Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 Aygo brake problem,sliding backwards when handbrake on.

raredancer

I have had my Aygo a year it has 8000 miles on the clock I bought it from a main dealer and have only done 1500 miles as it has a brake problem, it has been back several times to the dealer who have failed to fix it and I wondered if anyone can help. 
If I have to stop on an incline I pull the handbrake up, put it in neutral and sometimes it will slide backwards anything from a few inches to several feet and I can’t stop it.  if I have to stop for any amount of time on a hill  while driving I have to put the handbrake on and hold it in gear on the clutch which isn’t ideal as if you are stuck in a jam as I was the clutch begins to smell of burning, 
My drive is sloped and the only way I can park it on the drive is if it’s facing down the drive, it  facing up it slides backwards never forwards. 
Some days it is worse than others.

I took it back yesterday again , the handbrake was adjusted, rear shoes de glazed and adjusted  I picked it up took it home  pulled up the drive  braked, handbrake on, took my foot off the brake and it slid back about six foot, tried again  put it in gear still slid back.  Apart from this the brakes are fine, I can only think maybe for some reason when the handbrake is applied  the shoes aren’t making full contact with the drums. My friend has an Aygo and she has no trouble parking on my drive or stopping on hills,  I also have a fiesta which I park on the drive, it has never rolled back so I don’t think it’s anything I am doing that is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated especially if you have had the same problem, thanks

It's a cable hand brake with rear drums, so it's a simple design - it sounds like the brakes are assembled wrong any place that does MOT's will be able to check the rear brakes in both directions

what you may need to do is on an empty road get up to speed slowly pull the handbrake up with the button pushed in, and put the hand brake back down, repeat a few times, also do this in reverse

that should centre the shoes and set the self adjuster

Assuming the car is manual, when parking on a slope put it into gear. First if facing uphill, reverse if facing downhill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links