Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing stuck on dashcam on the windscreen

JayCee88

My TS comes with a dummy Dashcam that is stuck to the windscreen. I am planning to remove the base but not too sure if it’s safe to do so, as the dash cam is stuck on the top part of the windscreen with dots. (Please see picture)

Does anyone know what the dots are for?

is it safe for me to carefully remove the Dashcam base using a blade? My concern is damaging the dots  5C9C953A-E27D-4631-B1CF-3E86DEE46C20.thumb.jpeg.2157a191e3d737a378030ae102d7de21.jpeg

IPA usually breaks the bond, you could try WD40 but that is messy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

IPA usually breaks the bond, you could try WD40 but that is messy

Hi flash22!

Many thanks for the reply. I do happen to have a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol. Would using this damage the dots on the windscreen?

Also do I use cotton bud around the corners and carefully pry open as I go?

A82BBAF0-5024-4EC2-B8C8-B707914B94DD.thumb.jpeg.84daba504ae2ff2942ed4cc7f53aeffe.jpeg

• Like 2

Have a look on youtube for suggestions to remove the fitting plus most of the adhesive using dental floss…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

those dots are bonded to the screen (they are there to reduce the rate of expansion and contraction of the glass)

stick an old towel on the dash apply the IPA and use a plastic trim tool or old CC/debit card and work the edges, apply IPA as you go so it works its way in

• Like 4

I’ve got it out! I’ve used some dental floss and with some patience managed to pry the base out. I then finished with some IPA to remove any residue. 

I did request the supplying dealer to remove it but they refused. Not sure why they would stick a dummy Dashcam on, but hey ho.

• Like 4

Great thread, I've got a similar problem but with a live Dashcam. It was preinstalled but too high so those dots are intrusive. So due to this thread I now know how to get it off! Any idea how to put the same base back on again?

• Like 2

You will need a replacement sticky pad. Look online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

those dots are bonded to the screen (they are there to reduce the rate of expansion and contraction of the glass)

Is that true?? I've always wondered what those dots were for; I thought it was some rubbish attempt at a sun shade or something :laugh: 

BTW, are the dots on all your windscreens stuck on or in the glass?

In my previous cars they were stuck on and you could physically feel them, but on my Mk4 they seem to be embedded in the glass somehow as it's just smooth.

34 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Is that true?? I've always wondered what those dots were for; I thought it was some rubbish attempt at a sun shade or something :laugh: 

In my previous cars they were stuck on and you could physically feel them, but on my Mk4 they seem to be embedded in the glass somehow as it's just smooth.

I can feel the dots so I suspect it’s stuck on. 
71 reg TS trek

Sorry for going off topic, but does anyone know what this is? Only noticed it when removing the old Dashcam mount. Looks like some kind of sensor. 

F28A3B8D-C8B3-406F-820B-32889B146CB4.thumb.jpeg.82c49574fa2deec66edf2e73d382056d.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this may answer the question asked by @Cyker

• Thanks 1

Thanks, although I'm not sure if those are the same thing I'm talking about...

I'm not talking about the black band and 'halftoning' that run around the edges but the bigger ones that extend an inch or so around the mirror pod and don't get smaller but are fairly large (5mm ish?) and are very uniformly spread and sized.

They almost seem like they're designed as an extra shade to fill the gap between the driver and passenger sun shades, which is why I thought that's what they were for.

I think you're right. Near the bottom of the article is says

"Frits are slowly evolving over the years and modern cars now add “third visor frits” right behind the rear-view mirror to block the sun between two sun visors."

Is this what you meant?

• Like 1

The black coatings  around modern glass windscreens etc are called obscuration bands and have several functions. Primarily they protect the adhesive used to bond the glass from UV light and actually help the adhesive bond better. As mentioned above they also dissipate and even out heat stress in the screen and the transition from solid band to dots help this. Finally they are also a design feature

• Like 2

That's exactly what the article Big_D posted said :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 5:36 PM, JayCee88 said:

My TS comes with a dummy dashcam that is stuck to the windscreen. I am planning to remove the base but not too sure if it’s safe to do so, as the dash cam is stuck on the top part of the windscreen with dots. (Please see picture)

Does anyone know what the dots are for?

is it safe for me to carefully remove the dashcam base using a blade? My concern is damaging the dots  5C9C953A-E27D-4631-B1CF-3E86DEE46C20.thumb.jpeg.2157a191e3d737a378030ae102d7de21.jpeg

I replaced my 380gw with a Voifo today and it's in the same place as yours and I just used the plastic trim tool and gently prised it off and what ever sticky pad is left on the screen comes off easily with your fingers.

• Like 2

Bizarrely a lot of the Dashcam makers seem to use very high quality 3M adhesives instead of some cheap no-name tape so it's surprisingly resilient and doesn't just fragment.

I've even reused it after unsticking it!

41 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Bizarrely a lot of the dashcam makers seem to use very high quality 3M adhesives instead of some cheap no-name tape so it's surprisingly resilient and doesn't just fragment.

I've even reused it after unsticking it!

To be honest, this is what I would expect. I would rather have a high quality 3M tape that holds the Dashcam in place, than a cheaper low quality tape that doesn't stick

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:13 PM, JayCee88 said:

Sorry for going off topic, but does anyone know what this is? Only noticed it when removing the old dashcam mount. Looks like some kind of sensor. 

F28A3B8D-C8B3-406F-820B-32889B146CB4.thumb.jpeg.82c49574fa2deec66edf2e73d382056d.jpeg

That should be where the camera system is for the radar and street sign system.

The radar is behind the Toyota Badge on the grill - and the camera is up high - think it also has the rain sensor in there too.

• Thanks 1

I've just removed my base from the window in order to sell the car. Used a hairdryer on the outside of the glass to warm the adhesive, and then prised off with a plastic trim removal tool. My other option was the dental floss and then isopropanol. 3M sure is powerful these days!

I should have thought to suggest the hairdryer trick so sorry about that! Good job getting it out in one go - I had to saw at mine with some string to get enough of a gap to get a plastic prying tool in!

A lot of dashcams use the 3M VHB double-sided pads and they really work as advertised! 3M make some really good stuff.

• Like 1

better than the cam falling off with every pothole .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links