Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Essential stuff in the boot

Roy124

Aka Junk, or junk until needed. 

A spare wheel, jack, brace and nuts for starters. Then all the stuff that Toyota don't provide. 

First Aid Kit

Warning triangle from my old Merc though I don't think I would be brave enough to use it. 

A mat for kneeling on. 

A towel. 

A space blanket, used it once on a driver after a crash where her partner had died. 

First aid kit. 

Wipes and disposable gloves. 

Windscreen cleaner and cloths 

Umbrella 

Waterproof jacket 

Fleece blanket

Snow and ice scraper and deicer (winter) 

Snow shovel (50p in a motor shop in 1968)

Snow socks though I don't have any for the Yaris yet. 

• Like 2

Ooh lets see... well, excluding my work gear...

Ice scraper/Squeegee

Windscreen sun shade

Various rags/microfibre cloths

Several unopened bottles of water

Important Emergency Big Bag of Galaxy Minstrels (v. important)

Blanket

Picnic ground sheet

Windup torch

Spare wheel, tools, nuts

Foot pump

Sticky string puncture repair kit

Flimsy plastic seat cover

0.5L Washer fluid

1L Oil

Empty 50kg rice sack (Multi-purpose mat/container/traction aid etc.)

Kitchen roll

2003 UK Road Atlas (I really should replace that...)

2007 London A to Z (That too)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

First Aid Kit

Warning triangle from my old Merc though I don't think I would be brave enough to use it. 

A mat for kneeling on. 

A towel. 

A space blanket, used it once on a driver after a crash where her partner had died. 

First aid kit. 

We have one first aid kit including space blankets.

Red LED emergency warning light with 10 light sequences.

Space saver, jack, locking wheel nut key.

Spare headlight bulbs.

High visibility waistcoats.

Victorinox  Swiss army knife.

Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools.

Squeegee for clearing windows.

Rechargeable tyre pump.

Tyre pressure gauge.

Tyre valve caps.

Hand cleaning wipes.

If travelling on long journey, top up oil.

Torch, umbrella, spare phone in glove box.

Additionally in winter: fleece blanket, coat, de-icer, scrapers, washer fluid.

• Like 1

I forgot we have a 12v Compressor too.  My emergency torch !Removed! phone charger !Removed! jump starter is under the bonnet.  Hi Viz jackets are in pockets behind the front seats. 

We add water for trips but I like Cyker's suggestion for a RatPack.  I once had a US Forces self-heating MRE.  Add water to a plastic pouch and a metal plate in a cardboard box cooked the meal.  The cardboard had the helpful instruction 'do not eat'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blimey  I must be doing something wrong, apart from the spare wheel and jack etc, I have a small scan tool and a electric tyre pump and that's it.

I have a microfiber cloth in the glove box and a pack of polo's in the front cup holder. Seeing what others have I think I will have to assess what I carry.😅

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

My emergency torch !Removed! phone charger !Removed! jump starter is under the bonnet.

Blimey, what did I say? 

My emergency torch , phone charger and jump starter is under the bonnet. 

Can't think of anything else. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Bper said:

Blimey  I must be doing something wrong, apart from the spare wheel and jack etc, I have a small scan tool and a electric tyre pump and that's it.

I have a microfiber cloth in the glove box and a pack of polo's in the front cup holder. Seeing what others have I think I will have to assess what I carry.😅

To be fair you're probably saving a few mpg by not carrying all this junk! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

To be fair you're probably saving a few mpg by not carrying all this junk!

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have the following:

A Hard Hat (might need it when I go on site, but have never used it yet)

Yellow Hi-Viz jackets x 4

Towel

Blanket

Scarves (for me and the Good Lady)

Gloves (for me and the Good Lady)

Jumpers  (for me and the Good Lady)

Spare socks

Shoes

Space blankets

Four bottles of water

Long life Breakfast bars (snacking food)

Locking wheel nuts

Spare phone charger

Spare fuses

Pliers

Reversible screwdriver

Disposable gloves

A torch

Spare medication

A First Aid box

Needle and thread 

Hand wipes

Knife, fork, and spoon sets

Solar charger

Car cleaning kit (Dash spray, windscreen cleaner cloths, and bird **** remover)

Funnel

A pre-paid credit card (which can be topped up using my phone)

An umbrella

De-icer and scraper

And most importantly, a roll of toilet paper 

Starting to look like a lot of us have very similar items although I seem the only one with a triangle and Frosty with headlight bulbs

• Like 1

Mine has LED headlights so, no bulbs necessary

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Big_D said:

Mine has LED headlights so, no bulbs necessary

True. 

Though I heard that some EU countries require you to carry spare bulbs.  That 'spare' bulbs may not fit is something else. 

I suppose, logically, if your bulb is a unique garage job to change then carrying a spare away from home was sensible. 

• Like 1

The only user changeable bulbs on the rav are the fog, reversing and indicator lights, and the rear indicators need a socket set and pull out the whole unit, and for the fogs you need a socket set and to pull away the wheel arch.  None of these are really jobs you'd want to do on the side of the road.

I used to carry stacks of stuff, tow rope, jump leads, tools, all sorts.

Now I just have a decent leatherman type multitool and a better wheel brace for getting airgunned nuts off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

True. 

Though I heard that some EU countries require you to carry spare bulbs.  That 'spare' bulbs may not fit is something else. 

I suppose, logically, if your bulb is a unique garage job to change then carrying a spare away from home was sensible. 

I've heard anecdotes to that effect, e.g. man goes to France, gets fined for not having bulbs despite protesting his car has LEDs which are non-replaceable. Next time, he first goes to Halfords and buys the first set of bulbs he sees, then goes to France, gets pulled over, shows the bulbs, given the OK :laugh: 

• Like 2

A bit like breathalysers.  You have to carry 2.  I recall the illogicality, a friend who has a home in France related the story in a fashion that Sir Humphrey Appleton would have been proud. 

• Like 1

The bulbs in both cars are upgrade halogen headlight bulbs - so have a shorter life than standard halogen. bulbs carried are those that fit the cars in question - although spare bulbs for the steering headlights on the i20 aren't carried.

Learnt my lesson re carrying spare bulbs when a bulb expired whilst on holiday on Skye a few years ago, where there are no main dealers and the couple of independents probably wouldn't have the specific bulbs for our car.

• Like 2

Frosty, quite.  I was in a SAAB on Applecross just across from Skye.  We were on a field caravan location and driving across the field both headlight bulbs failed.  80 miles back to Inverness. 

As an aside, it was our first time with a hired caravan and we had no feel for the fuel consumption.  We realised we didn't have enough to get out with the caravan.  Fortunately we were able to get a jerry can of petrol from Plocton. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links