Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glasgow Low Emissions Zone to charge from 1st June 2023

FROSTYBALLS

The second phase of Glasgow's Low Emissions Zone will see all vehicles needing to meet Euro 4 (petrol vehicles) and 6 (diesel vehicles) emissions.

Charging, with some exemptions, starts from 1st June 2023.

Unlike other emission zones, drivers of non-compliant vehicles can’t pay to enter in the zone.

Instead they will receive a £60 Penalty Charge Notice for breaching the rules - halved if paid within 14 days.

However, a scheme surcharge means that the penalty charge amount will double with each subsequent breach of the rules by the same vehicle detected in the same LEZ. Surcharging will start after the first PCN is expected to have been received by the vehicle owner, and will be capped at £480 for cars and light goods vehicles.

Surcharging is reset to the £60 PCN if no further breaches are detected within 90 days of a previous violation.

For full information, see https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/23026

• Sad 2

In other words, another cash grabbing scheme to take money from motorists.

16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

However, a scheme surcharge means that the penalty charge amount will double with each subsequent breach of the rules by the same vehicle detected in the same LEZ.

I wonder how long it will take before this money grabbing scheme is implemented in London

• Like 2

Wow, and I thought the London one was pretty harsh but a total ban with such short notice?? I can see the cost of anything in that area that requires tradesmen shooting up to London levels in the near future...

I wonder how long before they extend it to all of Glasgow...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Wow, and I thought the London one was pretty harsh but a total ban with such short notice??

Think owners have been given around 5 years notice of phase 2.

Phase 1 came into effect in 2018, and the target vehicles were local buses. Key dates were:

Glasgow's LEZ is being phased in to give everyone time to prepare:

• Phase 1 (buses only) was introduced on 31 December 2018
  • Phase 2 (all vehicles) is now in operation but will not be enforced until 1 June 2023
  • Enforcement for vehicles registered to a residential property within the zone area will start on 1 June 2024
  • Like 1

Ah okay. Well at least they got more notice than we did...!

• Like 1

So, once again motorists are the cash cows

• Like 2

Yeah, it's funny how, rather than offering incentives and encouraging people to use public transport or cycle etc. by making it cheaper or easier, they just make up arbitrary reasons to fine drivers.

It really annoys me how the people that implement these schemes just absolutely don't care how it affects people.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:58 PM, Cyker said:

It really annoys me how the people that implement these schemes just absolutely don't care how it affects people.

Too true. It's all about milking the car owners. I try not to go to London any more, unless it is absolutely necessary (for work), and only go in if I can;t do the job remotely via MS Teams or similar. Now, I;m not saying I spent a fortune when I did go into London, buth the small amount I did spend is now coming back home with me. A loss to the shop owners who operate in London. All because of greed (not mine). I don't get to go to Glasgow, but I'm sure there are others, like me, who will be doing the same in Glasgow.

So, as @Cykersays they don't car how it affects people

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

There's one way to beat the cities lez and the London ulez is to buy yourself a cheap classic car which is 40 and more years old and is classed as historic in the V5.

You would think if the council's are that concerned about air pollution all vehicles that do not conform will have to pay.

On Talk TV, a programme I frequently watch, they have ‘hammered’ Sadiq Khan over his extension of ULEZ, pointing out that, whilst he claims to be cleaning up the air pollution, it is OK to carry on polluting provided you pay £12.50 per day.

As Big_D says, the motorists are simply cash cows, and that approach is now so common that Khan, and councils following his example, have the bare-faced cheek to do this  without batting an eyelid because they think we are so accustomed to being ripped off that we just accept it.

Based on recent press reports concerning EV Battery fires, what will they do when EVs become the norm, and fire brigades are regularly fighting fires with pollution that has serious health hazards?   Will they then just introduce a charge for EVs entering specific zones?

• Like 1

And will the fire tenders be electric??

I still believe EVs, while they have a place, are not yet the way forward for all drivers. There is still a lot of research and development to be done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links