Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Report Supermarket petrol quality

marlinleg

Moved to General Club Discussions as the Which? article doesn't only relate to the Rav4.

Toyota's recommendation for what fuel to use (95RON) is a minimum requirement.

If we use supermarket fuel (normally Tesco as that's our nearest), we opt for Momentum Super Unleaded for the better additive package. Also our cars seem to run better on super unleaded - whether it is our current Aygo or i20 or our previous cars.

Not interested in advertised claims for better economy, as the car does what it does, full stop.

• Like 2

Thank you for the information

I found this  article interesting on the Lexus Forum 

thanks to Wharfhouse  running a IS 300

I have used supermarket fuels for decades and run cars to high mileages without any problems. 

I found a noticeable drop in economy using the new E10 (over the old spec 95 octane fuel) - strangely not immediately but after a number of months. 

I switched to the new E5 instead of E10 and the economy went back to previous (or slightly better) levels making the same trips in the same conditions comparing the same supermarket E5 and E10 (in this case the same Sainsbury's). 

The difference between E10 and E5 fuel economy is between 5% and 10% - I find if E10 is in the tank for some time (a few weeks) the economy definately falls off which doesn't happen with E5. 

As for performance I can't really tell the difference between E5 and E10 but the car does run noticeably quieter and smoother on E5 - again this is comparing E10 and E5 from the same Sainsbury's. 

My conclusion from the above was if there is less than 10p (at today's prices) difference between E10 and E5 then using E5 will break even or save me money (and the car seems to run better on E5). Now, Sainsbury's used to be about 6p difference per litre between E10 and E5 (so definitely saving me money) but more recently I noticed the difference has crept up to 10p a litre. 

I've tried various branded E10 and have not noticed a significant change over the supermarket fuel - for me BP E10 seemed to offer a small improvement, Shell E10 not (in fact I thought it was slightly worse) and so overall I do make a saving using supermarket fuel given the extra cost of branded fuel. The E5 price difference for branded fuels I've tried (which is often more than 10p a litre) could never be more financially economical. 

If you try Esso 99 for most of the country it is ethanol free ... and I found went further in my Yaris. 

It is marked as E5 as E5 covers 'up to' 5% Ethanol but for most of the UK according to the Esso website it is 0% ethanol.  I think some of the NE and SW have 5% Ethanol but the rest sit as 0%.

I try to fill with it when I can but it is dearer than Tesco 99, even with a fuel card I have which saves me 5p a litre.

I used to buy 99 Ron as my BMW was remapped for it but tbh use it in all my cars due to the better cleaning agents and fact the cars seemed to run smoother with usually 20 or 30 extra miles per tank.

I use Esso in my C-HR, and in the wife;s Yaris, E10 is used in both cars and at £1.429 per litre we're happy. I also find that the Esso fuel give me more miles per gallon that Shell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links