Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel consumption is high

ttanzel

I have 2010 Aygo it is using full tank to only deliver 210 miles and some time 160 miles .what could be done to fix this issue .any one who can help 

Work out the actual fuel consumption to provide a more accurate picture. 

Brim the tank, record your mileage, and use the car. When it comes to fill up again, record the mileage & how much fuel has been put in, and then work out the actual fuel consumption.

Then come back to the forum with the mpg.

Aside from the above, when was it last serviced, what type of use (urban, heavy stop/start traffic, motorway, etc), are the tyres inflated correctly, etc.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Without inspecting it first hand, it is difficult to say what is the problem.  However, I can point out a few areas that you can look at:

1. Engine Oil.  Recently, a friend of mine bought a 2009 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Diesel.  It was very low on MPG (Miles Per Gallon) around 20s for a Diesel.  He came to me and ask if I can service it and possibly clean the O2 Sensor for him.  I did change the Oil, Oil Filter and Air filter.  O2 Sensor on the other hand: 1 I couldn't find it. 2. Cleaning O2 sensor is a risky manoeuvre as it can be damaged in the removal or cleaning process.  So I didn't touch that sensor.  After the oil change, the mpg improved from 20s up to 38. (Honestly, I was shocked)

2. Leaking fuel.  Sniff around and see if you can smell any petrol.

3. Worn piston rings (carry out a compression test both dry and wet).

4.. Worn Timing Chain / jumped timing.

I would definably start with the basic, engine oil and oil filter (besides sniffing for leaks of course).  If that doesn't improve, it will be compression test.  Should you find a huge difference (greater than 30 psi) between the dry and wet test, that means the engine is worn.  If that is the case, unless you have the skill to rebuild the engine, it will likely be moving onto another car.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links