Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear seats and backrests wet.

peter.ling24@gmail.com

Hi, have read water ingress related topics on this forum. I’ve followed recommended suggestions, break light seal, rear boot seal, foldout rear door windows seals. I have found the rear seat fabric to be wet. Have found that the rear light cluster on the passenger rear to be leaking water. Is it possible, for the water getting into the car via the rear light cluster, to get the top of the seat and backrest wet? Have sat in the car when it’s been raining and my son has hosed the car with me in it, but other than the light cluster, there’s no obvious other leak. Could it be possibly capillary action which is drawing water up from the bottom of the seat? Next job, have the rear seats out. Anyone has this kind of problem with the seats getting wet?

appreciate your thoughts.

peter.

• Confused 2

Hi Peter,

Sounds very strange that the top of your rear seat and the headrests are wet! I persoanlly doubt capillary  action would be able to reach so high in the vehicle and you would also find that the bottom of the seat(s) would be wet.

Your profile indicates a 2005 Avenis T Spirit, is this the vehicle that's suffering the water ingress or is it an Aygo? I ask as you mention fold out rear door window seals which I don't think are relevant to the Avenis but are fitted on the five Aygo's.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DerekHa said:

five Aygo's.

Should have been:  "five door Aygo's"

What year Aygo - first or second generation??

It is the rear light seals or a cracked cluster, water runs to the lowest point - the spare wheel well in the boot that will slosh around and end up with a damp interior

Could be just condensation and if its the Platinum version the seats do have a clammy feel if its not used much. Are they fully wet or just damp to the touch? Do the windows mist up and have you got rid of all the remaining water. Check the carpets in the rear footwells. They can become like sponges as on the surface they may look okay but the underlay is soaked. Can also come in depending on how the car is parked eg on an angle. The vents behind the bumper are another place it gets in as the foam gaskets go to mush.

thanks everyone for your posts. Its a 2012  first generation. water is definitely running towards the rear passenger seat. it rained a lot today and yet again the rear seats were wet again. The water is running down the jointing seams and under the seat. I’ll check tomorrow the bump stops for the boot lid. It may be leaking through them.

appreciate your reply.

thank you.

bump stops were watertight. Took out rear seats. Will wash car tomorrow and see what happens?

Totally in agreement with your comments. Water was getting in through the light cluster, specifically where the wiring loom connects. Have siliconed beneath the existing seal and on top of it. Will put the hose on it today. The rear seats are wet, leaving dark watermark stains. There is a small tear to the seat cover that may be contributing to the wetness. 
really appreciate your helpful comments.

peter

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies.I’ll  post some pictures of the water marks on the seats. It’s the aygo not the avensis. I thought I posted the aygo problem on the aygo forum.

sorry for any confusion.

Hi, enclosed is a couple of photos of the state of rear seats in the aygo.17F8586E-DC83-4D12-967A-D03795FE74C5.thumb.jpeg.cfcda6a0c7ee26b646f6dae2c43412fd.jpeg89D56602-A2BA-477B-95B8-5920A44D208B.thumb.jpeg.03564614eee14e6813c6c94f94b1bdad.jpeg

• Sad 1

Thats odd it looks like someone has jet washed the back seats there is no way that is water ingress, maybe wet dogs ?

if they are still wet get them out of the car and clean them with a carpet cleaner to clean them and suck any moisture out, or clean by hand and wet/dry VAC

• Like 1

Thanks flash22. 
no dogs! I thinks what happened is the the hi vis tail light was leaking like a siv and copious amount of water was leaking through the edge of the head liner. There is evidence to suspect this. Also drove long distance on two very wet days. This may account for the way the water dripped onto the seats whilst driving. I didn’t notice any obvious signs. The light is now water tight, so no leak there now. Have finally succeeded in stopping (I think) the water through the light cluster. Third time lucky I guess! 
peter

• Like 1

From my experience, water on back seats is usually the 3rd level brake light or the boot seal, which you have already done. Some owners have fitted an additional partial rear boot seal above the original to divert water away. Also the rear boot seal gets loose over time and crude gets in the channel causing a leak, you can remove, clean the channel and pinch it back up, cheap easy fix or it may be too far gone and need a new seal. You may already done all these, but just incase. 

Thanks Puglet,

I changed the boot seal as you suggested. It rained yesterday and there was no obvious signs of water in the boot at all. I think your right about the 3rd level brake light leaking. Just need a good wash and vacuum on the rear seats now. 
appreciate your comments.

peter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links