Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel nut key PLEASE HELP

Bex00

Hello, 

Please can someone help me! I have a lease car through work (nhs worker) I need to get my tyres changed but I can't find anything lime a wheel nut key in my car and I definitely wasn't given anything when I got the car. Can anyone confirm whether this make has wheel nuts as if they don't that would explain why I can't find them! Please be kind, I already know how dense I am when it comes to cars!! Make is Toyota Aygo 1.0 VVT-i X-Play TSS 5dr

Have a look at the wheel nuts on one wheel - You might need to pull a wheel cover off if you don't have alloy wheels.

If one of them is different, that's the locking wheel nut and you'll need a key.

If you really can't find it, the easiest thing is usually to go to a Toyota dealer - Assuming they're original Toyota ones and not after-market, they can photograph the nut and order the appropriate key.

I've heard the security nuts Toyota use are made by McGard, and McGard offer a similar service, where you e-mail them a photo of the nut and they sell you a replacement. I was going to post a link to the form but it just goes to a 404 page in german which isn't confidence inspiring...

https://mcgard.de/en/customer-service

Becky. I don't think cars come with locking wheel nuts as standard.  Both Toyota I have had come with a box of nuts, the key, and 4 locking nuts one on each wheel. 

Look at the nuts on your wheel.  If all nuts are identical there is no locking nut. 

If one nut has a channel cut in it that is the locking nut. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Have a look at the wheel nuts on one wheel - You might need to pull a wheel cover off if you don't have alloy wheels.

If one of them is different, that's the locking wheel nut and you'll need a key.

If you really can't find it, the easiest thing is usually to go to a Toyota dealer - Assuming they're original Toyota ones and not after-market, they can photograph the nut and order the appropriate key.

I've heard the security nuts Toyota use are made by McGard, and McGard offer a similar service, where you e-mail them a photo of the nut and they sell you a replacement. I was going to post a link to the form but it just goes to a 404 page in german which isn't confidence inspiring...

https://mcgard.de/en/customer-service

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Becky. I don't think cars come with locking wheel nuts as standard.  Both Toyota I have had come with a box of nuts, the key, and 4 locking nuts one on each wheel. 

Look at the nuts on your wheel.  If all nuts are identical there is no locking nut. 

If one nut has a channel cut in it that is the locking nut. 

Thank you!

• Like 2

Hi Becky. 

If one of the wheel nuts on each wheel looks something like this, you have locking wheel nuts. Usually the Toyota Dealer can order one for you from you registration number, or VIN. This will only work if the locking wheel nuts haven't been changed from new.

If not, you may need to send them a photo as other members have suggested

Probably easier to take your car to a Toyota Dealer ans speak with their Parts department

• Like 1

Sorry. Forgot to attach a photo

locking_wheel_nut_key.jpg

• Like 1

Steel rim wheels dont have locking wheel nuts just used aluminium wheels.

• Like 1

That's generally true for OE rims, but there are some custom steel rims like you'd get from e.g. Weller that people will use locking nuts on.

There's also a Yaris in a street I park in every week that has 3 alloys and one steel wheel and the steel wheel is held on with the alloy wheel nuts :laugh: 

So there are exceptions, albeit rare edge-casey ones...

• Like 1

If your car has the standard steel wheels with plastic wheel trims then its very unlikely that locking nuts will be fitted.

• Like 3

I know some drivers prefer to use two locking key nuts per wheel for added security.

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2023 at 9:39 PM, Derek.w said:

I know some drivers prefer to use two locking key nuts per wheel for added security.

Durham sounds like a rough place 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

Yes is parts but I find its criminals visiting your/our area.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 11:34 AM, flash22 said:

It's called the small car tax, the Aygo and Yaris have always commanded higher prices, 2.0L and above cars are cheap as the running costs are very high most have downsized, well look at the irish prices 5-7 year old Auris hybrids are selling for 18-20K euro

cheap cars don't hang around, and they're usually cheap for a reason

23 hours ago, Big_D said:

I believe Slough resides within the Berkshire region ? 😉

8 hours ago, rich146 said:

I believe Slough resides within the Berkshire region ? 😉

It does. Do Durham residents come to Slough, where it's quiet, in order to rest and relax?? 😆  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links