Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nextbase Camera and engine off

Donrald

I have had my Aygo X Exclusive for nearly 9 months. Pleased with it. When I bought it I got the dealer to install front and back CTV cameras. I think he has not wired it up correctly and will raise it on the next service, it’s first. When you start the engine it makes the usual noise saying it is firing up. If I am stopped at lights etc. and the engine goes into cut out mode, the cctv usually switches off at the same time and then comes back on when I release the brake and the engine fires. Anybody else had or have this issue? I suspect it is no more than the dealer has not wired it into a circuit that stays live, like the radio.

I have the Nextbase 622GW front and rear in my Aygo X Exclusive.

I have noticed that when I'm sitting in the car with engine on waiting for someone the screen goes off, but it's still recording.

Similarly, if I'm at the traffic lights for a long time it does the same, but as soon as the car moves, the screen comes back on.  Even if you move about in the car, mine comes on.

I'm pretty sure this is ok and it's working fine.

For real piece of mind, you can ask the question on the dashcamtalk Forum below, they are pretty good.  Once you are in click Forum and the look for the Nextbase section.

https://dashcamtalk.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For some reason I could not attach a link from the Dashcam Forum/Nextbase.  I found a question and answer similar to yours, so I've attached a screenshot of the question and answer.

Screenshot_20230517_134208_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230517_134220_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 152bobby said:

I have the Nextbase 622GW front and rear in my Aygo X Exclusive.

I have noticed that when I'm sitting in the car with engine on waiting for someone the screen goes off, but it's still recording.

Similarly, if I'm at the traffic lights for a long time it does the same, but as soon as the car moves, the screen comes back on.  Even if you move about in the car, mine comes on.

I'm pretty sure this is ok and it's working fine.

For real piece of mind, you can ask the question on the dashcamtalk Forum below, they are pretty good.  Once you are in click Forum and the look for the Nextbase section.

https://dashcamtalk.com/

@152bobby I want to buy a Nextbase for my new Aygo X. Can I ask what of these two options do you have for rear?

image.thumb.png.d12f38824de10cf3bda6b61adaf1dd1e.png

The first one (rear window cam) I think it's better but you need to put cable to the rear area.

The one on the left which sticks to the rear screen.  The other one is for seeing through the cabin out the back window, which is absolutely useless.  There is also a third option which is really for inside the cabin, mainly for taxi drivers etc. Also, depending where you legally locate your Dashcam, when you put your sunvisor down, it blocks these two.

I did extensive research on these via YouTube videos.

If you want the best coverage whilst actually identifying what's been recorded, the one on the left is best, even though you have the hassle of feeding the cable to the rear.

If you can people can afford it, the top of the range 622GW is the best.

You just have to research "best dashcams" and this is nearly always 1st or 2nd.

• Like 4

Just now, 152bobby said:

The one on the left which sticks to the rear screen.  The other one is for seeing through the cabin out the back window, which is absolutely useless.  There is also a third option which is really for inside the cabin, mainly for taxi drivers etc. Also, depending where you legally locate your dashcam, when you put your sunvisor down, it blocks these two.

If you want the best coverage whilst actually identifying what's been recorded, the one on the left is best, even though you have the hassle of feeding the cable to the rear.

This also takes the largest Nextbase Dashcam before it overwrites previous recordings.  My research also lead me to using only Nextbase branded SD cards.

• Like 1

Adding what I know on Dashcam, whichever cams you get, try to get one with a capacitor built in so it last. The normal Battery one will probably last 2 years with the hot and cold climate we have. 

• Like 2

None that I have ever had have a decent Battery life. They are just not really built for not being connected to a power supply of some kind.

• Like 2

The dashcams have their own Battery, so chances are its just working off its own Battery whilst the engine is off. Mine is not currently wired in and it does stay on for a few seconds.

• Like 2

Surely it depends how it's wired in to the car/ignition etc ? There's probably a preferred/advised way that the manufacturer/installer should do it ? I've used the same guy for years and a few installs, so I assume he knows/knew what he's doing.

My Aygo X has start/stop, so it turns the engine off at traffic lights etc, but there's still power getting to the car infotainment system etc.

As many new cars have start/stop, I'm sure the Dashcam manufacturers have compensated for this !!! Because dashcams just don't like being switched off and on all the time with start/stop doing it many times whilst driving !!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 152bobby said:

The one on the left which sticks to the rear screen.  The other one is for seeing through the cabin out the back window, which is absolutely useless.  There is also a third option which is really for inside the cabin, mainly for taxi drivers etc. Also, depending where you legally locate your dashcam, when you put your sunvisor down, it blocks these two.

Do you know if I need to buy the "Cables Series 2 Hardwire Kit" to install it in the car or if all wires are included in the camera?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Hard-Wire-Kit-Camera-Black/dp/B07QHTPPYJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ALOUBG99BBBP&keywords=Cables+Series+2+Hardwire+Kit&qid=1684346780&sprefix=%2Caps%2C639&sr=8-3

• Like 2

You'll need to buy the hardwire kit if you want to have the parking option etc. And obviously the extension cable to go from the Dashcam to the rear camera on the window.  Just be sure to buy genuine Nextbase products.

All the Nextbase dashcams only come with the cigarette lighter adapter for power in the box, so you'll need to purchase the hardwire kit (not expensive). The Nextbase website have "bundle" options...have a look.

• Like 3

It depends how you want to install it.

The Dashcam comes with a ‘cigarett lighter’ power plug in the box.

If you want to hard wire it you will need to buy a separate hard wire kit similar to the one from Amazon.

Edit ….@152bobby beat me to it …..😁

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

You'll need to buy the hardwire kit if you want to have the parking option etc. And obviously the extension cable to go from the Dashcam to the rear camera on the window.  Just be sure to buy genuine Nextbase products.

