Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X cheaper tyres

Jostan

I'm about to buy an Aygo X with the 175/65x17 H tyres.  Not that I'll (hopefully) have to worry about the cost of replacements for a while (currently £88+ Falkens seem to be the cheapest) but what's the opinion on here.... Do you think tyre prices for this size will drop over the next year or two as other manufacturers produce in this size, or will they always be expensive because of the Aygo's oddball sizing?

My own opinion is that the Aygo has always been one of Europe's best selling A-segment cars & with some manufacturers having pulled out of the segment, Toyota's sales volumes are not likely to diminish.  Quite possibly the opposite.

I think this tyre size will become more popular as we move towards more affordable electric city-cars / superminis & that a few more manufacturers will start producing & costs will drop over the next couple of years.  

Quite possible as the aygo X gets sold more and other supermini may use that size too. A big factor will be energy and food prices to be kept low and materials cost also to reduce. 

I have a Yaris hybrid on order. Tyre size is 195/55/16, once that is done will change it to 205/55/16 - one of the cheapest tyre profile. Goodyear EGP2 cost £305 for a set atm, about 4 weeks ago were under £280 a set. 

Certainly in time more manufacturers will offer tyres in the Aygo X's size.

A previous example of a car having an unusual size of tyre when first introduced into the UK was the Verso S, where the original tyre was a specific size only made by Dunlop in Japan. Nowadays there is a choice of tyre manufacturers offering this size from budget ranges upwards.

Tyres with odd sizes will always be on the expensive side. Aygo X tyres won’t become any cheaper unless more car manufacturers starts using the same sizes. One car manufacturer does not make enough volume to reduce the price imo., even if they sell a lots of Aygo’s. What could happen is to have eventually a large choice, more brands to offer tyres in this sizes., which is still a good thing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Aygo X tyres won’t become any cheaper unless more car manufacturers starts using the same sizes.

In excess of 60,000 Aygo X were sold in Europe between March 2022 and November 2022 - 2022 being the first partial year of production.

As time goes by, sales in subsequent years will be more than this - probably around 80,000-90,000 per year based on sales of the previous model.

Consider the fact that owners usually replace more than one tyre at a time - often either 2 or all 4.

Certainly some other tyre manufacturers will want a share of this limited sector, whether or not other car manufacturers adopt the same size, so the assumption they will leave the market to the OE tyre manufacturer isn't going to happen.

In today's world of increased inflation, tyres may not necessarily be much cheaper, but there will probably be a wider choice to suit varying budgets - including budget ranges.

• Like 1

Well Continental have recently introduced summer and all season tyres, and Semperit all season tyres in the Aygo X size - which adds to the tyres in this size from Falken, Goodyear and Michelin. So I'm certain more will follow - including the Asian brands for those on a budget.

• Like 1

As said elsewhere it is the tyres for the 18 inch Aygo X wheels that are a crazy price at the moment, can be nearly £100 more per tyre than the 17inch tyres.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links