Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing masking tape glue residue without damaging paint

kaboo

Hiya,

Last week my rear windshield got damaged but it took 3 days to get Autoglass to come and sort it (it was through insurance). Meanwhile I taped a plastic sheet over it to prevent it from flooding with rain - we have quite a heavy rainfall last Friday. I had used masking tape hoping since it is supposed to come off the walls and wood paintwork, this would be ok.  

But it has not come off cleanly, lots of bits of tape and glue left on the paintwork. How can i get it off without damaging the paintwork?

Cheers 

Another alternative is to slightly heat the tape to soften the glue (DO NOT OVERHEAT). This should soften the adhesive enough to allow you to peel off the remnants of the tape. The sticky residue from the glue will still remain. Spray some WD 40 on this and wipe it off with some clean paper towel. The WD40 will remove the sticky residue. 

I use this method all the time when removing sticky labels from jars and bottles I want to keep and use for something else. 

I second the WD40

• Like 1

Or gentle agitation with warm soapy water and a microfibre mitt/cloth (e.g. just soak the cloth, bunch it up then plop it on top the the affected area and let it soak in then gently massage it to give it time to lift up the tape and adhesive.)

Am very surprised the masking tape has done that - It's whole purpose is to come off without residue!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links