket takes a while to catch up, and for catalogues to be updated

As for no tow bars for the Mk1/Mk2, PF Jones has stock of the Brink tow bars among others brands and suppliers

Thanks, I am not up to date! Am now!

I now have a colleague in the industry checking on availability and price. Will now start looking at tow ball racks for a bike! 

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that Toyota and Brink have sewn this up so that Brink will only supply to a Toyota dealer and that I guess means excessive prices for what is involved to give greater profit to both the Dealer and Brink.

Has anybody had a full quote for supply and installation including electrics?

That's the way it is - unless you find someone to fabricate one for you

I will see if I can buy one from my dealer but I get it fitted. The chances are the dealer may use the person I use, as have dealers of other makes, and then the dealer adds a massive markup to the fitter’s charges for doing nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

To add to the conversation here a colleague who fits tow bars looked to buy the approved bar to take a bike rack on my 2022 Aygo X but found that Brink will only supply to a Toyota Dealer and not to him, even though he is a big customer of Brink’s.

I then went to my Toyota Dealer who has come back to me saying he has throughly checked and says

After doing some searching, Toyota no longer produce a tow bar for the purpose of bike racks on the AYGO X and have stated it must be sourced from a 3rd after market party.”

I have replied giving them the details, part numbers and a copy of Toyota’s Installation Manual. I wonder if it is only in the UK they are not available. But then my contact in the trade imports from Brink and I understand it is they who said it can only be supplied through the dealer. What the public are not told is that many dealers don’t fit tow bars themselves but use an independent business to do it and then slap on a massive extra bit of profit for themselves.

I will report back when I find out any more.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links