Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Emission Parking Fees

Bper

Owners of the most polluting cars may soon have to pay more to park as councils across England are expected to roll out new charges based on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions .

Lambeth is the latest council in London to introduce emissions-based parking fees, with similar charges now expected elsewhere in England. Owners of the most polluting cars can expect to pay more than twice as much as cleaner cars. There are now 26 different charges to park for an hour in Lambeth, depending on a car’s tax band and whether there is a diesel surcharge. The cost of a parking bay near Waterloo station in south London now ranges between £6.30 and £13.23 an hour, with payment made by an app.

The consultation on the charges introduced on 30 May included a new pricing structure for residents’ parking permits, which are already based on CO2 emissions. The annual cost of the highest band has risen from £340.73 to £500, with an additional annual surcharge of £140 for a diesel vehicle that does not comply with Euro 6 emission standards.

Of more than 2,900 responses in the consultation, 59% objected to the proposals. Lambeth has implemented the changes despite opposition, stating that air quality is a major public health issue and a wide range of interventions is required.

The drive to reduce car journeys and create what are known as 15-minute cities (in which key local facilities are within 15 minutes walk or cycle from someone’s home) has created divisions in many neighbourhoods.

A small network of streets in Herne Hill in south London is one of the low-traffic schemes being piloted in Lambeth, which stops residential roads being used as “rat runs”, with wooden planters installed as barriers.

I bet that data  on expected emissions maybe the should be looking at cars actually omissions as they drive along the roads and issue a fine for vehicles with very black smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

It just may force more to go visit a garage when they know the car has a problem as a lot just ignore it even if they have a light on on the dash until mot time then it fails.

• Like 1

There are some vehicles which aren't taxed according to emissions - eg. some Japanese Imports where CO2 information isn't available. So how does Lambeth tackle these?

• Like 3

In most boroughs, resident parking permits are already based on CO2 emissions so this seems like an extension of that. I'm guessing lower emission cars won't have to pay less than they currently do and everyone else will just end up paying even more.

I'm not sure how they'll deal with unlisted CO2 ratings, but from what I've seen with parking permits they seem to either get charged at the highest value or the lowest value depending on the borough, so maybe similar?

• Like 2

They are really trying to price us off the road, we are already paying according to what emission the car is throwing out with vehicle tax and now they want to charge us for parking up the vehicle which will be stationary and will be ZERO emissions.

We are to soft in this country and the powers that be know that, we should be more like the French and protest.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There are some vehicles which aren't taxed according to emissions - eg. some Japanese Imports where CO2 information isn't available. So how does Lambeth tackle these?

I suspect they look at the make, model, year and base it on comparable data that will have from DVLA, but residents shouldn't be alarmed the council will not miss out where revenue is concerned, they never do.😀

DVLA won't have comparable data for some which were never officially exported to Europe .....

• Like 1

Money making scheme. 

Hybrid and EV vehicle in my area pay 25% of £125 per car for a resident permit. Live near a train station and road been made a no through road which is a good thing as previously were a struggle to find parking and loads of road raging as its narrow for 2 vehicle passing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

DVLA won't have comparable data for some which were never officially exported to Europe .....

Not having any knowledge of the tax and C02 emission requirements in the EU how are unofficial exported vehicles taxed or registered in the repective countries.  I thought the EU had an agreement and then set this in law of how vehicles are imported and exported and the requirements they had to meet from all countries.🤥

• Like 2

In the UK some grey imports get taxed at a flat rate as verifiable CO2 information hasn't been provided by the owner/importing company to DVLA. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Money making scheme. 

Hybrid and EV vehicle in my area pay 25% of £125 per car for a resident permit. Live near a train station and road been made a no through road which is a good thing as previously were a struggle to find parking and loads of road raging as its narrow for 2 vehicle passing. 

One of the reasons we got rid of our Lexus when we lived in Islington was the cost of parking permits and tax on the CO2 that just kept going up year after year.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the UK some grey imports get taxed at a flat rate as verifiable CO2 information hasn't been provided by the owner/importing company to DVLA. 

I take your point but do grey imports not have to be modified to comply with UK and EU safety standards.?

• Like 2

For the UK, basically boils down to having the speedometer display in mph, rhd headlights (Japanese Domestic Market cars are rhd anyway) and a correctly positioned rear fog light.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For the UK, basically boils down to having the speedometer display in mph, rhd headlights (Japanese Domestic Market cars are rhd anyway) and a correctly positioned rear fog light.

Unless I have got this wrong the above changes you listed are required but reading this article below,the cars over 3 years old require a couple of tests MOT and IVA. The MOT requires a emissions test so the CO2 levels would be confirmed and would the car not be taxed on co2 levels accordingly on both . Now if that is correct would the new cars once reaching 3 years old full under the same.? It's interesting to know.

https://andrewsjapanesecars.com/japanese-import-car-registration-mot-iva-test/

• Like 2

The Co2 levels for a mot pass will be the same for every car regardless if it's a import or not, my mgb is 45 years old and it has to make the same emission's as a modern day car, beauty of having cars with carburettors  is when I pull up at the test centre I pop the bonnet and weaken each carb quarter of a turn so its running lean it will make the engine lumpy and when the mot is finished I reset the mixture to where it should be and hopefully with a pass cert. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links