Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Window slightly ajar, someone threw a ciggie & burned a hole

Mojo1010

So damn annoyed. Forgot to close window completely today and found a cigarette burned a hole in front passenger seat. Over the years most of us have forgot to shut the car window many a times, never a deliberate lit cigarette thrown in. Disgusted.

Found a guide to cover it up. Giving a go when able to get hold of the glue and razor blade. Was too puzzled and upset to take a photo earlier. 

https://youtu.be/TD7NODrDz_k

• Sad 3

Many years ago, my old (new then) ax had a cigarette burn in the rear seat.

My wife at the time was a skilled seamstress, and stitched the seat with a curved needle.

Just about an invisible repair.

But of course depends on how big and how bad the burn.

• Like 3

The curved needle is a very good ideal, think I will try that as it's a more permanent fix, thanks.  

• Like 2

A alternitive is call out or pop around to a car seat upholster in your area.

13 hours ago, Derek.w said:

A alternitive is call out or pop around to a car seat upholster in your area.

In fact I think that the needle my wife used was called an upholsterers needle.

Many years ago now, but IIRC to avoid pinching together the seat material, she inserted some thin cotton type tape under burn between the material and the foam before stitching in with matching thread.

Of course it helps if the seat pattern is dotted or similar rather than plain.

• Like 1

If you can find a bit of the same fabric under a seat.  You could then use that.  If the hole has singe marks cut out until you have a clean edge. 

Take your fabric patch.  Fasten a small button and piece of card on the bottom with a thread. Put some adhesive* around the edge of the upper surface of the patch. Put the patch in the hole and pull up into the hole using the thread and apply counter pressure on the seat. 

To stop the original fabric fraying you could seal with a thin spread of adhesive.  Or you could do a weave with the curved needle first one way then the other # not an edge seam. 

*copydex is easy to use. 

If you have something to practice on first that would help. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Took 90 mins to do, not great but that's all I can do. Still see it, it is what it is. IMG_20230519_180951.thumb.jpg.9593979b4f0b032bbe902180f4f29346.jpgIMG_20230519_180946.thumb.jpg.cc7c8a3810dd39622eedb480f3d8f6d3.jpgIMG_20230417_124717.thumb.jpg.5bd22cc8f4def65ba4476c5c5e8e0687.jpgIMG_20230417_124722.thumb.jpg.c2ba07a0a80671183f7ae402468b431b.jpg

You could use some grey thread, again with your curved needle, and sew some thread 90 degree to the thread you've already put on...make some grey tracks. It's certainly serviceable as it is, but adding the contrast would take the eye away from the repair a little. 

• Like 2

I still think you have done a fantastic job though 👍

• Like 2

Aye - If I'd tried that the seat would have ended up sewn to the steering wheel and gearstick gator or something :wacko: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links