Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Could be fine if you run out

Bper

~~~Yes if you run out of fuel/electric you can be fined for causing a obstruction to normal trafic flow.

30 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I've run out of fuel twice in my life. On both occasions the engine cut out as I rolled into the petrol station and I managed to coast to the pump. Talk about good luck.

Perhaps I'm odd. I usually refuel when I get to half a tank. This way I only need to put in about 15-20 litres and it seems as though my fillups are quite cheap. My last fill up was 15.52 litres and cost £22.02 (at £1.419 per litre).

Good luck or good skill? :naughty: 

re. the half-fill, it would be better to run the fuel down more, as you're impacting the economy slightly by carrying all that extra fuel without 'using' it; Ideally we'd all only use half a tank for the lower weight, but nobody wants to deal with the hassle of estimating that.

To be fair, with the tiny tank in the Yaris, I don't think it would make enough difference to matter :laugh:  As it is I'm usually only putting in 26-28L worth after doing 450-500 miles!

• Like 3

Refill half way is one way to cover all angles, though it carry more weight. With the MK3 Yaris normally can fill upto 30L even just below empty line, so there is a 6L buffer. Seriously can't wait to have the MK4 in my possession with better fuel economy, handling and power. 

• Like 2

I have noticed comments on range anxiety and wondering is this a modern senario or has it always been with us. Filling the car to the brim gives many of us a sense of ease when we leave the petrol station  but how often do we keep looking at the gauge to see how far it has moved. This perhaps becomes worse as the gauge gets lower.

Has this become a double edge sword with the EV gauge and how much is left or how much is it charging. Is this in built into our DNA .How many do the same unconsciously with say sitting in a pub and seeing the glass getting towards the bottom and looking at the bar to see if it's clear enough if it's busy to get another without worrying about waiting ages to get served, or perhaps leaving early on a holiday to avoid traffic or airport security delays or seen so many times people rushing to get on the plane despite the seat being allocated at check in. People queueing 20 minutes before a supermarket opens to be first in.

These are common human forms of anxiety so is this just another with fuel range concerns. I suppose this leads on to what causes anxiety in different people. It would be interesting to hear from others their comments.

• Like 1

After I've filled up, I tend not to look at the gauge at all. I only start looking when I get to around the halfway mark. I'm not so concerned about the extra weight If this were the case, I would empty out the emergency kit in the boot of the car (now there's a good topic for a new thread).

I prefer to have at least half a tank in case I need to head off somewhere in a hurry. That way I don't have to worry about refueling. Probably the same reason I always reverse into a parking spot. Ready for a quick getaway 😀

• Like 1

My reason for reversing into a parking bay is because the RCTA in my Mk4 won't let me out half the time if I go in nose first! :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links