Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 Aygo Brake Warning Light when Accellerating/Braking

CalAygo

Hi all,

My 2014 Mk2 Aygo has developed an issue whereby the brake warning light comes on when braking or accelerating. It started a couple of days ago as a one off event, until yesterday when it seemed to keep happening when applying the brakes firmly. Today it is still doing it but seems to be triggered even easier.

I have checked the brake fluid level and it is in between the two lines. I plan to buy some DOT 4 fluid to top it up a little bit.

Something else that may be relevant: I had a rear drum brake service about a month or so ago and all has been good up until this weekend.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what this could be?

Regards,

Cal

*Edit* The brakes feel absolutely fine, even when giving them a firm shove.

One other thing to note:

The brakes feel absolutely fine, even when giving them a firm shove.

Do you mean the red warning brake light ? These usually comes on when brake fluid level drops below min, when hand brake hasn’t been released properly. You can double check on hand brake pull up and release again all the way down. 👍

• Like 1

What brake warning light? The ((!)) looking one?

If so I suspect the handbrake needs adjusting as it must be touching the sensor/switch that turns that light on or something. How is the handbrake, like, how tight and how many clicks to engage?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Do you mean the red warning brake light ? These usually comes on when brake fluid level drops below min, when hand brake hasn’t been released properly. You can double check on hand brake pull up and release again all the way down. 👍

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What brake warning light? The ((!)) looking one?

If so I suspect the handbrake needs adjusting as it must be touching the sensor/switch that turns that light on or something. How is the handbrake, like, how tight and how many clicks to engage?

Thanks - it is the ((!)) looking one. However, the beeping noise is faster than the noise it makes when I manually raise the handbrake, and it only lasts for a second or so.

The handbrake was adjusted at my last MOT in April and feels good, probably 5-7 clicks to engage.

Update - FIXED!

It turns out the brake fluid level sensor is very sensitive. Even though the brake fluid level was between the min and max levels, it was giving me a brake warning message whenever I was accelerating/braking, or on a steep incline.

I topped up the brake fluid levels yesterday (literally only about 50-100ml) and the warnings have stopped.

Thanks again. Hope this is useful to someone in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for feeding that back! :thumbsup: 

I didn't think it could be something as trivial as that either so it's good to know! Glad it was something easy and not something serious!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 6:20 PM, Cyker said:

Thanks for feeding that back! :thumbsup: 

I didn't think it could be something as trivial as that either so it's good to know! Glad it was something easy and not something serious!

UPDATE!

Turned out that topping up the brake fluid was not the fix, as I realised when I came to a junction and lost 80% of my brakes.

I pulled in to a car park with brake fluid leaking out of one of my rear brake pipes. Pressing the brake pedal was shooting brake fluid out of the brake pipe where it connects to the drum. I had to hobble to a local garage to have the brake pipe replaced; they said that when the previous drum brake service was carried out, the technician likely twisted the pipe when attempting to remove the pipe from the brakes.

Funny thing is, this time there was no brake warning lights at all!

So my advice would be, if you see a brake warning light, complete a visual inspection of the brake pipes!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links