All the Nextbase dashcams only come with the cigarette lighter adapter for power in the box, so you'll need to purchase the hardwire kit (not expensive). The Nextbase website have "bundle" options...have a look.

sorry @152bobby asking too many questions... what are the parking options? 

I'm between the 622GW and the 522GW, I think the 522GW being 2K should be enough. 

Do you have any link to read about the sd cards? I though to buy the SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Class 10 U3 V30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P4HBRMV/?coliid=IQ5IAFL7XCWN5&colid=1U7USISCBBOV5&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 2

Honestly, you can't beat the hardwire option, no wires etc, fit and forget it.  In future if you sell your car, you can just unplug your cameras and take them with you and tuck the cables into the headliner or just tell the new owner what the cables are.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, soso said:

sorry @152bobby asking too many questions... what are the parking options? 

I'm between the 622GW and the 522GW, I think the 522GW being 2K should be enough. 

Do you have any link to read about the sd cards? I though to buy the SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Class 10 U3 V30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P4HBRMV/?coliid=IQ5IAFL7XCWN5&colid=1U7USISCBBOV5&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I could do all the work for you, but best to simply Google your question and you'll find your answers... honestly, stretch yourself to the 622GW if you can.  No point in doing a half arsed job, have accident and you can't get the details you need from the footage.  I'm not saying the 522GW is rubbish, it's not, but my research just always pointed me to the 622GW.

Some people say they have no issues using non branded Nextbase SD cards, but if you ever have a problem, the FIRST thing Nextbase Customer support ask, is "what SD card are you using".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I could do all the work for you, but best to simply Google your question and you'll find your answers... honestly, stretch yourself to the 622GW if you can.  No point in doing a half ubikd job, have accident and you can't get the details you need from the footage.  I'm not saying the 522GW is rubbish, it's not, but my research just always pointed me to the 622GW.

Some people say they have no issues using non branded Nextbase SD cards, but if you ever have a problem, the FIRST thing Nextbase Customer support ask, is "what SD card are you using".

thanks for your help!

• Like 2

And the parking options that come with having the Dashcam hardwired is, options like, if the car is bumped, it auto records it, you can even set it to record people just walking up to the car, but this no good if you park your car in a busy street, it will just hammer your SD card.  Loads of options you can turn on/off to suite your needs....but like I said, use Google or the Nextbase website, its very good.

• Like 4

I have the Nextbase 622, along with a rear view camera and the hard wire kit, (even a Nextbase SD card). I have had it in my previous three cars and found it to be excellent in all respects. The rear view camera has a long enough lead to more than go from the front windscreen to the rear. I do however, have a bit of a problem getting it all to work in the Yaris Cross, but I will be startinmg a new thread a bit later about that.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2023 at 9:32 AM, Donrald said:

I have had my Aygo X Exclusive for nearly 9 months. Pleased with it. When I bought it I got the dealer to install front and back CTV cameras. I think he has not wired it up correctly and will raise it on the next service, it’s first. When you start the engine it makes the usual noise saying it is firing up. If I am stopped at lights etc. and the engine goes into cut out mode, the cctv usually switches off at the same time and then comes back on when I release the brake and the engine fires. Anybody else had or have this issue? I suspect it is no more than the dealer has not wired it into a circuit that stays live, like the radio.

The Nextbase 'hardwire' power supply kit comes with a fuse tap connector to take power from a circuit via the fusebox.  When Start/Stop is activated it powers-down non-essential circuits to reduce drain on the Battery. Clearly the dealer has tapped into one of those non-essential circuits. It should only take a minute or two to move the tap to a circuit that stays live.

I agree. A simple task. I would do it myself but crawling around in the footwell is not nice at my age. With my previous car the dealer, same one, did things wrong as well. He used the position taken by the 12v charger for the camera such that the charger was dead. That I put right. 

• Like 1

Best route is along the headlong, not the footwell.  Took me about an hour, the worst bit is the tail gate bit !!

• Like 1

I've just been down to Halfords today to purchase a new camera (they had a 522G Nextbase combo deal with a new SD card as well for only £219, so the voucher I had covered that and some of the cost of the fitting. She's booked in for early june to get it fitted. I couldn't do all the wire tucking in myself as my hands are arthritic.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, soso said:

@152bobby I want to buy a Nextbase for my new Aygo X. Can I ask what of these two options do you have for rear?

image.thumb.png.d12f38824de10cf3bda6b61adaf1dd1e.png

The first one (rear window cam) I think it's better but you need to put cable to the rear area.

Just to add to 152bobby's response, my Aygo X has a dealer installed Nextbase 380GWX. The rear unit is attached to the rear window and the cabling seems to be fairly straightforward to run. (it was actually on the top of my must-have accessories).

However, I have also been hassling Nextbase support recently because I found that on 2-3 occasions, the cameras had gone non-responsive.

If your front unit comes with an LCD screen, do get it as there is no indication on 380GWX that it is not recording.

I also find the mobile phone software terrible and slow. Lastly, the Toyota Smart Connect/Android Auto and Nextbase CamViewer fight each other when trying to connect to the camera over wifi. If only Toyoto and Nextbase would speak to each other and sort out the connectivity conundrum.

• Like 1

I totally agree with the Toyota Smart Connect fighting with the Nextbase when trying to connect to it in the car via wifi....take the Dashcam out of the car into the house or turn your car off, the Nextbase is fine connecting to WiFi.

I did have a slight issue with the cable that goes from the front Dashcam to the rear...it became faulty, Nextbase where excellent and after some troubleshooting, we realised the cable developed a issue, Nextbase sent me a replacement free, next day delivery, this was excellent, but I had to go through all the same crap feeding the cable from front to rear, very frustrating, but that's life !!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links