Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4.5 Plug-In, how much does it cost to charge?

Scottydog007

Just purchased a 2023 RAV4 phev. We are on the 1yr Fixed loyalty tariff  ending Sept 2025 (22.4p/kwh and 60.5p/day standing charge)

We are charging initially  using our external 13A socket whilst researching the various home chargers.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the OVO App charge anytime recognised the car and is applying the 7p/kwhr rate if I charge overnight (typically it starts around 23:30 to finish by 07:00)

My thoughts on costs to charge and run  are below and makes me wonder why anyone would charge a PHEV at a public charging point (assuming you can find one that has the right socket)

Assuming 45 miles on full Battery

10.7kwh appears to be what the OVO App is recording for each flat to full charge

- £0.79 10.7kwh 7p/ kWh 1.75p/mile

-£2.40 10.7kwh 22.4p/kwh 5.3p/mile

-£8.53 10.7kwh 79p/kwh 18.9p/mile from a Public charge point

- 45mpg £6.36/ gal 14p/mile 

- 35mpg £6.36/gal 18.2p/mile

- 280mpg Toyota claimed combined  £6.36/gal 2.2p/mile

- 113mpg Which test result combined £6.36/gal 5.6p/mile

On 3/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, Scottydog007 said:

So the range of the Plug-In is approx 50 miles, and this can be sufficient for a lot of people charging every day. Now I recently bought a RAV4 plug-in but had not put in much research on charging. My dealer installed a charge, so when I charge the car it takes approximately 2 hours and my smart meter states it is costing £2.87 per hour and the car gives a range of approx 50miles. Now I have no idea if this cost is good or bad.

Are there others that have found out a cost?

Now my energy supplier is OVO and they do not recognise this charger and so will not give me a deal, like night charging. British Gas installed this charger on behalf of Toyota. So maybe I need to change energy suppliers. Are there other good energy suppliers out there that people are using?

I also have the Toyota home charger, and am on OVO. If you download their Anytime Charging app, you can register your RAV4 (assuming you have created an account and linked your vehicle to the MyToyota App).

This will give you a heavily discounted price for charging your car, anytime of the day. It’s about 7p/kwh at the moment. Doesn’t always pick up my car charging as it is a beta version (not all manufacturers are supported by OVO Anytime) for Toyota currently.

So, based upon 7p/kwh taking approx 15kwh to fully charge, and the car doing 50 miles on a charge, it’s working out about 2p/mile. My previous car was a diesel doing 50mpg, and I reckoned that was about 10p/mile.

9 hours ago, Mudge00 said:

Just purchased a 2023 RAV4 phev. We are on the 1yr Fixed loyalty tariff  ending Sept 2025 (22.4p/kwh and 60.5p/day standing charge)

We are charging initially  using our external 13A socket whilst researching the various home chargers.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the OVO App charge anytime recognised the car and is applying the 7p/kwhr rate if I charge overnight (typically it starts around 23:30 to finish by 07:00)

My thoughts on costs to charge and run  are below and makes me wonder why anyone would charge a PHEV at a public charging point (assuming you can find one that has the right socket)

Assuming 45 miles on full battery

10.7kwh appears to be what the OVO App is recording for each flat to full charge

- £0.79 10.7kwh 7p/ kWh 1.75p/mile

-£2.40 10.7kwh 22.4p/kwh 5.3p/mile

-£8.53 10.7kwh 79p/kwh 18.9p/mile from a Public charge point

- 45mpg £6.36/ gal 14p/mile 

- 35mpg £6.36/gal 18.2p/mile

- 280mpg Toyota claimed combined  £6.36/gal 2.2p/mile

- 113mpg Which test result combined £6.36/gal 5.6p/mile

If you adjust when you want your car charged to suit, I’m finding the 7p/kwh applies anytime of the day, not just overnight.

9 hours ago, Mudge00 said:

My thoughts on costs to charge and run are below and makes me wonder why anyone would charge a PHEV at a public charging point

You wouldn't really. If you intended using public charging points, you'd have bought a BEV that supported DC rapid charging. The benefit of the PHEV is that it is a hybrid and can run both happily and economically on boring old petrol which is readily available when you are on a longer run.

For now, at least ... 😉

I'm not sure that you really need to go to the expense of installing a fast charger at home either - but each to his own.

