Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox?

Hal Mercier

My 2010 Aygo has had what I thought was a wheel bearing whine for some time. Today I checked again and there's no sign of wear or roughness on any corner so I wonder if when I bought the car end of 2019 I failed to check the oil level.....very likely, as there's no gear oil dipstick as far as I know.

The noise starts as a low moan, building with road speed, sometimes it resonates as a 'wahwahwah' noise.

Anyone had this?

I'm booked in to check it running on a ramp on Friday but I'll change the oil tomorrow to be on the safe side.

Wheel bearings can be tricky like that. Spin the wheel and its smooth and quiet - because no load on it. Drop the car back down and drive off and it whines.

Little tip is to spin each wheel with an ungloved hand resting on a lower turn of the roadspring. You can feel vibration at the offending corner.

• Like 1

Thanks..I'll do that on Friday with it in the air.

So probably not the gearbox itself?

27 minutes ago, Hal Mercier said:

Thanks..I'll do that on Friday with it in the air.

So probably not the gearbox itself?

Some little whining from a gearbox it’s a normal occurrence. With new oil you may find it even noisier. Best to check the wheel bearings as mentioned, then check the tyres for cupping, glide your hand over the protectors and if they are rough, one up and the other down it might be from the tyres. Transmission fluid can be checked, drain into a clean pan, make some swirls with a magnetic stick and see if anything attaches onto it and also note it the swirling creates a comet tile like traces. 👍 You can replace with new fluid exact same spec, preferably oem Toyota. 

I'm still pretty sure it's a wheelbearing....I had checked for any wear movement months ago but was surprised that there's still none. I'll check with the 'hand on spring' test as above on Friday.

13 hours ago, Hal Mercier said:

I'm still pretty sure it's a wheelbearing....I had checked for any wear movement months ago but was surprised that there's still none. I'll check with the 'hand on spring' test as above on Friday.

By the time you feel movement it will be making a lot of noise and you'll be in no doubt where the problem is.

Bad wheel bearings can go on whining for many months without developing play. Often the whining will change pitch or volume over time or with ambient temperature.  Sometimes is best to wait until it gets worse....

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 5:32 AM, mrfixer said:

By the time you feel movement it will be making a lot of noise and you'll be in no doubt where the problem is.

Bad wheel bearings can go on whining for many months without developing play. Often the whining will change pitch or volume over time or with ambient temperature.  Sometimes is best to wait until it gets worse....

That's exactly what I felt and is the reason I'd taken no action, but though there's still no detectable play, the noise is driving me bananas.

Just tested, it turns out to be the same bearing I had already replaced!!!

What bearing is recommended as a replacement?

What are Toyota oe bearings? Surely they buy them in from a major manufacturer like Timken?

SKF make good bearings. Biggest bearing company in the world......

• Like 1

I agree.

I wonder who Toyota use for the Aygo....pretty sure they don't manufacture their own bearings, it'd be pointless.

SKF or Blueprint a bit more expensive than the competition but will outlast them 3 fold

From the factory it may be a PSA part so all bets are off on the manufacture, other toyotas use NSK as OEM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links