Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pay Per Mile

Bper

13 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Americans are going down a fixed fee for or at least some are wanting to go that way for EV and we usually copy them.

This one way that this works in the USA but don't forget the bit at the bottom.

The cost of pay-per-mile insurance varies by insurer and how much you drive. And like a traditional auto insurance policy, your own driving history and personal characteristics are used to determine your monthly base rate.

Don’t automatically buy into the savings the company says you may find — in order to know how much you can save over your current carrier, you’ll need to do the math after you get a quote.

To estimate how much you’ll pay for pay-per-mile insurance, use the following formula: Monthly base rate + (Per-mile rate x Approximate number of miles you drive per month).

For instance, let’s say your pay-per-mile quote shows a monthly base rate of $34 and a per-mile rate of 5 cents. You generally drive 800 miles a month.

You can calculate your monthly rate as: $34 + (.05 x 800) = ($34 + $40) = $74.

Again, this is only an estimate, and your actual cost per month will vary depending on how many miles you drive.

That was one of the other possibilities we'd talked about in another thread; Set the VED flat-rate high enough to cover the lost fuel tax cost - This would be the easiest and cheapest to implement, but would make it hard for them to justify installing aforementioned draconian devices, and would also discourage low-usage people from even owning a car, while encouraging high-milers like me and TonyHSD to maximize usage to make the most of it.

I suppose in one sense it would encourage car ownership more from people who actually need them.

I didn't think any government was looking at going down that route, so to hear the USA are considering it is very surprising; How much is the fixed rate they are looking to charge?

• Like 1

As regards GPS units I doubt very much Government would require motorists to fit these retrospectively.

They've not done this in the past with other legislative requirements ranging from seat belts in 1966 through to DRLs in 2011 and 2014, to AVAS in 2019 and 2021, etc, etc.

They've always adopted a staged approach - ie. making fitments compulsory in new cars from set dates.

• Like 2

It may be seperate to your insurance as its a form of road tax addition just think of your electric bill if you overpay you in credit if at the end of a year if not you owe some money.

Yes other options will be avaible like monthly payments & of course pay per mile.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

That was one of the other possibilities we'd talked about in another thread; Set the VED flat-rate high enough to cover the lost fuel tax cost - This would be the easiest and cheapest to implement, but would make it hard for them to justify installing aforementioned draconian devices, and would also discourage low-usage people from even owning a car, while encouraging high-milers like me and TonyHSD to maximize usage to make the most of it.

I suppose in one sense it would encourage car ownership more from people who actually need them.

I didn't think any government was looking at going down that route, so to hear the USA are considering it is very surprising; How much is the fixed rate they are looking to charge?

That's a valid point on car ownership how many people who own cars actually use them on any regular basis and they are  just stuck on the side of the road or drive . It begs a question why own something that you don't use just for the sake of having it.

I have never seen so many cars on a daily basis unmoved from parked positions.

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards GPS units I doubt very much Government would require motorists to fit these retrospectively.

They've not done this in the past with other legislative requirements ranging from seat belts in 1966 through to DRLs in 2011 and 2014, to AVAS in 2019 and 2021, etc, etc.

They've always adopted a staged approach - ie. making fitments compulsory in new cars from set dates.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply they'd do it retrospectively, was just asking for a like-for-like comparison, i.e. Just the cost of them going to the 2 million new cars in our hypothetical scenario.

All the AVAS stuff has already added to the cost of vehicles considerably; I reckon a mandatory GPS system, especially a country-specific one, would add at least a few hundred pounds to the per-car cost right off the bat; Far more than 2 years of extra MOT!

There is just no scenario where using GPS trackers to track for pay-per-mile wins on cost. Its only advantages are draconian ones that are not in the driver's best interests...

9 hours ago, Bper said:

That's a valid point on car ownership how many people who own cars actually use them on any regular basis and they are  just stuck on the side of the road or drive . It begs a question why own something that you don't use just for the sake of having it.

I have never seen so many cars on a daily basis unmoved from parked positions.

Yeah, I think people have reduced their usage due to fuel costs - There has been a large increase in the use of electric scooters, bikes and mopeds over the past few years - but don't want to get rid of them completely as you can't drive the family to a holiday park or take your rubbish to a dump on a scooter :laugh: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply they'd do it retrospectively, was just asking for a like-for-like comparison, i.e. Just the cost of them going to the 2 million new cars in our hypothetical scenario.

All the AVAS stuff has already added to the cost of vehicles considerably; I reckon a mandatory GPS system, especially a country-specific one, would add at least a few hundred pounds to the per-car cost right off the bat; Far more than 2 years of extra MOT!

There is just no scenario where using GPS trackers to track for pay-per-mile wins on cost. Its only advantages are draconian ones that are not in the driver's best interests...

Yeah, I think people have reduced their usage due to fuel costs - There has been a large increase in the use of electric scooters, bikes and mopeds over the past few years - but don't want to get rid of them completely as you can't drive the family to a holiday park or take your rubbish to a dump on a scooter :laugh: 

In regards to the hypothetical cost of GPS for tracking, the cheapest is around £30 and can range up to £700 however let's take a average of £50-£100 that's in the region of  £200 million. But new cars will have these built in so costs would have to be altered to allow for this. But that cost is more then offset by the revenue per mile would bring in over a few years. The costs would rise year on year of course.

It will also allow for additional fines to be ievied to also compensate for any lost revenue. Whatever it will not matter as we always foot the bill no matter the cost.

I think it's strange how many people still think the government has its own money.  It is our money.🤬

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links