I'm on the 13A external socket daily.
6.9p/kWh overnight via EON. 
Daily commute costs me less a pound - was over 5 on my previous 2.2 diesel. 
PHEV is the perfect car for me. 
Dreading the potential future of EV's only...unless tech and infrastructure improves at a good rate. 

3 hours ago, P_J said:

I'm on the 13A external socket daily.
6.9p/kWh overnight via EON. 
Daily commute costs me less a pound - was over 5 on my previous 2.2 diesel. 
PHEV is the perfect car for me. 
Dreading the potential future of EV's only...unless tech and infrastructure improves at a good rate. 

6.9p/kwh for overnight🤔 if this is the case, all do yourselves a favour and get a night meter and charge your car, use the  washing machine and dishwasher etc.

11 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

6.9p/kwh for overnight🤔 if this is the case, all do yourselves a favour and get a night meter and charge your car, use the  washing machine and dishwasher etc.

We don't need a 'night' meter - just a bog-standard smart meter which most have now anyway ...

Overnight EV charging rates are currently between 6.7p per kWh to 7.9p per kWh so it's a very reasonable deal if you can switch significant loads to the period between midnight and 5-7 am. But of course non-off-peak electricity then typically costs rather more making the calculation somewhat 'complicated'.

• Like 2

Yep. Agreed. I have spreadsheet covering my typical household energy usage so can choose a suitable tariff for this, but everyone needs differ so definitely worth reviewing. I'm considering a move to the 6.7p with EON (primarily because the peak time costs are lower than my current one), but the increase in Gas costs offsets it somewhat. All depends on how cold this winter will be compared to my primary source of data (last winter), and how frivolous my WFH wife is with the thermostat! 

My 2023 PHEV is charged overnight on the Octopus EV tariff that's around 7p per unit. I tend to see around 4 miles per kW range so it works out very cheap. Maybe 90% of my miles are on the Battery. The mpg on petrol though is very good, surprisingly so.

23 hours ago, philip42h said:

We don't need a 'night' meter - just a bog-standard smart meter which most have now anyway ...

Overnight EV charging rates are currently between 6.7p per kWh to 7.9p per kWh so it's a very reasonable deal if you can switch significant loads to the period between midnight and 5-7 am. But of course non-off-peak electricity then typically costs rather more making the calculation somewhat 'complicated'.

Unlucky for you  guy's, this is our October rate and no smart meter😉

23 hours ago, philip42h said:

inal Supply Price*
(€/kWh)
Consumption up to 500 kWh/month
Consumption > 500 kWh/month

* The displayed final prices include a 6.5% discount off the October 2024 basic supply prices, as well as the Fluctuation Mechanism charge.

Night 
Fixed fee (€/month)
-
Final Supply Price*
(€/kWh)
All kWh/month

* The displayed final prices include a 6.5% discount off the October 2024 basic supply prices and the Fluctuation Mechanism charge.

• Like 1

I'm with Octopus at £0.08 per kw overnight, so if the new RAV4 PHEV has a 18.1kw Battery it will cost £1.44 to charge it, my outgoing Merc EQS had a 90kw Battery which I could charge for £7.20, but if it was normal day time rates it would be (£6.12 and £30.60)

HTH

1 hour ago, Boristhebounce said:

I'm with Octopus at £0.08 per kw overnight, so if the new RAV4 PHEV has a 18.1kw battery it will cost £1.44 to charge it, my outgoing Merc EQS had a 90kw battery which I could charge for £7.20, but if it was normal day time rates it would be (£6.12 and £30.60)

HTH

Welcome. The PHEV works a little differently to your full EV. It will not fully empty the Battery, it saves roughly 30% so it can operate as a hybrid and still give the full power from combined engine and electric power after the Battery is “empty “. According to other discussions on here, it also doesn’t charge to full to protect the Battery (none of that only charge to 80% on the PHEV). In reality, the usable capacity for EV mode is about 12.5 kWh and that will give you about 50 miles give or take. Accounting for losses you’ll like find a full charge uses about 14 KWh, or at least I do. 

Only if we already had huge solar panels and garage, PHEV is cheaper than  regular hybrid if we include the cost of new cars and Battery replacement when the time will come for replacement. PHEV Battery is easily 3-4x more than regular hybrid RAV4. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links