Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Temperature related question

abh86

Hi,

I recently bought used Toyota Auris (2011 Manual Petrol 1.33 Auris Edition VVT-i) on 11Mar2023 and this is first time I own Toyota. 

I see my engine temperature goes to more (please refer attached picture) even for very short journey.
I so far didn't take my car for longer journey except on first day. I drove 30 mins on first day of buying car but didn't check temperature that time.

Is this normal engine temperature for short journeys (in attached pic)? I checked Engine coolant level and that's okay.

Toyota-Auris-Engine-Temp.jpeg

Edited by abh86
Engine coolant level update
  • Like 1

That is exactly where the temperature should read once the engine is warmed up.

• Like 6

Thanks. Can I then consider this as normal for 15mins drive?

Yes, the central bar is illuminated. It is exactly at the centre (correct) point.

The 1.33L is small and fuel efficient and it can take 3 to 4 miles to reach that point in very cold weather and particularly in slow (<30mph) traffic.

I have never seen mine go even 1 bar over that point even in the hottest weather and after extended high speed running.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, abh86 said:

Thanks. Can I then consider this as normal for 15mins drive?

It can get quickly to work temp when weather is warm and if you drive more enthusiastic, if you drive at slow speeds it will usually take a bit longer in the cold weather. 
For your peace of mind you can lift the bonnet and check your coolant level on cold engine, check oil level too. You can start and let the engine idling for around 20-30 min with heating off and watch temperature gauge, after the 20th minute the coolant temperature should reach around 95C° and the radiator fans should kick in and spin, this is how your cooling system works if everything ok. A good idea to have obd2 adapter and app or scan tool so you can watch precisely the coolant temperature. If test ok you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 3

My one tries to get to the half-way point as soon as possible then holds it there come hell or highwater :laugh:  Modern cars, esp. ones with EGRs and temperature controlled coolant pumps, can warm up very quickly.

Mine only struggles in winter, because either the cabin heater is sucking all the heat out of the enginefaster than it can generate it or it's just so cold and the engine isn't running all the time that the tiny aluminium engine block just doesn't have enough mass to hold the heat in!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hello good people!

I recently bought my Toyota Auris 1,4.

I am looking at the Engine temperature and not sure if this is ok for 20 minute ride, no heating on ang mild temperatures outside.

Reason that Check engine light is on because I have to clean DPF.

toyota.jpg

I would suggest that is normal. A Diesel engine's  coolant usually takes longer to reach operating temp. because they're more thermally efficient than their Petrol counterparts.

The above assumes (never assume!) it's a Diesel, 1.4 and the DPF reference.

The check engine light could also be faulty thermostat. If engine can’t reach optimal temperature, the egr valve can’t be open, causing the warning light. It’s also confusing that diagnostic will report that something is wrong with EGR, but the real cause could be thermostat.

• Like 1

It could also be that the temperature is low because the ECU thinks something is wrong and it is not supplying as much fuel as it normally does.

Bottom line fix the engine light first so that you know everything else is good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anita.a said:

Hello good people!

I recently bought my Toyota Auris 1,4.

I am looking at the Engine temperature and not sure if this is ok for 20 minute ride, no heating on ang mild temperatures outside.

[...]

¡Tranquila, Anita!

That temperature is normal after 15 or 20 min from cold start. In fact, mine doesn't move from that gauge position (no matter 30ºC or 0ºC outside...)

"Mine" is the 2.0 litre Diesel

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, koji said:

That temperature is normal after 15 or 20 min from cold start. In fact, mine doesn't move from that gauge position (no matter 30ºC or 0ºC outside...)

The temperature on dashboard gauge can be misleading. It’s not precise, it works in steps.

Correct temperature can be read via one connector.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links