Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

10 million Yaris

Max_Headroom

Not the least surprising, a very good city car. Had gen 1 & 3, 4 end of year, done my bit. 

• Like 4

I have noticed on the Yaris Facebook page the young ones are now buying the older versions as they are good value and they are doing  them up, i never thought i would see the day Yaris would be popular with the kids.

I guess the fact they are reliable means they shouldn't need too much spanner work and if things go wrong second hand parts should  be easy to get hold of.

May be an image of 2 people, car and outdoors  May be an image of car and outdoors

• Like 2

Aye a lot of us young ones 😊 are fans of the older Yaris, I believe that the mk 1 is generally a well engineered car.

No experience of the others though myself.

The components and build quality on mine are holding up so far , touch wood, after 20 years of use.

A lot of people I understand, think that  a good idea is to buy a new cheap car,as in this will be my "last car".

I disagree with that philosophy, and think that original quality is a lot more important than year of manufacture.

As long of course as the enemy "rust" is kept at bay.

And of course, I may be deluded, but I also think this old car has character, rather than a bland appliance with wheels.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When the first gen came out, I thought it's going to be a great city car along with Toyota's reliability. It looks on the feminine side, that did not stop me from getting one. Got a 1.3GLS, did want a T sports, but due to higher price and running cost stop me from getting one. 

• Like 4

When we got our first yaris (1.3cdx, called del sol as we bought it in Holland) i hankered after the SR with the fluted hubs and slightly lower suspension. When i first saw the t sport i did think that was what the yaris should have been like from the start. Glad i finally bought my one a few years back. Still puts a smile on my face every time

• Like 4

I still pine for my old Mk1 D4D sometimes; Only the japanese could make something so silly and genius as a high-revving turbo diesel with a short-ratio gearbox :laugh: 

That thing was a hoot to drive - Felt more like a very powerful petrol than a diesel. You could drive it in almost any gear because it had so much useable torque.

It's a very unassuming car too, cuter than the Starlet it replaced, but not as plain as a Polo or angry as the later Fiestas :laugh: It has a distinctive look without being overly flash, unlike how a lot of current awful EV designs are going, but at the same time it's a fine balance between understated looks and boring!

• Like 4

I'm on my third Yaris now - had a 1999 1.0 CDX, then a 2006 1.3 T3 and now a 2014 1.33 Icon.

All of them have been great cars in terms of never really breaking down, -but  they had a few niggles such as squeeky carpets (Mk2 and Mk3), notchy gearchange (mk2), alloys on the Mk1 had to be replaced as they leaked pressure round the rims. I had the Mk1 till it was 17 years old, the same for the Mk2, which was sadly written off when someone drove into the back of it.

I'd say overall, if you can put up with their very few niggles, they make a good, reliable car as long as you keep that engine oil changed regularly to keep the timing gear happy.

IMG_20230205_162540816.jpg

IMG_20210427_185343321.jpg

100_1537.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

When the first gen came out, I thought it's going to be a great city car along with Toyota's reliability. It looks on the feminine side, that did not stop me from getting one. Got a 1.3GLS, did want a T sports, but due to higher price and running cost stop me from getting one. 

Well Mojo, even with the Tsport, the feminine side of the Yaris helps me to get in touch with my inner feelings.

Which mainly consisted of  deluded macho tendencies and memories of 70s nightclubs 😁

What I really wanted,was an imported Mustang, but made do with a 3 litre GT Capri that was a bit rough to say the least.

The sunroof dumped a load of cold water in my lap on acceleration, there were 7 spark plugs evident under the bonnet, six of which were inserted into cylinders, the other one into a rubber pipe, that I had no clue went from where to where.

It always started though, and pulled with plenty of power.

But looking back, that was a solid car, and like so many would have been worth saving, shame I was too dumb to recognise it's potential, and maybe £20 ,000 value today.

• Haha 2

Were you the stunt man for that episode of Only Fools and Horses where Rodney jumps his Capri with the barmaid in it?? :laugh: 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Were you the stunt man for that episode of Only Fools and Horses where Rodney jumps his Capri with the barmaid in it?? :laugh: 

How did you guess?

Of course, the Lincolnshire branch of Elstree studios was at the time unrecognised by the media.

The butcher *true story* who bought it from me, bounced his first cheque, and didn't want to know, until I went into the shop and asked for a full fillet of beef, and then offered a cheque in payment.

He seemed to think this was unreasonable, until I showed him the returned cheque from my bank for the car.

If I remember right,he then extracted the princely sum of £285 from the till to pay me.

He must have sold a lot of sausages that day.

• Haha 3

I'm glad you solved your beef with him. I always butcher stories like that because I can't fillet in all the details... :whistling1:

• Haha 2

I was pretty upset at the time, I certainly didn't mince words with him.

• Haha 2

On 4/4/2023 at 8:58 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Aye a lot of us young ones 😊 are fans of the older Yaris, I believe that the mk 1 is generally a well engineered car.

No experience of the others though myself.

The components and build quality on mine are holding up so far , touch wood, after 20 years of use.

A lot of people I understand, think that  a good idea is to buy a new cheap car,as in this will be my "last car".

I disagree with that philosophy, and think that original quality is a lot more important than year of manufacture.

As long of course as the enemy "rust" is kept at bay.

And of course, I may be deluded, but I also think this old car has character, rather than a bland appliance with wheels.

Aye we grow attached to anything that we keep long term. And give them names and personalities 😀. But in reality they are just cars.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Aye we grow attached to anything that we keep long term. And give them names and personalities 😀. But in reality they are just cars.

Now you guys don’t you go replacing the word car with SWMBO.🤪🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links