Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Round About Figure For A Mk2 Please

Yarisboy

It's been a couple of years since I first wanted a mk2, so now i'm finally going to seriously look in to it.

prices seem to range horrendously on ebay/autotrader for mk2's - obviously this relates to their year/condition/rev etc

I'd be after a N/A (because I can't insure the turbo at 20), everything else i'm not too sure about... t-bar might be nice if it doesn't leak! :D

Anyway, if I had say.... £4000 to spend altogether... so £3000 on the car and £1000+ on insurance - just what kind of mk2 would I be able to get, a pimping good one or a faded rust bucket?

Or if I had, say... £4000 to spend on the car - would that get me a dramatically nicer MR2?

I realise alot of the questions are hard to answer because the price of cars fluctuates from seller to seller etc - but your advice would be appreciated and there must be some guys who've recently bought mk2's that can give me an insight

Thank you

Sam

there must be some guys who've recently bought mk2's that can give me an insight

Some1 called....... :D :D

Firstly for £4000 you can get a really nice low mileage late REV2 T-bar or maybe if your lucky an average mileage (85k-100k ish) early T-bar REV3...

Your right with regards to price differences from seller to seller..... but sometimes you may get a private seller whose owned a vehicle for a while (6 odd years) and selling it 'reasonably cheap' BUT be careful as their is a lot of :censor: out there...

But yes - £4k would definetly get you a nicer car than £3k would....

Rash.

I got my Rev 3 for 4k...

It's not had any engine faults at all. It's still strong as a horse and it is quick (had a play about with a Lotus Elise and it couldn't shake me), despite not really looking that quick on paper.

Only thing I will say is, if you go for a higher mileage car, you might find the brakes need some work doing (new pads). Other than that don't let the mileage put you off.

I paid £2400 for a k reg 1993 N/A UK car with 92k on the clock. It had been looked after well. Its white and so I was a bit sceptical about how good the bodywork would be, but its in surprisingly good nick. Tha alternator failed straight away but it hadnt been used properly for a year or so. Other than that it was a great investment and drives superbly. Like someone said, dont let the mileage put you off if its got a good history

Good luck

Alex

Thanks guys, i'll definitely have a good look into it

from the sounds of things then £4k will get you a pretty good mk2 :)

one word of advice .. drive as many as you can .. then you'll know a good one vs a bad one ..

one word of advice .. drive as many as you can .. then you'll know a good one vs a bad one ..

amen to that brotha!...

no better feeling than driving some !Removed! examples and finally driving a minter!.. and then taking it off the guys hand!.. :thumbsup:

£4000 should get you a good rev2 example, if not maybe a higher mileage rev3. Generally imports are somewhat cheaper with less mileage but they tend to have a rather poor history compared to UK cars.

Just to give you an idea, my 1993 rev2 import cost £3500 and came with 6mth warranty. It's done 55k miles and is in good overall condition (gearbox is slightly noisy and paintwork has a few marks but is still very shiny). The car came with 17's and a nice jap exhaust so I feel I got a decent deal. Like people said try seeing a few before you buy.

Again thanks alot everyone - your advice is much appreciated like always :)

I have taken onboard your info and will try to drive as many mk2's as possible before buying, can only be a good idea :thumbsup:

might take 6 weeks, might take 6 months - I will get a good one though :D

Sam

Get yourself down to MR2004 at Bruntingthorpe this Sunday.

There you will see every type of MR2 and you can choose which you like best.

Quite a few of us from TOC will be there too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links