Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I turned on the AC and went backwards…

Pumatron

My first summer with the Aygo X, blimey what have Toyota done with AC on these cars?

It was noticeable on the previous Aygo X-Trend I had, but liveable.

This Aygo X is in a whole new ball park, switch it on enormous mechanical clunk a whirl and then the noise equivalent of a jet engine engages.

Then forget about actually accelerating, I’m having to drop it down a cog just to keep the same speed, the power drain is the worst I’ve ever experienced on a car, then when the AC cuts out the car lurches with the additional horses being given back for me to play with.

I mean, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s broken, it’s that bad!

plus, it isn’t that cold, I mean it’s cold, but just takes forever to cool the cabin to something remotely cold.

I getting the urge to sell this car…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If me I will try another car from the dealer and if any difference I will ask for investigation and warrant repair. It is a typical for small engine cars to lose power when ac is working but surely should not have been that bad. 
There are some other posts about Aygo x ac but I believe they explained exactly opposite, how the new cars actually has less affect from ac. 

• Like 2

Mine doesn't do all those shenanigans.  I do agree that the air con is not that impressive, even on the lowest setting.

But to be honest, I sort of expected this coming from previous Lexus and Toyota 4x4s over the past 30 years, but it is acceptable.  Same applies to heating, it's pretty poor, hence me still mulling over heated seats for the winter months.

I'd do what TonyHSD has suggested, borrow another one from your dealer or just sit yours next to one and go through the process with the air con WITH a Toyota technician present.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pumatron said:

plus, it isn’t that cold, I mean it’s cold, but just takes forever to cool the cabin to something remotely cold.

I received a wonderful piece of advice from someone who lives in a perennially hot country leading to oven-like conditions in parked cars.
When you turn start the car, roll down all the windows AND (this was very counter-intuitive to me), turn the AC on to full blast.

This cools the car down faster than any other way imaginable.
When the initial heat-shock has worn off (give it a minute or two), you can roll-up the windows and get the car cooling down "normally" and fast.

This summer I have tried many options (towel on the steering wheel, reflective stick-on blinds) as it seems we are living in the tropics.

• Like 1

I have found my Aygo X is absolutely fine perfomancewise, with AC on or not. If I want the car to cool down quicker, I set it to recirculate rather than letting in the warm air from the outside.

• Like 1

Mmmm, me thinks it’s broken. 🤨

That said it has been starting okay for a few weeks, so the gremlin is working its way around the damn thing, A/C’s turn this week…

• Haha 1

Sounds very odd, I havn't had any issues with power and the AC and this is my 2nd summer in the Aygo X. Also the one I test drove had no issues.

The latest cars use a variable-displacement compressor in which the swash-plate angle is varied by a control valve in the compressor. With AC on, the compressor runs continually and its output (controlled by plate angle) can be varied with avilable power and cooling demand.  So at full throttle (when you want full engine power) or at idle (when not much power is available) then the compressor output can be reduced. When cooling demand is high (hot cabin) and power is available (e.g. part throttle cruise) then compressor output can be increased. Taken overall its not much more efficient than the old systems but its much less obtrusive than having the compressor bang in and out at 100% capacity.  

We spend half the year in Thailand and over there I've had various cars including a Camry, Vios and at the moment a 2022 Yaris.  UK-spec cars have puny A/C in comparison with Thai-spec cars, which usually have a big compressor, double-thickness condenser and evap and a double thickness radiator. In Thailand its usually 30-45deg with strong sun.  Locals wear a coat if it drops to 25.  I use a foil reflector sheet in the windscreen when parked.  Start the motor and run the AC for a few mins with the door open to blow out the hot air. Normally have the A/C running in 'recirculation' mode. Nearly all cars have window tint film applied too.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2023 at 8:53 AM, TonyHSD said:

There are some other posts about Aygo x ac but I believe they explained exactly opposite, how the new cars actually has less affect from ac. 

I was one of them who posted about it in the opposite way.
Found the aircon to work better (than in Aygo II) when driving highway speeds, less limiting the speed, no extra consumption of fuel.
I did notice afterwards however that this is not the case in town driving.
There was a (sometimes major) extra fuel usage, the speed increase was limited noticably, you feel you're driving a small engine that is limited by the power taken from the aircon.

So with the current temperatures I changed, on town driving, to just opening the windows.
On highway driving, I am sure there is no need to spare the car the power taken by the aircon. I almost can't feel a difference once cruising speed is reached.

Saw an other post describing the minimal engine performance this morning.
The truth for me is that around 1990 the 70 hp would have been a bit generous. With what we are used driving now it's lower than what I would choose as minimal myself.

But for many, many reasons, this stays an ok car to buy, have, drive, own.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:27 PM, haelewyn said:

Found the aircon to work better (than in Aygo II) when driving highway speeds, less limiting the speed, no extra consumption of fuel.

I agree.

On the previous Aygos, putting the AC was like pulling the handbrake. I was very surprised to notice that on the Aygo X, the AC has no impact on the power and on the consumption 🙂

I agree with 152bobby though, the cooling is not impressive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the urge got too big and I’ve sold the Aygo X.

I dunno, I just fell out of love with it, to many silly little annoyances. It just lost that special something that the previous Aygo had.

There is space on the drive, and I’m not pining for it, got a good price as well, so was the right decision for me.

Decided to go without a 2nd car for now, cost of living and extremely low mileage just doesn’t warrant the outlay.

I still have the wife’s 2022 Yaris, so haven’t totally left the Toyota fold ☺️.

• Like 4

It's a pity, but esp. if you don't need it, it's best to save the money - Not only the price of the car, but the fuel and especially the insurance! That'll be a hefty saving over a year!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links