Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Safety Sense (or whatever its called)

152bobby

So, I have been playing around with the functions on my Aygo X and altered and changed a few things.

Off, topic for a second, I bought a new lawnmower, so have a massive big box and since I have a 70ft side drive, I thought I'd try a little experiment. 

I placed the large Empty box down the drive and drove towards it very slowly with no braking, I thought that that the car would apply the brakes for me , but did not.  So I then tried driving at about 15 mph and it still did not apply the brakes.

Now, that box could be a small child, so what am I doing wrong ?  Have I switched something off ? Or have I got this just totally wrong ?

Bobby, I agree with your findings.  At the end of our garage we had our garden furniture stored.  The car would execute an emergency brake a foot from it. 

Last week ee took the furniture out but left the cushions in.  Today the car hit the cushions. 

The cushions were in a bag, 6 feet by 2x2..

• Like 1

So, is something not working, should I discuss this with my Toyota dealer or do a bit more testing ?

This has worked in the past, not exactly when I wanted it to, but it did work.

Let us know what you find out. 

I think it is to do with reflection and absorption.  The furniture, rattan and metal frame in a nylon bag compared with cushions in a lighter nylon bag. 

A cardboard box probably has similar absorption  properties as the cushions. 

I know the proximity sensors sound off with people crossing behind and the car brakes if another car is seen. 

In my cushion case I don't remember the front alarms sounding. 

• Like 2

I'm starting to think it depends what sensors the car has; All new model Toyotas come with the camera pod in front of the rearview mirror, which handles things like pre-collision, lane tracing etc.

Then there is the radar on the nose, although I'm not sure if this is used for the safety sense or just cruise control, and finally ultrasonic sensors on the front and/or rear bumpers.

Mine has all of these and will not let me drive into anything that any of the sensors pick up; At medium-high speed and distance, the camera pod seems to do most of the work, but at low speed it's definitely the ultrasonic sensors. I am curious if a Mk4 without the front and rear sensors would also prevent you reversing or driving into something very slowly like mine does.

• Like 3

I have noticed the car slams on the brakes if you try reversing just after a car has passed you it stops you moving! wont allow you to go even thou its safe to move out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I have noticed the car slams on the brakes if you try reversing just after a car has passed you it stops you moving! wont allow you to go even thou its safe to move out.

There are a few videos on YouTube, this is a good one

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it only worked from 30mph ?

I don't fancy trying to get up to 30mph on my side drive to test it 🤣

• Haha 2

I had mine activate a few weeks ago in the morning peak.

I turned right into a road, with a large tall vehicle partially blocking the road entrance I went around the back of the said vehicle.

As soon as I got around the back a school pupil was slowly crossing the road junction and was occupied by their phone…., I had seen them and intended to go around the back of the youth so not to be strewn across the junction, but the Aygo deemed I was going to hit them so dumped the brakes on me, and I came to a dead stop with “BRAKE!” in a red box on the speedometer screen. 

Once I climbed off the top of dash along with the pens loose change passengers etc etc….the brakes released and I went about my merry way, the youth didn’t make any attempt to move quicker or react and carried on oblivious!

So it does work, just has to be exact parameters I guess.

I have an Apple Watch which has a “gimmick” on it that calls an emergency number if it detects you falling over etc, I tested it plenty of times with pretending, but I couldn’t fool it.

Then last week I slipped over in the garden after some light rain, smashed my face, arm, hands, knees up and damaged my glasses. The watch activated and asked if I was okay? If I hadn’t replied with an interaction on the screen it would have called my emergency number. 
Perhaps not so much of a gimmick after all..

So again…exacting parameters 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Bobby

All your car sensors are probably ok it depents what they were designed to detect.

I suspect all works with metal/wood objects, two legged & four legged friends well some type of radar is required to detect them.

• Thanks 1

I'm picking up my new agyo cross next Tuesday, will be interesting to see how this toyota sense works.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Bobby

All your car sensors are probably ok it depents what they were designed to detect.

I suspect all works with metal/wood objects, two legged & four legged friends well some type of radar is required to detect them.

So I need a pirate with a wooden leg to walk out in front of me 😂

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

So I need a pirate with a wooden leg to walk out in front of me 😂

My frends dont have wooden legs I glad to say not even my pet dogs.

• Haha 1

Lots of people drive into reverse into fence post , even street lamp & pedal cycles left lying on the ground.

Thats what I expect it to pick up cycles well yes if its a radar type.

• Like 1

I know it's meant to slam the brakes on, when for example, reversing out of a space at B&Q (other outlets are available 😆) and a car or pedestrian comes along.  However, I VERY rarely drive in to a space of any kind, I always reverse in, so that pulling out is so much easier and reduces such possible risks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 152bobby said:

I know it's meant to slam the brakes on, when for example, reversing out of a space at B&Q (other outlets are available 😆) and a car or pedestrian comes along.  However, I VERY rarely drive in to a space of any kind, I always reverse in, so that pulling out is so much easier and reduces such possible risks.

Somtimes you have to drive in just so you have access to th boot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links